Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

11 hours ago, Ricey said:

Played very well today but he struggles in more physical matches. Today was ideal for him.

In the ECL I suspect we’ll drop Soumare in that deeper role, which by all accounts he prefers.

Where have you seen this out of interest? Noticed you posted something similar in the Soumaré thread?

My view was that he was brought in more as a box to box type player, rather than a purely holding CDM. In France he played in a midfield 2, so again not in that Ndidi position shielding the defence. 

4 hours ago, Edingleyfox said:

Brentford were a big physical team and Mendy coped extremely well. He struggled when he came to the club with injury and comparisons to Kante, but he is a very good player. Looked completely in control yesterday.

What you say is totally correct, but he was aided by the fact that Brentford stood off our midfield in a low block. Mendy more or less had the freedom of the pitch in the first half. 

Strange tactic really as we know our team can fold quite easily under a bit of pressure 

5 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

Where have you seen this out of interest? Noticed you posted something similar in the Soumaré thread?

My view was that he was brought in more as a box to box type player, rather than a purely holding CDM. In France he played in a midfield 2, so again not in that Ndidi position shielding the defence. 

...played predominantly as a DM for Lille!!!

Which would suggest a Ndidi with better ball skills and how I suspects Rodgers wants Ndidi to play.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, frakenfox said:

Papy's a cracking little player. He has a helluva workrate, getting into positions where he can assist. He's not visionary nor creative in that Madison or Youri way but he makes the links, keeps the ball moving and helps us in that manner; understated, almost invisible, but important to our continued possession.

He is very positionally aware... covering if the back four are out of position.  He had a good game yesterday 

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone mentioned it on here before but there are no other players in the team who are more trustworthy in retaining possession and not giving the ball away cheaply. Granted he doesn’t take many risks but there have been a couple of eye-catching sweeping cross field passes from him in the last two games that have been right on the money.

We have only seen the best of Mendy in snatches but unlike Soumare it is obvious what he adds to the team. Just a shame he can’t play in Europe, where his tactical discipline would be such an asset…

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Prefer him in the team to Wilf when we have a proper defence, far better footballer and helps our retention of the ball

I agree, Wilf does though give us the height and physicality missing from our team, especially at set pieces.

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

Thought Papy was great yesterday. He's become an important member of the squad. Rarely spectacular but I thought his ball retention was excellent yesterday.

What we miss in physicality when Wilf is injured we gain in ball control when Papy plays. Considering he'd played in massive game for Senegal just a few days ago, I thought his concentration was excellent.

I just hope we can show more confidence in the future and control the match from start to finish, which we are certainly capable of with Mendy dictating the play.

The first half Vs Brentford is a great example of the potential we have to dominate teams.

Might be a bit difficult to keep that momentum up given our hectic schedule & injuries, but the future looks promising.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Utterly bizarre that he wasn't brought into the European squad over Hamza. Going to be a big miss thursday

Assuming it’s something To Do with homegrown players. 

2 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Utterly bizarre that he wasn't brought into the European squad over Hamza. Going to be a big miss thursday

It was either register Hamza, un-register someone else (e.g. Benkovic who was registered for some bizarre reason), or leave an empty space because we don't have enough homegrown players for a 25-man UEFA squad.

12 minutes ago, lfu said:

It was either register Hamza, un-register someone else (e.g. Benkovic who was registered for some bizarre reason), or leave an empty space because we don't have enough homegrown players for a 25-man UEFA squad.

...Mendy was halfway out of the door, only circumstances prevented him from going, like Hamza!!!

Rodgers has a habit of getting lucky and things fall for him, but Mendy has always been a good player, very much Puel rated him highly, and I always got the impression that we were getting half of what he could do.

Glad to see that he is being more proactive on the pitch.

2 hours ago, Spiritwalker said:

I agree, Wilf does though give us the height and physicality missing from our team, especially at set pieces.

Agree we need fofana and evans playing, but there is no way we are signing anyone better. Soumare was millions and is miles behind Mendy in everything

On 21/03/2022 at 06:49, Claridge said:

I really hope not, anybody but him

Mendy is a different player to ndidi and again to soumare. Mendy often steps off the physical challenge and comes in when the ball is down. He is always looking to close down space and passes when not in possessions and find space when in possession. Given the ball he is technically neat and reliable. The thing that irritates me is that so often he finds good space and doesn’t get the ball. I don’t think his team mates trust him with the ball enough or to find a good forward ball maybe. The same used to happen to ndidi more understandably. Whereas when ever tielemans finds space and requests it he invariably gets it. Ironic as he has not been so reliable with the ball of late. (Although probably still one of our best). I have seen this improve though which was what happened when he that great spell at the start of last season. Ndidi is the best destroyer disrupter tackler and has great physical capability. Soumare is not that. He likes to link and dribble/progress through the lines. It’s no surprise they all do better when there is consistency in selection and they get a run in the team. 

• Like 2

Mendy played well yesterday. 

Ndidi is a superior player.  When people have suggested Mendy should be picked ahead of Ndidi after a couple of good games, there have been games where he has mot played well.

It is good he is around to deputise for Ndidi but, for me, Ndidi is one of our best players.

Edited by majaco