Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Whip round for Gary!!

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

He was born in Leicester, he won promotion with Leicester, he won the top divison golden Boot with Leicester, He's the clubs 7th highest scorer of all time. He's Englands 3rd highest scorer of all time. He a huge fan and bigs the club up at every opportunity on TV. 

Perhaps you shouldn't be too surprised of sickened by love for him on a Leicester City supporters board. 

Never meet your hero bud :whistle:

11 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Never meet your hero bud :whistle:

He's not my hero and I don't really care if you don't like his politics or personality that's all a matter of opinion and up for debate and it's a pretty boring debate. 

What's not up for debate is he is genuine legend of the club. And we are not talking about an Andy King kind of legend here. A proper legend up there with Vardy, Walshie, Chandler, Worthington, Weller and Shilton. And seeing as this is a football board that will mean something to a lot of posters

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

He's not my hero and I don't really care if you don't like his politics or personality that's all a matter of opinion and up for debate and it's a pretty boring debate. 

What's not up for debate is he is genuine legend of the club. And we are not talking about an Andy King kind of legend here. A proper legend up there with Vardy, Walshie, Chandler, Worthington, Weller and Shilton. And seeing as this is a football board that will mean something to a lot of posters

I never referenced his politics, I couldn’t care less if he wants to babysit migrants, well done him I guess.

However, I will contribute in a way that I see fit. I reserve my right to make a tongue in cheek remarks alluding to numerous awful experiences of friends/family/colleagues (the list is endless lol).

Don’t let it bother you so much :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I’m glad you brought up Frank Worthington though, what a lovely chap who I had the great pleasure of meeting at a game many years ago.

So upsetting to learn of the deterioration of his health, I do hope he’s doing as well as can be expected.

11 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Because they are paid out of a pretty much guarenteed national fund. No one would bat an eye if he was raking in millions off sky.

The bbc shouldn't be used in such a way, it sits without peer and doesn't have to compete with other services. Imo, it should be used to give opportunities to up and coming talents and provide a steady stream of people into other services. How many young actors/news readers etc etc would love an opportunity for a shot at a bbc show. 

Open up iPlayer - the sheer depth of young actors and writers creating drama and programming then is absolutely unreal. Sadly the BBC cut BBC3 and now such channels have to get huge ratings to get a slot on the ‘normal’ television. The comedy series This Country and a couple of others being the most recent.

Given MOTD is one of the few marketable brands that makes the BBC money (or certainly know it did), you can see why they invest the money on it. The same way Top Gear was too

10 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I’m surprised MOTD still gets so many viewers. You can see highlights and goals pretty much instantly nowadays whether that’s on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or the sky sports app. 

I preferred MOTD in the 90’s as a child, I would only need to ignore the news & teletext and I’d be able to watch MOTD not knowing any of the scores. 

Quite simply people work. Older generation too know where to watch the goals, Saturday 10.30ish every week 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, String fellow said:

Whilst Sue Barker, Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell have all been blown out from A Question of Sport, Old Big Ears is not only still minting it on Match of the Day, but he's also there for another 5 years. Not bad, considering he doesn't even present the Sunday edition of the show. Personally, I'd prefer to see someone like Gabby Logan presenting it, some different pundits, less of the pointless chat/analysis, a different theme tune and a change of name for the programme itself. The name Match of the Day implies one match - the best - not every PL match played that day.

Well that's because the technology only existed to broadcast one match when it was set up in the 1960s - the best match is still the one played at the top of the show. It's one of the most famous sporting brands and theme tunes in the country, the Beeb would be mad to trash it.

• Like 1

I’m sure he will be able to cope with his pay cut, might have to eat less bags of crisps ️. The BBC is Funded by the public through the TV license so of course his and all people who work for the BBC should have their pay scrutinised so the license payer gets value for money.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Open up iPlayer - the sheer depth of young actors and writers creating drama and programming then is absolutely unreal. Sadly the BBC cut BBC3 and now such channels have to get huge ratings to get a slot on the ‘normal’ television. The comedy series This Country and a couple of others being the most recent.

Given MOTD is one of the few marketable brands that makes the BBC money (or certainly know it did), you can see why they invest the money on it. The same way Top Gear was too

Some good points. It's interesting to see top gear brought into it too. From what I understand they forked out more money per year at the start of the "new era" trying to bring in "top talents" and it mostly flopped. Seems to be picking up a bit recently with slightly cheaper alternatives though... :dunno:

And I'm not saying they shouldn't invest money into shows that make them money, my argument lies with the amounts. Doesn't matter whether you like Gary or not, the money he's paid for hosting the show is obscene when taking into account where it comes from, and what exactly his job entails. Vast majority of people are tuning into the highlights, not Gary's "banter". 

