Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

How much do you think he will go for, realistically? A guess of cause but can't see it being much more than 25-30 million as clubs know we can't hold out forever as we need to sell to rebuild, unless Top covers it himself. I'm not having £40 M plus, no chance. 

He's been a very good player for us and will get into the England squad again. The issue is we're more likely to remember 2 pretty big mistakes that have contributed to our downfall, sadly. 

He is, and will continue to be, a very good player but clearly Brendan's influence in mentality - at a crucial time of his football development - was poor. 

Just now, Sir Shep said:

How much do you think he will go for, realistically? A guess of cause but can't see it being much more than 25-30 million as clubs know we can't hold out forever as we need to sell to rebuild, unless Top covers it himself. I'm not having £40 M plus, no chance. 

It depends how financially screwed we really are, which no one fully knows at this point. Could be a bit like when Leeds were going bust in the 00s and they had to sell all their players cheaply.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Shep said:

If as reported Spuds, Liverpool and Newcastle are interested I think we can get 40m.

One issue is how long we are prepared to wait to get top dollar and how crucial is a sale to funding our summer window.

2 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

I think we’ll sell him for 40, but Norwich have a 15% sell on clause so that gives us 34 total. 

Just now, fox_up_north said:

He's been a very good player for us and will get into the England squad again. The issue is we're more likely to remember 2 pretty big mistakes that have contributed to our downfall, sadly. 

He is, and will continue to be, a very good player but clearly Brendan's influence in mentality - at a crucial time of his football development - was poor. 

Absolutely right. Personally I cannot see past the Bournemouth goal he gifted them and the missed pen at Everton - literally points which would have kept us up.

Good player for the good times, good stats but soft mentality and no bottle. Sounds perfect for Spurs!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

It depends how financially screwed we really are, which no one fully knows at this point. Could be a bit like when Leeds were going bust in the 00s and they had to sell all their players cheaply.

Just now, JimmyC74 said:

If as reported Spuds, Liverpool and Newcastle are interested I think we can get 40m.

One issue is how long we are prepared to wait to get top dollar and how crucial is a sale to funding our summer window.

If cause I have no inside knowledge at all as to how bad or really bad relegation will be to us but yes I'm of the opinion it'll depend how long we can hold our for. Same for Barnes etc. 

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Not going to be remembered fondly for me. He is an obviously good player. But he has two huge flaws that have really ruined things particularly this season - he is a big game bottler regardless of how hard you try and convince me otherwise. The other is that he was publicly defending Rodgers earlier in the season when it was obvious to me that he'd given up on the club. That for me makes him partially complicit in our demise, even if he did perform well early doors.

Try going in tomorrow and publicly criticise your boss……good luck…..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Not going to be remembered fondly for me. He is an obviously good player. But he has two huge flaws that have really ruined things particularly this season - he is a big game bottler regardless of how hard you try and convince me otherwise. The other is that he was publicly defending Rodgers earlier in the season when it was obvious to me that he'd given up on the club. That for me makes him partially complicit in our demise, even if he did perform well early doors.

I think Maddison sums up the Rodgers era quite well: hugely talented, a likeable guy, but ultimately let’s you down when you need him the most. 

A player of his talent could have been the person that single handedly dragged us to safety. Tielemans the same. But neither could turn it on when it really mattered and that Everton penalty miss in retrospect has sent us down. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Huh? Did you even read the article? That was while we were in the Premier League, Izzet even talks about the relegation battle 

Apologies they came back in the summer and he turned them down again so he could help us get promoted and then when we did return he assisted 14 goals which was the most assists of any PL player that year…

IMG_6501.png

14 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

More than that. He has just chipped in with a fair amount of goals and assists in a side that was relegated. 

I can see someone like Newcastle paying over the odds for him. 

Someone mentioned that Ake went from a championship side for 40+ million so Maddison will fetch more. 

