Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

2 hours ago, majaco said:

Mendy played well yesterday. 

Ndidi is a superior player.  When people have suggested Mendy should be picked ahead of Mendy after a couple of good games, there have been games where he has mot played well.

It is good he is around to deputise for Ndidi but, for me, Ndidi is one of our best players.

Mendy picked ahead of Mendy?.. but what if Mendy isn't available?

Agree with much of what was said about Mendy above. His positioning is excellent:

- when we are trying to pass from the back, he gets into space very quickly to give his teammates an extra option;

- as someone said above, when one of the defenders is out of position, he immediately moves to cover (a few times he was positioning himself as the CB and I thought he was excellent);

- when in defence generally he gets into good defensive position to either intercept or to prevent the pass in the first place (don’t underestimate his contribution in this regard - it is just as effective as Ndidi standing back a bit more and then rushing out in anticipation for the interception).

With him in the side, we are so much better with ball retention, beating the press, and being in control.

His passing is also more than tidy. With his confidence coming back, he also makes quite a few forward passes including a few on the money long balls. In fact, I think Tielemans nowadays makes more backpasses than Mendy.

With Evans and Fofana back in the side, I honestly think having Mendy makes our team so much better. It frees up attacking players like Maddison from having to come back to get the ball deep.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

And with the football that Rodgers wants to play, focusing on ball retention, it does not make sense to play Ndidi instead of Mendy (provided we have a proper defensive back line) given his lack of ball control / passing abilities (worst than our CBs). As much as I love Ndidi, it has been years now since he joined us and he really needs to keep training on ball control and passing until he is at Premier League level (afterall he plays in the Premier League!).

10 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Agree with much of what was said about Mendy above. His positioning is excellent:

- when when are trying to pass from the back, he gets into space very quickly to give his teammates an extra option;

- as someone said above, when one of the defenders are out of position, he immediately moves to cover (a few times he was positioning himself as the CB and I thought he was excellent);

- when in defence generally he gets into good defensive position to either intercept or to prevent the pass in the first place (don’t underestimate his contribution in this regard - it is just as effective as Ndidi standing back a bit more and then rushing out in anticipation for the interception).

With him in the side, we are so much better with ball retention, beating the press, and being in control.

His passing is also more than tidy. With his confidence coming back, he also makes quite a few forward passes including a few on the money long balls. In fact, I think Tielemans nowadays makes more backpasses than Mendy.

With Evans and Fofana back in the side, I honestly think having Mendy makes our team so much better. It frees up attacking players like Maddison from having to come back to get the ball deep.

he's basically "kante lite" isn't he.   Does everything Kante does, but just not "quite" as well. 

He isn't a destroyer like Ndidi, but he receives the ball and recycles it much better.   When we are attacking, he operates further up the pitch which gives teams another player to worry about in midfield. 

If anything he has been unfortunate in our squad that Ndidi had the rise that he did.  Imagine a scenario where the incumbent was Mendy...  Then Ndidi comes in for the odd game here and there.   People on here would be saying "he is sloppy in the pass, he doesn't offer much other than tackling.  He doesn't carry the ball, he only ever passes sideways or backwards"

I think Ndidi is great. He has been fantastic for us.  But i have this niggle that the midfield feels more complete with Mendy in it... Maybe that's as a result of KDH's industry in the middle as well?  Reduces the need for a single destroyer because he is everywhere nipping at heels and winning the ball back. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

he's basically "kante lite" isn't he.   Does everything Kante does, but just not "quite" as well. 

He isn't a destroyer like Ndidi, but he receives the ball and recycles it much better.   When we are attacking, he operates further up the pitch which gives teams another player to worry about in midfield. 

