Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ricardo Pereira

3 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Whilst I get the excitement over Castagnes start, he is clearly a right footed player. In the same mould James Justin is. So I'm not sure it's as straight forward as assuming his game will mirror exactly that it does on the right for obvious reasons his body shape, preferred foot etc all has to adapt.

Hope he can of course but cut the bloke some slack if and when he does switch.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that he's played basically half his career games on the left.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Ffs, Chilwell again. He also offered a lot of strengths as a LB. He was still developing - was in many ways an asset to our squad and should be remembered as such. He's gone now, can we just move on.  Honestly, it's like a stuck record...

Oh, hang on. 

Such as? Only strength i could see that he brought to the team was that he had an engine on him. Look at full backs like Ricardo and Castagne and they are miles ahead in about every department

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Conveniently ignoring the fact that he's played basically half his career games on the left.

No not at all ignoring it. Just conscious people elevate on here quickly. I'd imagine he prefers playing on the right and may have been in a similar position to Justin at Luton who having played right back found himself used on the left due to Stacey being equally good on that side and Justin having to adapt the role.

This guy can clearly play left side, just may not be his natural preference. 

42 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Perhaps that's why elite level scouting and international selection isn't determined by self appointed armchair 'experts' on football forums. 

You still didn't answer his question. I'd also like to know more of Ben Chilwells strengths 

• Like 1

I actually think castagne is a better option when we're using inverted forwards. Castagne is better suited on the overlap with the right winger due to his crossing ability, whereas pereira is better used cutting in on the inside of the right wing which wasnt possible last year with perez playing so narrow. It will be interesting to see if under can provide the width on the right hand side necessary for pereira to make runs into the box, otherwise we might be better off playing castagne there and trying pereira LB, actually i think pereira rw, castagbe rb would work wonders as their playstyles suit each other.

Edited by honeybradger

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Can’t believe he’s been injured this long.

We are so lucky he got injured right before lockdown instead of in the middle of a full season. 

F me. Imagine being on the treadmill with a view of a lorry. 

This new training ground is going to make a proper difference! 

Edited by blue blood

He's putting that knee through some really tough work there, that treadmill is extremely high pace and he looks like he has full range of motion in it.

Maybe Rodgers means he could be back with the first team by the end of October which would be ideal, hopefully he can be back on grass in the next couple of weeks and maybe play in some behind closed doors games soon.

55 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Castagne's break for our third goal was very reminiscent of ricky at his best 

If you mean the guy who skipped down the wing and passed inside to Perez, you have a case of the wrong Belgian. MOTD got that wrong too, it was the brilliant Dennis Praet in his yellow boots. 

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

Why? - He's gone, it has been done to death and you'll simply disagree. Do you actually think that he was signed by Chelsea and capped for England based solely upon the fact he "has an engine on him"? Ask yourself, in both cases, are they that myopic?...is it vaguely possible that, maybe, just conceivably they can see something beyond some members of an online football forum and your own preconceptions and bias?

I'm sure you'll agree, we don't need to discuss Chilwell's mobility and pace on the flank. What I find so astonishing is this notion that he is a poor crosser of the ball. His decision making in the final third has no doubt at times been questionable, but his ability to get the ball in the box both from set piece/dead ball and open play - particularly from the byline is indisputable. His potency on the overlap is limited by the fact that he's fairly one footed, and will work on the ability to cut inside and open the game on his right foot - essential traits of the modern full back. At this point, you can immediately counter with the fact that so is the ability to defend - and I absolutely concede that there are other more solid and reliable left backs in the league. Alexander Arnold, for all of his prodigious, precocious talents and in spite of his footballing brain and guile can also be questionable at times in terms of his reliability as a defender. Full-backs have always been required to defend, at one time that was their sole role. Today, defensive savvy alone does not define a world-class full-back. The growing defensive influence of the deep-lying sitting midfielder means that, for full-backs, ability going forward is arguably more desirable. Chilwell is unfairly maligned though - in spite of some recent poor performances. He demonstrated against Spain excellent defensive positional awareness and on a one to one basis, he can be hard to get by his instinctive body shape being a crucial part of his game - that I believe will get even stronger at Chelsea. Also his high number of clearances are testament to his aerial ability which again for some bizarre reason, many Leicester supporters also bewilderingly remained utterly oblivious to - and, he doesn't concede many fouls. 

He's also still only 23 years old, so his club and international career has plenty of potential - Lampard will have signed him confident that he will fit his system  and adamant that he and his coaching staff can progress Chilwell into a world class talent as I maintain that we could have done had he remained here. He'll need to respond quickly since Hudson-Odoi, and Pulisic are not known for tracking back and helping out a full-back with defensive duties. I'll also concede that he can be susceptible to physically dominant wingers. 