18 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Good point. This is quite problematic. Apparently the end of June is the cut off date for seasonal FFP. If we can bank, say, 80m for Castagne,.Madders, Barnes and Kels by then, it takes some of the heat off FFP. 

That all told, the buyer knows that. And could low ball us knowing we are keen to sell by then. 

19 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

I for one, will miss Maddison falling to the floor and rolling about clutching his ankle, when we’re watching a KDH - Soumare axis in Port Vale next season.

Port Vale aren’t in the Championship. 

12 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

Apologies they came back in the summer and he turned them down again so he could help us get promoted and then when we did return he assisted 14 goals which was the most assists of any PL player that year…

IMG_6501.png

That’s wrong. Izzet got 14 and Di Canio 12.

edit - I can’t read lol

Edited by Fox92

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Good point. This is quite problematic. Apparently the end of June is the cut off date for seasonal FFP. If we can bank, say, 80m for Castagne,.Madders, Barnes and Kels by then, it takes some of the heat off FFP. 

That all told, the buyer knows that. And could low ball us knowing we are keen to sell by then. 

Exactly. We can expect lowball offers so need to have a clear understanding of our budget for this summer is, what we need versus what we would like to recover in transfer fees.

only 68 days until the Championship starts. Tick Tok.

35 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Gordon went to Newcastle for £50mill. Players like Ismailla Sarr have had tags of £30-40mill in the championship having done nothing anywhere near the level of Maddison. He's an England international with marketability and homegrown in his favour too.  He cost us about £20million as a player who'd never played premier league football.

We won't get a bidding war going unless Maddison is open to join various clubs. And usually by this stage players already have their move marked out, so we'd need other clubs to usurp current offers to him, not us. If Newcastle are offering him 200k a week and Chelsea roll in with 250kpw then maybe we get to play them off for bigger bids if he's ok going to both. But it's unlikely.

When it comes to what we get for him, I don't think his contract situation is a massive factor, or that we're in the championship. The fact is a player that top clubs will want, is now available. His price will be determined by the market value of players around his level. If they're going for 50-60mill, that's what we'll be offered. We might get lowballed, but there's a good chance someone will pay market value because they want to get it done. Clubs can't afford to lowball forever, as they risk missing out on the player, so then it'll depend on what they value more, getting him in at market value or losing out on him to a rival in order to save 10mill. Spurs and Newcastle will be interested. Chelsea want any and everybody. Man Utd have been loosely linked.

Just now, Happy Fox said:

We will get £30-37m at best I reckon.

60 million or make him play out his last year.

If we are only going to get 35 his talent in the Championship would promote us and be a greater long-term value than 35 million quid.

30 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

IMG_6501.png

Yes and Maddison still wins the numbers game so I don’t get your argument trying to use goal contributions. Maddison got 10 goals and 9 assists vs Izzet’s 2 goals and 14 assists in 03/04 and 4 goals and 3 assists in 01/02. Yet

Yes he got loads of assists in that one season, way more than he ever did in any other season because he took all our set pieces in Mickey Adams side built of 6’5 set piece side full of players good in the air. and Maddison still got more goal contributions this season than Izzet that season. 

That’s the point, people are arguing we’d have stayed up if we’d had Izzet in this team this season rather than Maddison. Personally I think Izzet would be far less suited to this team, Izzet wouldn’t have got all those assists because we don’t have Les Ferdinand or big central defenders at corners and Maddison still got more goal contributions anyway.  Some people on here seem to think Izzet was like prime Maradona who won games on his own sometimes, instead of as very good long passer who did well with certain players alongside him and also had entire seasons here where he looked lost. Many gave exactly the same arguments about Izzet have good technique but not having the mentality if you go back to both relegation seasons but people forget this in time.

Edited by Sampson

46 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Good point, if taking 30M means we can use those funds straight away I’d probably take it. Either way there’s no way we can afford his wages even post relegation clause reduction.