Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DerbyshireFox

UEFA Champions League 20/21

20 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The fact that Man U failed to take advantage does not mean that some of the first half decision making from the ref was not, to be polite, extremely strange.

So what's he gained from it? There's been no fix in favour of them, he's just made a terrible/wildly inconsistent decision. 

Every time someone gets something wrong, there seems to be a rush to assume the very worst of reasons. That isn't thinking, it's just knee-jerk assumption.

6 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Spot on. He can't even call out an outrageous decision. What's the point of having an ex-offcial if he's not going to call out wrong decisions.

He also actively uses the term "right to go down" etc...

The directive given to referees in the last 10 years is nothing short of a disgrace. Peter Walton is blatantly just a mouthpiece for officials but I think the fact an ex referee can say that is unbelievable and points to a serious flaw in the way football is officiated.

Oh and as for that Fred decision - you just have to laugh. I dread to think what they'll have lined up next week with the possibility of Leipzig banishing them from the competition, particularly now it's looking likely that you're going to lose at least one of Real Madrid or Inter too. The game is wretched.

6 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

So what's he gained from it? There's been no fix in favour of them, he's just made a terrible/wildly inconsistent decision. 

Every time someone gets something wrong, there seems to be a rush to assume the very worst of reasons. That isn't thinking, it's just knee-jerk assumption.

...it is every single match for them  and they seem to have a whole different set of rules and tolerance thus giving them an advantage in every game they go into.

The fact that they often fail to make the most of the 12th man is an embarrassment to them, their false fan base and their Sunday league manager.

2 hours ago, adejo92 said:

...it is every single match for them  and they seem to have a whole different set of rules and tolerance thus giving them an advantage in every game they go into.

The fact that they often fail to make the most of the 12th man is an embarrassment to them, their false fan base and their Sunday league manager.

So, at worst it's unconscious bias then. That's a million miles away from a fix. 

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

So, at worst it's unconscious bias then. That's a million miles away from a fix. 

Obviously they are not the same thing but unconscious bias can favour the beneficiaries of it very significantly and in a very unfair way. 

It seems to me that refs, in domestic matches at least, are almost scared to give decisions against Man U because every single decision in their games is so scrutinised in the media and on social media because of their vast army of plastics and the fact that every TV studio is packed full with their ex players for their matches.

Whatever the reason behind it, be that coincidence or something more sinister, nobody can argue that there is a growing body of evidence that Man U are getting a disproportionate number of decisions in their favour.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Obviously they are not the same thing but unconscious bias can favour the beneficiaries of it very significantly and in a very unfair way. 

It seems to me that refs, in domestic matches at least, are almost scared to give decisions against Man U because every single decision in their games is so scrutinised in the media and on social media because of their vast army of plastics and the fact that every TV studio is packed full with their ex players for their matches.

Whatever the reason behind it, be that coincidence or something more sinister, nobody can argue that there is a growing body of evidence that Man U are getting a disproportionate number of decisions in their favour.

Well, if there is a growing body of evidence (that can actually be proven), then something will be done about it. And there will be plenty that feel they can argue about it - I'm afraid you cannot confidently assume otherwise, just because it seems obvious to you.

24 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Well, if there is a growing body of evidence (that can actually be proven), then something will be done about it. And there will be plenty that feel they can argue about it - I'm afraid you cannot confidently assume otherwise, just because it seems obvious to you.

I'd say that there is an increasing amount of suspicion regarding the way they are officiated.

It seems to be game after game that they are getting decisions that no other team would ever have got. Early on in the PSG match there was a penalty call for hand ball...Was it hand ball? we'll never know because there wasn't a single replay nor was there a mention of it from the commentary team. Now i am not saying it was handball, because players appeal for anything, but my gut tells me that should it have been for Manchester United - we'd have had numerous replays and constant reminders of it throughout the 90 minutes.

I don't actually have anything specific against Manchester United as a club. They have a good squad and a brilliant history, it just seems that every game there is something which they benefit from.

This isn't an argument against you by the way, just a difference of opinion.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1