Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

CITY V Burnley POST MATCH 4-2

28 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Was a huge surprise given how Keown described Burnley’s pressing. They were lGegenpress Klopp esque. 

Jimmy Dunne is the next Nile Ranger. The praise of a back four which conceded four goals was hilarious. 

Thankfully in the studio, I realised that Keown was on planet nowhere as Shearer and Wright discusses the game 

What exactly in his character and performance did you see that reminds you of Nile Ranger?  Or is it just a case of "let's be as unpleasant as we can to the opposition debutant"?

Very pleased! Justin was so good offensively, defensively he was caught out a fair amount but it's to be expected, hopefully he can improve with time. 

Lots of people speaking about Tielemans as if it's Maddison's fault he was playing poorly... I'm not sure how accurate that is. Let's see how things play out. 

Edited by Nicolo Barella

12 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

What exactly in his character and performance did you see that reminds you of Nile Ranger?  Or is it just a case of "let's be as unpleasant as we can to the opposition debutant"?

It’s a reference to when we played Newcastle in televised fixture years ago and the pundits raved lyrically about an average performance. 

As I’m on a Leicester forum, most will pick up the reference. So keep ya flatcap on 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s a reference to when we played Newcastle in televised fixture years ago and the pundits raved lyrically about an average performance. 

As I’m on a Leicester forum, most will pick up the reference. So keep ya flatcap on 

He only asked a well reasoned question lol  calm down me duck. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Was a huge surprise given how Keown described Burnley’s pressing. They were lGegenpress Klopp esque. 

Jimmy Dunne is the next Nile Ranger. The praise of a back four which conceded four goals was hilarious. 

Thankfully in the studio, I realised that Keown was on planet nowhere as Shearer and Wright discusses the game 

Yeah thought the commentators were really buying into this false burnley narrative. Kept going on about how well organised and good at defending they were, and how hard the team was working, and yet they created 4 chances, and we picked them apart and they conceded 4! 

2 hours ago, Always Next Year said:

Don’t agree with you one bit, yes he may have been partly at fault for both goals but he had two of the tallest players to mark and did not have the height to deal with it. Woods not only handle the ball but also pushed the lad over. I personally thought he had a good game and his goal made his day.

I do also wonder if they targeted him deliberately too. Wood would move onto Justin knowing he'll be able to beat him if the cross is good. Burnley are decent in the air and cause many a defender problems.

5 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I was wondering more which brewery he was sponsored by...

@gw_leics772 momentum be blowed, it's more about mentality (but I genuinely think we're splitting hairs over a word rather than actually disagreeing). For sure, the habit of winning is an important component (I just felt I wanted to use that word correctly, cannot imagine why) but to get anything out of Manchester City, we need the right players and to set up right. I'd be surprised if we don't play Wilf and Mendy in midfield.

As well as Mendy has played I still think he should be 'rested' for Man City. Playing both Ndidi and Mendy together has not really worked in the past. I'm hoping that Evans is fit to come back into the defence and Ndidi can replace Mendy in Midfield.

If we set up negatively against Man City we will struggle to create the necessary chances to score against them. I hope we can score a goal or two and defend very well on the day. 

Finally got a chance to watch the replay on this.  Obviously we were superb in attack - we're so much better when Praet is on the pitch, especially in an advanced role with Youri behind him.  Barnes was fantastic.  But we did look shaky defensively, and could easily have given up 3-4.  N'didi is not a center-back and shouldn't have to try and be one, and for all this attacking threat Justin is a dumpster fire defending.  We're also too short and not strong enough to defend set pieces and high crosses, which directly led to the second goal and multiple chances, and Justin is the weakest of the lot in that respect.  We need Evans back desperately.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I do also wonder if they targeted him deliberately too. Wood would move onto Justin knowing he'll be able to beat him if the cross is good. Burnley are decent in the air and cause many a defender problems.

That's exactly what happened. Dyche is a cute manager. We struggled to find a remedy.  I don't think it's just lack of strength with Justin - it seemed to me that he was poor in judging the flight of the cross and positioning himself.  But he will learn. His defending otherwise was mainly very good and his attacking contributions excellent. Interesting the number of people over the last year who have pointed to Chilwell's negative rapport with Barnes. They seem to be onto something as he has had a very fruitful partnership with Justin so far.

Slightly flattering scoreline I felt - if Chris Wood had put that one in instead of hitting the post (nice one, Woody!) It could have got messy.  

Didn't feel confident personally till Dennis smacked in that screamer. 

Ashley Barnes was a big miss for them. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

OK, thanks.  Nile Ranger brings a lot of thoughts to mind, none of them complimentary, but of course I didn't get that reference.

I doubt Dunne is good enough or ever will be, frankly.  But you never know.  He would have been fifth choice centre half but for Ben Gibson who threw his toys out of the pram in January after 18 months on the bench when Mee and Tarkowski barely missed a game; ironically, because if he had stayed he would have been (God forbid!) Tarkowski's natural replacement.

