Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

3 hours ago, MalletFox said:

Thought he was very good when he came on. Absolutely the right decision by Brendan to bring him on, but what does this mean for Bouba? He’s been underwhelming at best and I think the re-emergence of Mendy pushes Bouba down the pecking order.

that we finally have a proper DM available to back up Wilf and he can be used in his actual role as a box to box player

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I think he'll go in the summer and I don't blame him. To be left out of the squad completely must have been hard for him to take. Particularly with his international aspirations. Fortunately, for him, his national team already knew his worth. 

He's a limited player, but so are Hamza, Albrighton and Amartey. That doesn't mean they can't be very valuable squad players if you know their worth and play to their strengths. Mendy as a completer/finisher when we're defending a narrow lead is ideal and arguably the best in the squad at that role. It's quite a niche role, but still a valuable one. Especially this season when you consider how many games we've thrown away in the closing stages. 

But even the best players are limited...Never understand this Choice of words or turn of phrase.

Albrighton for example doesn't have to prove anything..

I noticed he went straight down the tunnel at FT against Leeds, no celebrations or crowd interaction. 

Just an observation, might not mean anything as he might have needed the toilet or something. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

that we finally have a proper DM available to back up Wilf and he can be used in his actual role as a box to box player

I look forward to seeing this, apart from one spirt against Moscow away he’s not shown any signs that he actually has the running power to be box-to-box at this level. Hope you’re right though

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

But even the best players are limited...Never understand this Choice of words or turn of phrase.

Albrighton for example doesn't have to prove anything..

It was just for economy of words really. Mendy isn’t a great passer, dribbler, creative outlet or even tackler. But the post was supposed to be a positive one of demonstrating that players can still be valuable if used correctly. Mendy is calm, good in possession and retains the ball in a way others seem incapable of doing.

You’re right on Albrighton. He doesn’t have to prove anything. Another who is reliable, adaptable and gives his all for the cause. But as a winger? If we were relying on him for goals, assists and as a creative outlet we’d probably be struggling. He’s another one who sets the platform for more naturally gifted players to perform (or less limited ones if you prefer). 

On 07/03/2022 at 09:17, lcfc278 said:

I genuinely can't remember but I don't think it was as over the top as we were with this one; I counted about 4 different posts from the club over the course of the day they won it. At that point in time the way he'd been kept out of squads and not played at all it felt a little crass.

Was good to see him back on the pitch on Saturday though, feel he's definitely been underrated a little in his time here but then having said that I wouldn't be upset if he left in the summer.

....perhaps the number of posts assigned to Mendy and Senegal's victory reflected the man and not the triumph!!!

I have said a long time ago that he is a very good player, who we have not seen the best of. Either through formation or what he has been asked to do, but I feel there is so much more that he could bring to the team but has not been assertive enough. 

He and Hamza had one foot out of the door only for circumstances to cause a delay in their departure, it would be something else if they were to prove the coaching staff got it all wrong. 

8 hours ago, MalletFox said:

I look forward to seeing this, apart from one spirt against Moscow away he’s not shown any signs that he actually has the running power to be box-to-box at this level. Hope you’re right though

he's not been in a position to really

• 2 weeks later...

He controlled the first half brilliantly.

Always in space to receive a pass from defence and link the play to the midfield. Brentford really could not get anywhere near him and his presence allowed Tielemans / Maddison to focus on attacking the final third.

Second half Brentford started to push their fullbacks further forward, which exposed our midfield shape a little so Mendy became less involved. 

Overall a great performance from Papy and proves once again he is a valuable squad member. 

• Like 3

Not his biggest fan but enjoyed his game today. Did well carrying the ball and getting more stuck in than he's done before. 

While Youri had players marking him, they didn't seem concerned about Mendy but we used that to our advantage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanya said:

I love Mendy so much. Just does the simple things right. Is always available for a pass and keeps possession.  Made some progressive passes forwards too and dropped seamlessly into the backline when Justin got forward.

Pretty much sums up why I like him. He's a selfless, intelligent player who does his thing with a minimum of fuss. Reads the game well and knows where to be. Just keeps things ticking over. Must be great to have a player like that in your team.

• Like 3

was good today - such a strange player in that he goes from being completely a decent 1st team option, then unwanted to being more relevant than a 20m signing (and arguably Praet as well through selection / transfer policy)