Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

9 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Is the England team more corporate than club football? The players donate their appearance fees to charity, so they're not being paid to play. The team is defined by a common identity - you have to be English to play. It's not a team of stars plucked at great expense from around the world - it's a team of players of the same nationality.

I get why some people aren't into it - we've been fed some utter dross over the years. But it's very weird indeed when people go out of their way to boast about the fact that they dislike their own national team and - in some cases - actively support other countries.

Clapham knows 🙌🏻

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gerblod said:

Youri is Flemish and the Flemish people are very down-to-earth. They're not impressed by much and not over expressive either.

There's a book on pro-cycling by Harry Pearson - 'The Beast, The Emperor and the Milkman'. In it he describes the Flemish attitude to cycle racing - they admire "toughness, obduracy and fortitude; guts, nuts and phlegm". Their races are the toughest on the pro circuit - usually held in spring, when it's often pissing down, over stretches of cobble (which are usually mud-caked if it's been raining), at average speeds of nearly 30mph. I wouldn't walk my cycle down some of the stretches!

And Flemish riders have won by far the majority of these contests.

So Youri chose the soft option to become a pro footballer :).

Tielemans was born in Sint-Pieters-Leeuw about 30 miles from the birthplace of the great Eddie Merckx, in Tielt-Winge probably, the toughest cyclist of them all. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Fair enough.

Club over country for me, always.

Not saying I'm supporting Belgium, but I'd be proud if a team with 3 of our players won it.

At least they're progressive, unlike England.

I just can't get excited over an international tournament any more.

Would rather cheer on the Leicester players representing their countries. 

Agreed. I'll be supporting Belgium, Denmark and Turkey. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

I rode Der Ronde sportive in 2010, over all the legendary cobbles, in rain and even a hailstorm. Then on the Sunday watched the pros. They got the better weather!

A great weekend of beer, cycling and beer, in that order.

I still have my Kwaremont beer glass. Funnily enough the Kwaremont isn't that steep but is long, running up through the village where in the square there's a giant TV screen with the race on, and lots of beer! 

You sir, are a hero! And Belgian beer has no equal!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

As soon as rodgers joined chilwell came out and did an interview saying it was likely to keep top players like him and maguire too. What a plank.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/11651683/ben-chilwell-says-leicester-players-more-likely-to-stay-after-brendan-rodgers-arrival

Interesting quote from Chillwells initial thoughts on Rodgers... How things change :D

We've struggled against the lesser teams when we've had a lot more possession, because maybe it's been a bit too slow. It hasn't been intense and probably quite easy to play against.

"Breaking them down hasn't really been our strong point this season but hopefully, with a new manager coming in, he can really freshen things up."

46 minutes ago, enmac said:

Tielemans was born in Sint-Pieters-Leeuw about 30 miles from the birthplace of the great Eddie Merckx, in Tielt-Winge probably, the toughest cyclist of them all. 

I'd reckon, with the nickname 'Cannibal' and his number of wins in GTs and the Classics you're not far wrong. He won the Paris-Roubaix three times. Most cycling fans reckon that's the toughest race of them all.

• Like 1

I’m more bothered about Leicester, I’d be happy if England won a major tournament mainly because I think it would give us more pull as a country on the world stage when silly things like the ESL emerge, but, Leicester are my main focus and that includes the lads that pull on our shirts. As we have a fair few Belgian representatives I would be absolutely delighted if they won the Euro’s, but I’m also hoping Youri has an absolute stinker until he signs a new deal haha.

Plus, I really dislike Harry Kane, for no reason other than he has an extremely punchable face.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

I'd reckon, with the nickname 'Cannibal' and his number of wins in GTs and the Classics you're not far wrong. He won the Paris-Roubaix three times. Most cycling fans reckon that's the toughest race of them all.

Just discovered that Merckx raced in Leicester/shire in 1970. Can't find details of the course. Think Mallory Park was involved. Didn't win. 

https://bikeraceinfo.com/worlds/worlds-1970.html

1 hour ago, enmac said:

There's a brief glimpse of Merckx congratulating the winner here. 