39 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

To be fair it’s centre forward 101 in that position, most of the big lads peel to the big post and try to pick on the full back 

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

To be fair it’s centre forward 101 in that position, most of the big lads peel to the big post and try to pick on the full back 

This is true. But it maybe means he was being given more to do defensively than Castagne say. He was obviously out fought for both goals, but got to remember how few PL games the guy has had.

30 minutes ago, deep blue said:

That's exactly what happened. Dyche is a cute manager. We struggled to find a remedy.  I don't think it's just lack of strength with Justin - it seemed to me that he was poor in judging the flight of the cross and positioning himself.  But he will learn. His defending otherwise was mainly very good and his attacking contributions excellent. Interesting the number of people over the last year who have pointed to Chilwell's negative rapport with Barnes. They seem to be onto something as he has had a very fruitful partnership with Justin so far.

The big plus was how dangerous he was going forwards - clearly a major part of the modern fullback's game. Seem to recall late on Vardy picking up the ball on halfway and there running to get up ahead of him was Justin. Thought he was great attacking-wise. I hope he still gets some decent game time when Ricardo is back. We have 2 great first team full-backs now but would like Justin (and Thomas) time to develop because the early signs are good.

31 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Finally got a chance to watch the replay on this.  Obviously we were superb in attack - we're so much better when Praet is on the pitch, especially in an advanced role with Youri behind him.  Barnes was fantastic.  But we did look shaky defensively, and could easily have given up 3-4.  N'didi is not a center-back and shouldn't have to try and be one, and for all this attacking thread Justin is a dumpster fire defending.  We're also too short and not strong enough to defend set pieces and high crosses, which directly led to the second goal and multiple chances, and Justin is the weakest of the lot in that respect.  We need Evans back desperately.

It's great having fullbacks who attack so effectively, but we looked vulnerable at the back. 

Defence should be their main priority. As it was when we had Simpson and Fuchs in those roles.

From memory we did pretty well with those two...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

It's great having fullbacks who attack so effectively, but we looked vulnerable at the back. 

Defence should be their main priority. As it was when we had Simpson and Fuchs in those roles.

From memory we did pretty well with those two...

That will never happen under Rodgers - he insists on his fullbacks attacking and providing width.  And honestly I don't think that's the problem - the problem is that Justin is generally a very shaky defender.  He's terrible on anything in the air, gets caught out of position too often and is prone to rash challenges.  Castagne attacks all night and I never feel as if we're under duress because of it.  I think if Ricardo can come back close to his old self, we'll be fine in that sense.

• Like 1

I don't really know how to explain this correctly but Castagne looks to be a "proper" top class player.

He doesn't appear to have a fault to his game in that right back/right wing back role.

His decision making is genuinely astonishing. Always knows when to pass, when to run, when to drop off etc.

Give me Ricardo/Ndidi/Tielemans/Soyuncu type vibes. A genuinely top class player already with room to develop.

I just hope to God he looks this comfortable on the left.

Schmeichel

Evans  Soyuncu

Ricardo                                                 Castagne

Ndidi

Maddison  Tielemans

Under                                             Barnes

Vardy

With Perez, Iheanacho, Justin, Fofana, Praet, Choudhury and Ward on the bench... To me this is the strongest Leicester side of all time.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't really know how to explain this correctly but Castagne looks to be a "proper" top class player.

He doesn't appear to have a fault to his game in that right back/right wing back role.

His decision making is genuinely astonishing. Always knows when to pass, when to run, when to drop off etc.

Give me Ricardo/Ndidi/Tielemans/Soyuncu type vibes. A genuinely top class player already with room to develop.

I just hope to God he looks this comfortable on the left.

Schmeichel

Evans  Soyuncu

Ricardo                                                 Castagne

Ndidi

Maddison  Tielemans

Under                                             Barnes

Vardy

With Perez, Iheanacho, Justin, Fofana, Praet, Choudhury and Ward on the bench... To me this is the strongest Leicester side of all time.

With Castagne in the side it genuinely feels no different to when we were playing Ricardo at RB. Considering Ricardo is one of the best RBs in the PL currently (if not Europe), that's one hell of a compliment. And they're both capable of playing both sides as well, so we could quite realistically expect to play them both at once. Thats going to be very, very exciting to watch.

We were praised last season for arguably having the best FB pairing in the league outside of Liverpool. Its a big if, but if Castagne can keep up this level and Ricardo can get back up to 100%, we might genuinely have the best FB duo in the prem.

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

It was a great strike but did you see the time Burnley gave him after he picked the ball up near the edge of the area! One bloke in particular just ran back and away from Praet. It was weird to see tbf

Old growler will be fuming!

😆

He is one handful, talented player. Isn't he?