Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal.

On 29/08/2020 at 17:11, StriderHiryu said:

Slimani and Silva are among our highest earners despite not featuring in the first team, so even if we could use them, the club are trying to force them out to recoup those wages at a minimum to divide between the rest of the team and / or new signings. If Silva was on less, I think Rodgers might try to utilise him, but as he's on 80k a week, I think the club just to want to get him off the books as fast as possible. I think with both, the club would rather have no one but save the wages than to have either in the squad and costing us 150k a week+.

I am not sure how much Ghezzal is on but I'd imagine he was a Puel signing and not fancied at the club anymore either. I don't think he was that much worse than Gray or Albrighton and though he had many dodgy games, he had some good ones too. But again, I imagine the club want to force these players out to recoup wages and transfer fees.

Football can be a brutal business in that once your out of favour, you're banished to the sidelines until you can find another club. That said with what these players are earning it's hard to feel sorry for any of them.

Morale of the story is that it's best not to sign players in their peak on high wages unless you are absolutely certain they can do a job, otherwise they eat into your wages and can be hard if not impossible to shift. It's not just us in this position, Man U had similar problems with Sanches, Arsenal with Ozil and Chelsea with Drinkwater (lol).

...Ghezzal was poor out wide, we were warned by supporters from his old club how slow he was!!!

He looked a lot better in a central role, good in tight situation but we are overcrowded in this area so he is way down the order.

Yes this game can be brutal, but irrespective of how much you earn, in that environment you are competing with your peers and being told that you are not good enough hurts just a much, irrespective of how much you are earning.

• Like 1

Adrien Silva is in talks with Sampdoria. 

Slimani looks set for Fiorentina. Rennes struggling to stump up the cash. We’ve rejected an initial loan offer.

We rejected a loan offer from Fiorentina for Ghezzal. He’s back at Leicester. Nothing further to report. 

No news on Diabate, however he is back training at Belvoir Drive. 

No idea where Matty James is. He hasn’t even been spotted in the physio room. 

Amartey might get a chance as a CB. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Sly said:

Adrien Silva is in talks with Sampdoria. 

Slimani looks set for Fiorentina. Rennes struggling to stump up the cash. We’ve rejected an initial loan offer.

We rejected a loan offer from Fiorentina for Ghezzal. He’s back at Leicester. Nothing further to report. 

No news on Diabate, however he is back training at Belvoir Drive. 

No idea where Matty James is. He hasn’t even been spotted in the physio room. 

Amartey might get a chance as a CB. 

Would be good to get Slim and Silva off the wage bill if nothing else. Save us £150k a week - should pay the wages for at least 2 new signings.

if we rejected a loan for Ghezzal are we looking for perm for him? Or is he our left footed RW solution/ or diabaté :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

Would be good to get Slim and Silva off the wage bill if nothing else. Save us £150k a week - should pay the wages for at least 2 new signings.

if we rejected a loan for Ghezzal are we looking for perm for him? Or is he our left footed RW solution/ or diabaté :ph34r:

Well we are part of the way there!!

On 04/09/2020 at 19:30, FoxinNotts said:

Such a shame, good player, really wish we could make it work for him

Thats just it, he isn't a good player. We were stiched up again with a player who really struggled against championship opposition let alone premiership teams.

Even at Monaco he was a bit part player.

1 hour ago, splinterdream said:

We're clearly at the upper limits of our wage budget, I reckon these players have to go before we make anymore signings. 

I think the pandemic has placed additional pressure on the wage bill. We already had a proportionally high wage bill to turnover ratio, so we need to get rid before we can bring in. 

Brendan likes to work with a smaller squad. I suppose the ultimate question is, can he work with what he has currently, or do we need additions. 

Manchester City and Chelsea aside, no one has spent a great deal buying countless additions this summer.

I’d like to think that we maybe have some movement this week, now that most of the squad will be back in and around Belvoir drive. Given where we stand, Ghezzal wouldn’t be any worse than having Barnes / Grey in line up. I do think we need to maybe shed two or three of Albrighton, Barnes, Grey, Diabate, Ghezzal, Perez if we want to add in another wide player. 

Yesterday gave up the chance to have a look at CBS and maybe we’ll decide we’ve got enough cover in that department. 