38 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

I’m sure he will be able to cope with his pay cut, might have to eat less bags of crisps ️. The BBC is Funded by the public through the TV license so of course his and all people who work for the BBC should have their pay scrutinised so the license payer gets value for money.

Absolutely not. He's a Leicester legend and in 2002 he rang some folk up to save us from administration. So that means no Leicester fan is allowed to question whether there's value for money in paying him £1.3m a year, from the proceeds of a regressive tax on watching tv, to ask Alan Shearer to tell us what an unbelievable player Kevin De Bruyne is for 20 minutes a week.

• Like 2

Legend? Let's not forget that the former Leicester, Everton, Barcelona, Spurs and Grampus Eight player only spent 7 of his 16 playing years at City, and only the first 4 of his 80 England caps were gained at City. Much is made of his career bookings total of zero, but to me that suggests that unlike the great Jamie Vardy, he didn't get stuck in to help out the defence when needed. Essentially he was a goal-hanger. Also JV has remained loyal to City and not jumped ship, unlike GL did when the pound signs floated in front of his eyes. I not knocking Gary, just trying to put his playing career into perspective. He was at the same school as me, and apparently to toughen him up, he was given a diet of steak (and probably spinach). Goalkeeper Carl Jayes was also at our school in the early 1970s.  

34 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Legend? Let's not forget that the former Leicester, Everton, Barcelona, Spurs and Grampus Eight player only spent 7 of his 16 playing years at City, and only the first 4 of his 80 England caps were gained at City. Much is made of his career bookings total of zero, but to me that suggests that unlike the great Jamie Vardy, he didn't get stuck in to help out the defence when needed. Essentially he was a goal-hanger. Also JV has remained loyal to City and not jumped ship, unlike GL did when the pound signs floated in front of his eyes. I not knocking Gary, just trying to put his playing career into perspective. He was at the same school as me, and apparently to toughen him up, he was given a diet of steak (and probably spinach). Goalkeeper Carl Jayes was also at our school in the early 1970s.  

The comparisons to Vardy is totally different... Lineker left to join the league Champions. You rekon any of our players would reject Liverpool/Man City now? Not a chance. Plus who the fvck would reject Barcelona. He won the golden boot and is one of the Countries greatest goalscorers. "Just a goal-hanger" such a playground term... a striker is supposed to score goals.

Also, as I mentioned, he got a consortium together to save the club. He backed £5m bid to save us ffs. If that doesn't fit your "legendary" status then I don't know what you have to do.

I love Vardy and in terms of contribution to the club I think he's our best ever, and I didn't have the pleasure of seeing Lineker, but if a player now moved from us to the league champions then onto Barca/Madrid/Bayern then I'd probably think.... wow.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

Incredibly well-known, highly-regarded TV personality in high pay shocker. It's the way it works. You expect him to be on £30k with a Ford Mondeo?

I find it weird some sections of our support will use any opportunity to slate him. He's undoubtedly one of our biggest ever club legends for reasons already pointed out in this thread and he's easily our most famous ex-player and outspoken supporter. 

MoTD is f**king fantastic. As well as being super nostalgic, it epitomises chilled out Saturday nights: a few beers in front of the telly and an hour and a half of football escapism. Gary is a huge part of that, for me.

As for his personality off-screen, whatever. People in the public eye aren't always friendly to every randomer who approaches them and sticks an iPhone in their face. Even the "nicest" perceived celebs can be tricky to work with, believe me. I know people who have worked with him and I've never heard anything out of the ordinary.

I did however get into a lift with him at The London Studios about five years ago, and I can confirm he smells fvking sublime.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2

I'm slating Gary - just pointing out the salient facts about of his playing career. As regards his reduced salary, it's still enormous compared to the amount that thousands of essential workers earn in this country, like doctors and nurses. As a BBC TV licence payer, I see nothing wrong in questioning whether or not he provides good value for money. 

Don't get the complaints.

One of the best Leicester players I ever saw. Put money into the club when we desperately needed it. Love his dad jokes and daft humour.

Don't agree with everything he says politically but I don't have a problem with him expressing it. Same with Peter Shilton. We'd all have no friends and hate everyone if we all only liked people who's political views we shared perfectly.

Who cares how much he gets paid?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, String fellow said:

Whilst Sue Barker, Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell have all been blown out from A Question of Sport, Old Big Ears is not only still minting it on Match of the Day, but he's also there for another 5 years. Not bad, considering he doesn't even present the Sunday edition of the show. Personally, I'd prefer to see someone like Gabby Logan presenting it, some different pundits, less of the pointless chat/analysis, a different theme tune and a change of name for the programme itself. The name Match of the Day implies one match - the best - not every PL match played that day.

I’m trying to work out if this post is tongue in cheek.