If anything he has been unfortunate in our squad that Ndidi had the rise that he did.  Imagine a scenario where the incumbent was Mendy...  Then Ndidi comes in for the odd game here and there.   People on here would be saying "he is sloppy in the pass, he doesn't offer much other than tackling.  He doesn't carry the ball, he only ever passes sideways or backwards"

I think Ndidi is great. He has been fantastic for us.  But i have this niggle that the midfield feels more complete with Mendy in it... Maybe that's as a result of KDH's industry in the middle as well?  Reduces the need for a single destroyer because he is everywhere nipping at heels and winning the ball back. 

Agree with everything you have said. You may be right too with KDH’s industry, the combination with Mendy is just right. 

10 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

I don’t know mate. Rodgers saw the two of them in training everyday, and he is paid millions by the club to be making these decisions correctly. He had the knowledge and should not need hindsight for this one …

Edited by Tom12345

People forget that Puel originally picked Mendy ahead of Ndidi to start alongside Tielemans in his first game with the club, and he was injured in warmups.  It isn't just what a player does individually - it's how they complement the other players in the side.  Obviously Ndidi is the superior defensive disruptor, but his weakness on the ball ties the hands of creative MF like Tielemans and KDH by denying them a conduit to receive the ball from the back.  Mendy links together a side with good ball-playing midfielders in a way Ndidi doesn't.  It would be nice if you had a player who could give you the best of both of them (like Kante) but when players like that end up on a side at our place in the pecking order, they don't stay there for long before the great white sharks swallow them up.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I don’t know mate. Rodgers saw the two of them in training everyday, and he is paid millions by the club to be making these decisions correctly. He had the knowledge and should not need hindsight for this one …

My response was to the other poster

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

Never thought about it this way, but you have a great point here.

Interestingly Maddison on the right never really seemed to work too well either... before KDH came into the team and we went 433. His workrate, keeping the ball ticking over and hard running make the team functionally better, there's no mistake about it.

Mendy, KDH, Tielemans and Maddison all in the same team means we have some great passers of the ball in the team. Ndidi was always best as the lone destroyer with Tielemans and Maddison as the two 8's.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Royston. said:

I would like him to carry the ball forward rather than just retain possession but that is probably not his game nor what he is instructed to do.

....he has always looked capable of doing so, there is no reason why he can't do that, or as you say he is playing to instructions!!!

21 hours ago, Tanya said:

I can't believe we registered Benko over Papy....

We will really miss Papy this Thursday.

I've been a long time member of the Papy fan club. He's a such a humble guy and a solid footballer. Didn't throw a strop at being left out of the squad for the first half of the season and then comes in and performs at such a high standard. He's the perfect squad player. I'd give him another contract but he's good enough to be playing more often, even for another Premier League club.

Rodgers, in my opinion, needs to get his Papys out for the lads more often.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Loved the way he waved his arms around when Maddison got fouled by that Scottish guy :wub:

McTominay, with his broad Lancs accent, is about as Scottish as Matt Elliott or Che Adams...  lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bert said:

What I noticed about Mendy on Saturday was he seemed to play forward a lot more. 

He was doing that at Afcon too. I dont know whether he's being practising or just more confident playing as a regular for Senegal, but he was putting some lovely diagonal passes behind the defence.

11 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

That last paragraph about kdh is spot on. It’s all about the balance. Kdh does much more off the ball and compliments Mendy and tielemans well. Not saying Wilf isn’t still great and very useful but with a stronger defence behind and those three in midfield we still have that defensive resilience and more fluid transistion into attack. This will change again if we lose tielemans and we won’t find a like for like but it will open up opportunities for another to shine. One door closes ….

1 hour ago, Supergray22 said:

That last paragraph about kdh is spot on. It’s all about the balance. Kdh does much more off the ball and compliments Mendy and tielemans well. Not saying Wilf isn’t still great and very useful but with a stronger defence behind and those three in midfield we still have that defensive resilience and more fluid transistion into attack. This will change again if we lose tielemans and we won’t find a like for like but it will open up opportunities for another to shine. One door closes ….

.....and the lock jams.

• Haha 2