1 hour ago, splinterdream said:

We're clearly at the upper limits of our wage budget, I reckon these players have to go before we make anymore signings. 

Our wage limit can be increased much more easily since the changes to FFP last summer. We also sold Maguire who was on £90k a week, Chilwell on £65k a week and King has left on £40-50k a week. 

We will move Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal on this summer for sure. Probably loans again but it won't stop us from signing players first as it didn't last summer either.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Our wage limit can be increased much more easily since the changes to FFP last summer. We also sold Maguire who was on £90k a week, Chilwell on £65k a week and King has left on £40-50k a week. 

We will move Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal on this summer for sure. Probably loans again but it won't stop us from signing players first as it didn't last summer either.

We lost money in our last set of accounts, if the owner want the club to be truely self-sufficient, I can't see them want that to be the case every year.

Yes we have had out goings but they probably pay for better contracts extension for are key players Maddison et all. 

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We lost money in our last set of accounts, if the owner want the club to be truely self-sufficient, I can't see them want that to be the case every year.

Yes we have had out goings but they probably pay for better contracts extension for are key players Maddison et all. 

Absolutely, this is a long term project to making us self sufficient. There were a number of years after the title win that we turned a profit. The relaxing of the FFP will mean we don't have the same short term issues with wages. Our intention will be that Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal are all off the wages for this season again, hopefully fully but at the worst partially and they'll factor that in. We won't jeopardise our progression and need to recruit by waiting until they are gone before we strengthen ourselves, it completely defeats our ambition. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We also sold Kapustka, who I think was on around £30k.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

And we gave madders a new contract, probably Soyuncu, then there's Brendan, Castagne also, I'm sure we could afford more but think there maybe dissapointment at missing out on CL and we've decided a policy on the long game. Get the new training facilities running, build the new stand and aim for top 6 and a cup run with what we have. I think it's the right move in uncertain times we're in. 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

I think the pandemic has placed additional pressure on the wage bill. We already had a proportionally high wage bill to turnover ratio, so we need to get rid before we can bring in. 

Brendan likes to work with a smaller squad. I suppose the ultimate question is, can he work with what he has currently, or do we need additions. 

Manchester City and Chelsea aside, no one has spent a great deal buying countless additions this summer.

I’d like to think that we maybe have some movement this week, now that most of the squad will be back in and around Belvoir drive. Given where we stand, Ghezzal wouldn’t be any worse than having Barnes / Grey in line up. I do think we need to maybe shed two or three of Albrighton, Barnes, Grey, Diabate, Ghezzal, Perez if we want to add in another wide player. 

Yesterday gave up the chance to have a look at CBS and maybe we’ll decide we’ve got enough cover in that department. 

Were you watching? Proof beyond all doubt that we need a PL level CB, or two if (which I doubt) we’re going to play 3 at the back.

As we stand it’s a choice between Peterborough’s finest, Biscuits Benkovic or Ndidi for the CB position alongside Söyüncü.

Enough cover?!?

46 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

And we gave madders a new contract, probably Soyuncu, then there's Brendan, Castagne also, I'm sure we could afford more but think there maybe dissapointment at missing out on CL and we've decided a policy on the long game. Get the new training facilities running, build the new stand and aim for top 6 and a cup run with what we have. I think it's the right move in uncertain times we're in. 

Not a chance we go with what we have given we bombed massively in the 2nd half of the season and we now have Europe to contend with. If we don't arrest the slump then we will be playing Championship football next season and the deck of cards come down and it's a very bleak future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Were you watching? Proof beyond all doubt that we need a PL level CB, or two if (which I doubt) we’re going to play 3 at the back.

As we stand it’s a choice between Peterborough’s finest, Biscuits Benkovic or Ndidi for the CB position alongside Söyüncü.

Enough cover?!?

I thought I heard BR say in his post match interview yesterday that the transfer business will not be done by next week?  Suggesting more is going to happen,  but mainly outbound?

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

I thought I heard BR say in his post match interview yesterday that the transfer business will not be done by next week?  Suggesting more is going to happen,  but mainly outbound?

A few months ago I could have sworn I saw someone say our transfer dealings will be done in the last week, can't remember the context but maybe true 

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Can see this windfall being used to extend Wes Morgan and Matty James's contract to June 2029...

• Haha 1