Look at any touch map and you'll see the potency that Chilwell had as the 'out ball' and his willingness to dribble and potential in advance play brought us and will bring Chelsea the ability to break down a low block. We definitely benefited from his high intensity sprints, aerial prowess and attacking inclination, His intelligent movement and rapid acceleration discourage opponents from getting too tight to him, but his crossing ability means standing off can be equally as threatening. When he receives a pass out wide, notice that Chilwell tends to take his first touch diagonally towards the touchline, an ability which will allow him to increasingly create time and space for himself to put ever improving crossed into the penalty area.

As I said and in all honesty, I'm sick of defending the lad. He certainly wasn't and isn't the finished article and there's much for him to improve. It may well be in Castagne as it stands, we have secured the services of a much better player when he slots into the left back position. But Chilwell has so much room to grow which is why he has been signed by Chelsea and identified as an international prospect. Just as he has acquitted himself admirably in an England shirt, I am certain that he will do the same at the Bridge.

To reiterate, he's gone now, can we not move on instead of this incessant ill feeling, constant questioning of his ability or actually, in some cases borderline obsessional disrespect? I'm grateful for his contribution to this club - for whatever faults he might have, I'll remember him fondly - (in particular that sweet parting strike against Watford). The suggestion that "the only strength that he brought to the team was that he had an engine on him" is frankly as absurd as it is one dimensional.

For the love of God, can we look to the future now? - in particular, the partnership of Ricky and Timmy? 

Well said! He has gone so just let it go some of you! Blimey can't we all just say thanks Ben and good luck 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Line-X said:

Why? - He's gone, it has been done to death and you'll simply disagree. Do you actually think that he was signed by Chelsea and capped for England based solely upon the fact he "has an engine on him"? Ask yourself, in both cases, are they that myopic?...is it vaguely possible that, maybe, just conceivably they can see something beyond some members of an online football forum and your own preconceptions and bias?

I'm sure you'll agree, we don't need to discuss Chilwell's mobility and pace on the flank. What I find so astonishing is this notion that he is a poor crosser of the ball. His decision making in the final third has no doubt at times been questionable, but his ability to get the ball in the box both from set piece/dead ball and open play - particularly from the byline is indisputable. His potency on the overlap is limited by the fact that he's fairly one footed, and will work on the ability to cut inside and open the game on his right foot - essential traits of the modern full back. At this point, you can immediately counter with the fact that so is the ability to defend - and I absolutely concede that there are other more solid and reliable left backs in the league. Alexander Arnold, for all of his prodigious, precocious talents and in spite of his footballing brain and guile can also be questionable at times in terms of his reliability as a defender. Full-backs have always been required to defend, at one time that was their sole role. Today, defensive savvy alone does not define a world-class full-back. The growing defensive influence of the deep-lying sitting midfielder means that, for full-backs, ability going forward is arguably more desirable. Chilwell is unfairly maligned though - in spite of some recent poor performances. He demonstrated against Spain excellent defensive positional awareness and on a one to one basis, he can be hard to get by his instinctive body shape being a crucial part of his game - that I believe will get even stronger at Chelsea. Also his high number of clearances are testament to his aerial ability which again for some bizarre reason, many Leicester supporters also bewilderingly remained utterly oblivious to - and, he doesn't concede many fouls. 

He's also still only 23 years old, so his club and international career has plenty of potential - Lampard will have signed him confident that he will fit his system  and adamant that he and his coaching staff can progress Chilwell into a world class talent as I maintain that we could have done had he remained here. He'll need to respond quickly since Hudson-Odoi, and Pulisic are not known for tracking back and helping out a full-back with defensive duties. I'll also concede that he can be susceptible to physically dominant wingers. 

Look at any touch map and you'll see the potency that Chilwell had as the 'out ball' and his willingness to dribble and potential in advance play brought us and will bring Chelsea the ability to break down a low block. We definitely benefited from his high intensity sprints, aerial prowess and attacking inclination, His intelligent movement and rapid acceleration discourage opponents from getting too tight to him, but his crossing ability means standing off can be equally as threatening. When he receives a pass out wide, notice that Chilwell tends to take his first touch diagonally towards the touchline, an ability which will allow him to increasingly create time and space for himself to put ever improving crossed into the penalty area.

As I said and in all honesty, I'm sick of defending the lad. He certainly wasn't and isn't the finished article and there's much for him to improve. It may well be in Castagne as it stands, we have secured the services of a much better player when he slots into the left back position. But Chilwell has so much room to grow which is why he has been signed by Chelsea and identified as an international prospect. Just as he has acquitted himself admirably in an England shirt, I am certain that he will do the same at the Bridge.

To reiterate, he's gone now, can we not move on instead of this incessant ill feeling, constant questioning of his ability or actually, in some cases borderline obsessional disrespect? I'm grateful for his contribution to this club - for whatever faults he might have, I'll remember him fondly - (in particular that sweet parting strike against Watford). The suggestion that "the only strength that he brought to the team was that he had an engine on him" is frankly as absurd as it is one dimensional.

For the love of God, can we look to the future now? - in particular, the partnership of Ricky and Timmy? 

Thanks Mrs Chilwell.