Yes, I was there. Still got the official programmes. We stood on a corner of Newbold Verdon village centre. Silly thing was, I wasn't a fan then so I didn't know who these blokes were!

It was sunny and dry - perfect for a competitive race. They were riding out and back to the now nonexistent Saffron Lane cycle stadium.

I slept through the Jimi Hendrix set at the 1970 IoW festival too. I have the bad habit of no sense of occasion :(.

Thank you for posting this :appl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, enmac said:

There's a brief glimpse of Merckx congratulating the winner here. 

Before my time...  A person I occasionally went motor racing marshalling with once drove his car as the pace car for The Milk Race in Leicester, and had a doohicky that turned the lights green in the city when approaching a junction :D 

Edited by PhillippaT
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I’m more bothered about Leicester, I’d be happy if England won a major tournament mainly because I think it would give us more pull as a country on the world stage when silly things like the ESL emerge, but, Leicester are my main focus and that includes the lads that pull on our shirts. As we have a fair few Belgian representatives I would be absolutely delighted if they won the Euro’s, but I’m also hoping Youri has an absolute stinker until he signs a new deal haha.

Plus, I really dislike Harry Kane, for no reason other than he has an extremely punchable face.

With you on that one. I still maintain that I can’t tell you what he’s good at. He’s slow, not great in the air etc - but he ain’t half greedy and likes to shoot. I can’t stand his voice either.

4 hours ago, gerblod said:

Yes, I was there. Still got the official programmes. We stood on a corner of Newbold Verdon village centre. Silly thing was, I wasn't a fan then so I didn't know who these blokes were!

It was sunny and dry - perfect for a competitive race. They were riding out and back to the now nonexistent Saffron Lane cycle stadium.

I slept through the Jimi Hendrix set at the 1970 IoW festival too. I have the bad habit of no sense of occasion :(.

Thank you for posting this :appl:

I can remember as a young child going to watch a part of this event at the banked up Saffron Lane cycle track. Also remember going with some friends to get some autographs at the University halls of residence on Manor Road in Oadby where most of the riders were staying. I might have met the great Eddie Merckx without even knowing it!

Somewhat off the YT topic here. lol

Anyway get that contract extension signed please Youri.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bert said:

Makes me sick the amount of people happy to turn their back on their country. It’s embarrassing. 

I just think if someone's willing to do it with England then they'd happily do it (or have done when we were down and out) with leicester. There is no difference to me. You can't champion a teams success then wash your hands of them when they're not so great. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Fair enough.

Club over country for me, always.

Not saying I'm supporting Belgium, but I'd be proud if a team with 3 of our players won it.

At least they're progressive, unlike England.

I just can't get excited over an international tournament any more.

Would rather cheer on the Leicester players representing their countries. 

I'll be cheering on the leicester players not their countries through out because their performance concerns me more than their national teams. But as I am a leicester fan I'm an England fan and no amount of shite performances from either can unfortunately change that. So yea I hope the leicester players are great. I hope they're absolutley horrific if we play them to be honest. 

I was excited for every season in the championship on our descent and rise even when there wasn't really anything to be excited about. Literally anything can happen (as we proved in 15/16) and nothing will ever stop me dreaming lol

I'm not saying you specifically here but I do think that most who turn their back on England because they aren't winning things are the people who'll be off if we suddenly nose dive back down the leagues. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Where have you heard that?

Been a few rumours in the 150/175k area 

can’t see why he would stay for less than that - a ‘big’ club will pay him 200k+

if he stays another year then thats an extra cost of 5mill for us but we still get a big fee next summer

If he signs a new four year deal to 2025 then we don’t need to sell for two years. The extra 10m cost will be more than worth it. (Would be more than 10m btw as  agents fees, loyalty bonus’ etc )

28 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I would imagine that, even amongst groups that vehemently disagree on many things, that most would think that getting Tielemans to stay for 2 more seasons would be absolutely massive & essential for the club.

Rubbish as usual - Sell him before he turns crap again.

• Haha 3