Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I just don't know why anyone thinks his crossing being good is such a massive positive given how we play. 

We don't belt crosses in, we have nobody to really aim them at and tactically it would be a step back. 

Having a player who is a terrific crosser of the ball on top of also being brilliant (De Bruyne) is clearly an asset, I'm not suggesting otherwise. 

But us signing someone whose crossing is their most notable trait is like Man City signing someone with great aerial presence but a shit first touch. 

I agree, he`s a great crosser of the ball, and works hard, a real team player, but doesn`t score too many goals. 

Basically a young version of Albrighton, and if we had a big striker, or a big attacking midfielder that likes to get in the box, i would be all over this, because i rate him, but we don`t, so unless we are going to have a change of approach and bring a couple of big men in to get on the end of crosses, i`m not sure i really see the point, especially because he is going to cost an absolute fortune from Burnley.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But what we need are players with the pace and trickery to get round the back and cut balls inside. It's not the same as whipping in big crosses from the touchline. 

Yes I agree, I was just pointing out that this narrative about crossing not being an important part of the way we play isn't strictly true. We need better creative players capable of delivering better passes, that's why Brooks would be the perfect player for us if we have to buy from this country.

I don't see it happening, and as far as I can tell we're only going off a Rob Dorsett tweet which is plainly at least 50% rubbish based on the suggestion Juve and Milan are after him.

I'm open minded but I can't see it.

Not thrilled about this, but I can't see it happening, either. Sure he could turn out to be decent, but he's not what we're after right now. If Tarkowski is £50m, can you imagine the price Burnley will put on McNeil?

I'm sure there's a better player, who's better suited to us, at half the price out there.

Juve? AC Milan? Doesn't seem a legit story to me.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

But what we need are players with the pace and trickery to get round the back and cut balls inside. It's not the same as whipping in big crosses from the touchline. 

We were 7th in the list of teams with the most crosses, the top two are Liverpool and Man City.

It not whether you whip in a big cross for the touchline or a pull back form the by line, it the quality of the ball that matters, ours isn't good enough.

He would be a decent signing at the right price. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

We were 7th in the list of teams with the most crosses, the top two are Liverpool and Man City.

It not whether you whip in a big cross for the touchline or a pull back form the by line, it the quality of the ball that matters, ours isn't good enough.

He would be a decent signing at the right price. 

It's a bit different if crossing is your forte when you're whipping them into Vardy rather than Chris Wood. We have a pace and power type winger in Barnes and if we want a volume of crosses we have Albrighton who i believe has put more crosses into the box over any other PL player in the last three season.

I'd much prefer a Brooks or Trincao type player who have assets of passing and dribbling and the ability to break lines in tight defensive teams. 

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

It's a bit different if crossing is your forte when you're whipping them into Vardy rather than Chris Wood. We have a pace and power type winger in Barnes and if we want a volume of crosses we have Albrighton who i believe has put more crosses into the box over any other PL player in the last three season.

I'd much prefer a Brooks or Trincao type player who have assets of passing and dribbling and the ability to break lines in tight defensive teams. 

Its about the quality not quantity!

Also he was joint 4th in the most dribbles in the PL......

Edited by coolhandfox

People saying he’s not that great he’s a 20yr old boy and one of Burnley’s best players even at that age. He’d be good for us and he’d only got up in valve too. I think people forget we’re leicester sometimes we’re not a top 6 club (yet) but we’re going in the right direction. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

People saying he’s not that great he’s a 20yr old boy and one of Burnley’s best players even at that age. He’d be good for us and he’d only got up in valve too. I think people forget we’re leicester sometimes we’re not a top 6 club (yet) but we’re going in the right direction. 

Yeah and you also forget that he's perfect for Burnley as he gets the ball and then fires it in to their big lads upfront who are desperate to get in the box.

We don't have that front line. If you're suggesting we buy him and the rest of Burnley's front-line, then yeah, I see the logic, but its a huge step back.

I don't think we're in for him anyway; its just his agent trying to get him a new contract. 

6 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Yeah and you also forget that he's perfect for Burnley as he gets the ball and then fires it in to their big lads upfront who are desperate to get in the box.

We don't have that front line. If you're suggesting we buy him and the rest of Burnley's front-line, then yeah, I see the logic, but its a huge step back.

I don't think we're in for him anyway; its just his agent trying to get him a new contract. 

A step backwards? He puts balls down the sides, round the back and through balls  if your saying he wouldn’t be a great addition to the squad I think your mad. Also Albrighton can’t have much more left in him so be a good replacement when he leaves. 100% he strengthens the squad.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Samilktray said:

If we ever give that money to Burnley for a player we genuinely deserve to fold

Eh I don't necessarily disagree but I was just saying, like any player, it's the value to his current club. If some idiot pays it it's not their fault. A bit like us and Maguire lol He's not worth £80m but we valued him at that and some idiot at United sanctioned the deal.

I rate McNeil, not at that money mind, but Dyche plays to their strengths and the players really do suit their style. It's the same reason why wouldn't go near Tarkowski, especially at the rumoured £50m.

23 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Alanis foresaw this.

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

DM is just another spoon to go in the spoon drawer with the others.

Give us a goddamn knife.

Hopefully he is a Versace Medusa Gilded Dessert Spoon.

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

The counter argument is he plays that way because Dyche tells him to, he doesn't have players like Vardy, Tielemans and Maddison to play with so has to play that way.

If he was feeding through balls for Woods and Barnes to lumber onto or trying to play intricate one twos with Jack Cork and Ashley Westwood he would be an idiot. Just because isn't playing that way doesn't mean he can't.

• Like 2

Just now, Captain... said:

The counter argument is he plays that way because Dyche tells him to, he doesn't have players like Vardy, Tielemans and Maddison to play with so has to play that way.

If he was feeding through balls for Woods and Barnes to lumber onto or trying to play intricate one twos with Jack Cork and Ashley Westwood he would be an idiot. Just because isn't playing that way doesn't mean he can't.

So just sign him and hope? Got it.

2 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Is that why Burnley's style is so unpopular?  Too much of this "fires it in", "desperate to get in the box" stuff instead of passing it around the back four all day long?  ;)

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Is that why Burnley's style is so unpopular?  Too much of this "fires it in", "desperate to get in the box" stuff instead of passing it around the back four all day long?  ;)

Its not unpopular, just different. We've been down the same road in the past and been criticised. You should stick with it, but maybe lose the chip on the shoulder!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

There is nothing wrong with that style. It is effective for you and works well for you, why should you change.  It's just that we don't play that way, and have a manager that won't play that way even if we are 1-0 down in the 95th minute, so that's why some of us can't see the point in us trying to sign McNeil (if true) if we are not going to get a couple of big men to get on the end of his crosses, and are not going to change our style of play to suit, which we won't