Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

6 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

Dickov misses the penalty I think

I’m almost certain it was Izzet. Dickov was our main and best penalty taker but Adams had taken him off early so I’m certain Izzet took it and it was an utterly dreadful pea-roller late in a game that cost us the game. Was a title bottlejob penalty under pressure.

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

Not going to be remembered fondly for me. He is an obviously good player. But he has two huge flaws that have really ruined things particularly this season - he is a big game bottler regardless of how hard you try and convince me otherwise. The other is that he was publicly defending Rodgers earlier in the season when it was obvious to me that he'd given up on the club. That for me makes him partially complicit in our demise, even if he did perform well early doors.

same here. good player but can easily be forgotton. ill remember a worse player in tielemans more than maddison just becaue of that fa cup goal

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Disagree. And people have warped memories of Izzet if they’re genuinely liking that post.

Muzzy was part of 2 separate relegated sides and while he was good in 03/04, like Maddison this season he was also accused at the time of not really show up in the big games and also missed a crucial penalty as well (was it vs Blackburn?) after Dickov had been subbed off, and he was utterly utterly diabolical in 01/02, far far worse than Maddison has been this season. 

Izzet was a very good player for us  especially under Mickey Adams (though I always think his time under MON gets overrated retrospectively due to his longevity) for where we were at the time, but people act like he was like prime Maradona on here sometimes and like he like didn’t have some absolutely rotten long spells of form or entire seasons for us. 

Muzzy also stayed and got us promoted.. This team is far better than the one he was in! I think he would have done much better

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Maddison isn’t the first to make mistakes and get relegated. A relegation doesn’t make a player bad either. 

Just look at our opposition today. 20 years ago they were relegated with Di Canio, Les Ferdinand, Defoe, Carrick, Joe Cole. These were top players.

They were relegated on 42 points so I think they were pretty unlucky tbh

8 hours ago, lcfc043 said:

To be fair, if we did play until the end of the season like the Southampton game, we would have stayed up. There were some terrible misses. 

It generally helps playing against Southampton.

Maddison has been our best player but strangely I hold him accountable as one of the main reasons we have been relegated. I believe his Bournemouth pass and the poor Everton penalty cost us at least 3 points. Good player but mentality is very weak.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, chapero82 said:

Muzzy also stayed and got us promoted.. This team is far better than the one he was in! I think he would have done much better

The first time we went down he publicly requested a transfer and got transfer listed but no one bid for him because his wages were too high, plenty of fans had turned on him after that season, then the 2nd time we went down he left on a free because he had deliberately wound his contract down. I hardly think you can praise him for loyalty and staying after relegation.

If FoxesTalk had existed in 2002 you’d have seen all the same posts about Izzet as you see now with Maddison. I’m not convinced this team is better tbh. Again, people forget your crap games and fallouts with the fans over time, as they have with Izzet and as they will with Maddison.

Edited by Sampson

1 hour ago, jmono84 said:

Maddison has been our best player but strangely I hold him accountable as one of the main reasons we have been relegated. I believe his Bournemouth pass and the poor Everton penalty cost us at least 3 points. Good player but mentality is very weak.

You could pick every player out for mistakes this season. For instance, Iheanacho’s performance at Southampton was much worse then Maddison’s against Bournemouth. Miss after miss after miss. If Iheanacho scores just two of those chances then we win and stay up.

Relegation is a team responsibility. 

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

The first time we went down he publicly requested a transfer and got transfer listed but no one bid for him because his wages were too high, plenty of fans had turned on him after that season, then the 2nd time we went down he left on a free because he had deliberately wound his contract down. I hardly think you can praise him for loyalty and staying after relegation.

I’m not convinced this team is better tbh. Again, people forget your crap games and fallouts with the fans over time, as they have with Izzet and as they will with Maddison.

That’s not true at all! He could have left but he turned Middlesbrough down and stayed with us to help us get promoted.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2231036/izzet-rejects-boro-switch

• Haha 1

Just now, Fox92 said:

It is strange. You could pick every player out for mistakes this season. For instance, Iheanacho’s performance at Southampton was much worse then Maddison’s against Bournemouth. Miss after miss after miss. If Iheanacho scores just two of those chances then we win and stay up.

Of course you could if you look at the whole season but the things Maddison has done was when it mattered and was the run in to the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmono84 said:

So thats 3 points out of the 114 points on offer over the season. Whos responsible for the other 111?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Of course you could if you look at the whole season but the things Maddison has done was when it mattered and was the run in to the end of the season.

Assist at Leeds, assist at Fulham, goal at Fulham. That’s off the top of my head. Which other player has done the same or more in the same time frame? None. I was told Vardy should have taken the penalty against Everton. He wouldn’t miss. But oh he did the following game.

Maddison gas contributed 10 goals and 9 assists in a relegated team.

Edited by Fox92

Like many of our lads, he's a confidence player 

When the goings good and we were winning games, playing good football, he looks like an absolute world beater 

When it's all going to s**t and we need someone to drag us out the depths, he (like nearly every player) just couldn't produce 

Some may not like his attitude, but let's not pretend he's not been a huge plus for us over his time here 

He absolutely managed to tarnish any legacy he could've had here in the last few months. He'll thrive where ever he goes as it's likely to be a team on the front foot and he won't have to dig deep. Which is perfect for him as ultimately I think that what will hold him back from being a truly an elite player is his weak mental mindset

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Assist at Leeds, assist at Fulham, goal at Fulham. That’s off the top of my head. Which other player has done the same or more in the same time frame? None. I was told Vardy should have taken the penalty against Everton. He wouldn’t miss. But oh he did the following game.

Maddison gas contributed 10 goals and 9 assists in a relegated team.

It’s only my opinion mate. For me he cost us 3 points in the run in to this season when the pressure was really on us to get the points and stay up.

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Ghosted almost a third of a season. Truly remarkable.

Will get a move somewhere and be decent August to Feb and then go into hiding again.

Which attacking players don’t though? I even remember Haaland having a poor few weeks and some people trying to weirdly claim “ManCity are acktually better with Haaland”.

Attacking players are inherently a lot more inconsistent than defensive players. If our defence had been better and we’d have finished about 14th people would be saying what a great season Maddison had to get that return in such a crap team. Maddison has been far from the reason we’re going down.

Edited by Sampson