Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

On 07/02/2022 at 21:16, lcfc278 said:

I’m finding all of the clubs official social channels promotion of the AFCON win quite cringey, like they’re almost trying to claim some of Mendy’s glory.

If he was a first team regular and hadn’t been left out of our squads or stopped from leaving I’d get it, but today it just comes off a little crass. 

Didn't we celebrate Slimani's win with Algeria?

17 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

I like Mendy and as I've said before its beyond me how he isn't holding down a regular place.

When he was dropped from the squad he was actually enjoying his best spell of form with us. How about experimenting with him and ndidi playing a higher role. 

Yes, but we had signed Soumare. Mendy was out the door, but international flights prevented his physical taking place. It was bad luck (and our CB crisis meant Benko was given the spot; stupid, yes, but hindsight is 20/20.)

Mendy got on the pitch. :)

When we were trying to calm the game down today against Leeds to protect the 1-0 lead I think he did a good job. He does generally do that job pretty well. 

I remember when the ball was pinging around it landed at NM's feet and I felt becalmed because it was him. He's a limited player, but can do a job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Crazy he has been here 6 seasons and played only 65 league games.

He needs to play instead of Ndidi until Ndidi gets his rashness out of his game. Ndidi has been too reckless in his game in recent months, and given he is such a liability with us beating the press and getting the ball through the middle, I would love to see a run of games for Mendy and see how it goes. Can’t be worst than Ndidi at the moment.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

He needs to play instead of Ndidi until Ndidi gets his rashness out of his game. Ndidi has been too reckless in his game in recent months, and given he is such a liability with us beating the press and getting the ball through the middle, I would love to see a run of games for Mendy and see how it goes. Can’t be worst than Ndidi at the moment.

Wilfs passing seems to have regressed this season and it was piss poor to start with. Mendy is miles better at passing and ball retention. But he can’t win the headers like Wilf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's a touch player. Someone who plays those deft little passes in midfield. I think he and Wilf could work well in a 2 in front of a 3 with Youri in front again feeding Madison and the forwards.

His lack of height is possible what's holding him back.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

His lack of height is possible what's holding him back.

This is another price of our inability to defend set pieces.I’m pretty sure the last time Mendy had a run in the team, the set piece issue came up and BR decided we didn’t have enough “physicality” in the team. NDidi does win a fair share of defending set piece headers and it would be physically impossible for Mendy to replicate that. He’s not been seen since. I like him and he could be a useful player if we could solve the defensive issues in other ways…we ought to be able to -not every PL team is full of 6’ 3” giants..he could get another chance if Hamza becomes more of a spare utility defender than a midfielder…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tickler28 said:

Just my opinion but I think Mendy has been treated badly by us and not given the respect and game time he deserves.

I for one believe that he's a far better player than any of us have ever given him credit for.

Mistake in my mind not to include him in the Europa squad again. 

Some time soon hell leave us and be a regular for someone else and well truly see what we missed out on.

Agreed. We won't find a lot of players willing to play his squad role either. Deserves more respect. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Crazy he has been here 6 seasons and played only 65 league games.

He was out with long term injuries..

So from those 6 probably only available

3 seasons..

I rate Mendy & has suffered with the typical FT-scapegoat syndrome..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tickler28 said:

Just my opinion but I think Mendy has been treated badly by us and not given the respect and game time he deserves.

I for one believe that he's a far better player than any of us have ever given him credit for.

Some time soon hell leave us and be a regular for someone else and well truly see what we missed out on.

He was poor December onwards last season, especially when we played 4 1 4 1/4 2 3 1 and there was a need to upgrade on him last summer with a more physical ball winning DM who could play the "Wilf role". However, we didn't recruit one unless the recruitment team/Rodgers thought Soumare could be moulded into that role despite him playing as a box to box midfielder in a 2 in France. 

Partnering him with a more physical box to box midfielder like KDH might compensate for his lack of physicality, as pairing him with Youri in a double pivot last season, or as a solo DM, resulted in us getting totally overran in midfield. Hopefully he proves the doubters wrong, including me - he did well yesterday when he came on. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Agreed. We won't find a lot of players willing to play his squad role either. Deserves more respect. 

There’d be plenty of players of his ability that would play his role in the squad abs pick up his wages.

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

There’d be plenty of players of his ability that would play his role in the squad abs pick up his wages.

But he is the one we have..Don't understand where your coming from..

Plus that period last season where we were desperate to cover the absence of Ndidi, Mendy did a top job..

We also other players out,but he played this important role damn well, so well that we found ourself climbing & vying & holding the  top 2-3/4th..

If we recognise, that without Ndidi,or Ndidi being below his avg-top form & struggling, we are weaker & the team

struggles to consistently find balance & desired/expected form.

Then it's logical and goes without saying what Mendy did/does for squad & gameday team..

We or better said the FT forum has

& Carries such a negative narrative,we can't spot the good things and positives those individual players bring..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

On 05/03/2022 at 21:01, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Didn't we celebrate Slimani's win with Algeria?

I genuinely can't remember but I don't think it was as over the top as we were with this one; I counted about 4 different posts from the club over the course of the day they won it. At that point in time the way he'd been kept out of squads and not played at all it felt a little crass.

Was good to see him back on the pitch on Saturday though, feel he's definitely been underrated a little in his time here but then having said that I wouldn't be upset if he left in the summer.

On 05/03/2022 at 20:04, Ric Flair said:

Stupid not to have named him instead of Jakupovic IMO and then just used Odunze as 3rd choice keeper.

don't think Odunze has been here long enough to be on the B list

On 06/03/2022 at 11:17, tickler28 said:

I think it’s fair to say that a lot of players have been misjudged by us and will be again in the future. I think we need to reflect on that. That is one thing but being forgotten by the club is another. He always has been a good steady player. We did try to play him alongside Wilf and at first it didn’t work well and they kept taking each other’s space and negating the individual qualities of each. The spell he had at the start of last year showed his worth and then we let him vanish again.He has many qualities as listed above. For me I like the way he is constantly reading the play and looking for space to be able to offer himself. I hope he at least appears more regularly on the bench and features in games. Wouldn’t blame him for looking elsewhere soon enough though. 

• Like 1

Thought he was very good when he came on. Absolutely the right decision by Brendan to bring him on, but what does this mean for Bouba? He’s been underwhelming at best and I think the re-emergence of Mendy pushes Bouba down the pecking order.

I think he'll go in the summer and I don't blame him. To be left out of the squad completely must have been hard for him to take. Particularly with his international aspirations. Fortunately, for him, his national team already knew his worth. 

He's a limited player, but so are Hamza, Albrighton and Amartey. That doesn't mean they can't be very valuable squad players if you know their worth and play to their strengths. Mendy as a completer/finisher when we're defending a narrow lead is ideal and arguably the best in the squad at that role. It's quite a niche role, but still a valuable one. Especially this season when you consider how many games we've thrown away in the closing stages. 

• Like 2