Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

CITY V Burnley POST MATCH 4-2

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

One of the most encouraging things for me was that at two points in the game (Going 1-0 down and being pegged back to 3-2), we could have panicked.

Both times we just carried on doing what we're good at without panicking. 

Vast improvement on last season in terms of performing at times of adversity.

Brendon looks to be warming that wedge, I can

also see some funds magically appear too before the window closes. 

2 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

One of the most encouraging things for me was that at two points in the game (Going 1-0 down and being pegged back to 3-2), we could have panicked.

This this this !!!!!! We’d have collapsed last season I think. 

What a signing Castagne. Mom for me today. Yt pass of the season contender. Mendy  must be one of the tidiest players around, calm on the ball and always seems to have time to make a simple pass and set us going (not bad for a league 1 player at best according to some posters).

despite all the doom and gloom pre season we have once again proved that we are a bloody good side even with several key players still missing.

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE. Ok only two games but are putting down a marker early doors. Actually confident for Man Citygame

• Like 1

In the absence of a player rating thread:

Kasper Schmeichel 7 solid not much chance with either goal - was he injured? The way he kicked and didn’t come out like he usually does when players were through made me think he had some sort of hip injury.

Timmy Castagne: 8 one of four players who could have been man of the match, outstanding.

Ndidi: 7 playing well in an unfamiliar position, got caught out of position a couple of times but big strong and made a couple of great tackles.

Soyuncu 7.5 really is a quality player did everything right and helped Wilf out.

JJ 7 couldn’t believe some of the stick he got, the first goal- he won’t be the first player to be out muscled by Wood and he won’t be the last, he got his positioning correct initially but got bullied by the big guy, could have perhaps done better with the 2nd. But looked good going forwards and got his goal - more than solid LB and still growing

Mendy 7.5 quietly goes about his business but just kept things ticking along.

Tielemans 8.5 that ball for the second goal! The man was class and just man of the match for me, really is an a absolute pleasure to watch in this form.

Praet 8 another who could have been man of the match did everything, got his goal and I loved the way he and Youri switched roles and changed things up.

Perez 6 not his best afternoon and I wonder if games like Burnley are the right game for him, was bullied from the off and didn’t do too much.

Barnes 8 the 4th player who could have been man of the match, so strong, so direct and always looked positive- this is going to be his season.

Vardy 7 being a striker and not scoring when your team scores 4 is probably disappointing for him, but, the assist for Barnes goal was everything about Vardy, many more goal scorers would have been greedy. Must be a nightmare to play against.

Great to see Madison get another half an hour looked comfortable on the ball and hopefully ready to start soon - maybe give him an hour in the cup mid week.

Some massive decisions to make for the Man City game: Evans comes back in, Mendy probably drops out which is unfortunate. Does Madison come back in? If yes who misses out? Under to start? 

To massive bonuses yesterday we didn’t panic when we went a goal down and kept to our game.

When they got back to 3-2 I was half expecting Choidhury and Morgan to come on and a squeaky bum last 15, but we stuck to our game and went for another, long time since we’ve done that.

All in all a great start to the season! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

So are we no longer shit then because we made no signings, lost England’s first choice left back, theres a rift in the camp between  Rodgers and the players .Add to that Rodgers and Rudkin  have fallen out because  Rudkin is blocking targets  and Congerton is clueless .  

And the 'outrageous' scandal and the Rennie (non) sacking. 

We're not. Until next week anyway :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Sean Dyche used to look far more annoyed in interviews when the journalists were quoting how much they'd splashed on Andre Gray and the like than he does now he cant spend.

He loves being the hard done by, hard working, non spenders far more than he would like to be anything else. 

Mcneil going down time wasting after 15 minutes was a strong reminder of why i hate playing his teams. Thank god we got an equaliser soon enough or we'd have had that shit all second half.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Excellent.

Amazing how fun we can be to watch when we actually play attacking, positive football moving forward!

First half of WBA was abit meh and thought nothing had changed but the 2nd half of that game and the whole 90 today has excited me again, it's easy to say that having won both games but for balance many times even when we won last season I thought performances and style were questionable, we've only played WBA and Burnley but they're games when we've struggled in the past to break teams down but we played attacking, exciting, took the game to them and it was positive!

Next week will be a test of how much we learnt and took out of last season, we'll need to play with caution of course but there is no reason why we can't play positive football against them and certainly do not be scared of them.

Onwards.

This type of football isn't boring when we win is it? 

6 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Which is what I noted while everyone here was sh*tting the bed in off-season.

The result of the post-Covid season was gonna go one of two ways for us. Either it killed the momentum we'd built and led to us regressing from our high-water mark before February, or it exposed our weak backbone and matured some of our less mentally-resillient members of the squad, allowing us to push on and try to consolidate our newfound place in the top 6.

I really did notice a better level of composure in this game. One swallow does not make a summer by any means, but if this is how we're going to respond to pressure from hereon out I'll be delighted. I know it's ridiculous to draw anything from two games, but frankly, we're top because we've put in consistent displays in back-to-back matches.

Tougher tests ahead, but I do believe a lot on here have been rather overdramatic about just how far our squad's level has fallen. We're comfortably a top-half side and, if we turn it on, we could challenge for a top 4 spot again.

I do not yet want to get off Mr. Rodgers' Wild Ride.

:brendan_still:

Edited by OntarioFox
Clarification - reckon we could challenge top 4, not the title lol

Lost concentration at the back a few times, not surprisingly since it’s still a bit of a makeshift back 4, but otherwise some really smooth football. Best I’ve seen Harvey play in the PL. Praet, Castagne and Tielemans looking good for us as well. Also glad we re-signed Mendy.

Michael Owen doesn’t think we’re going to do much this season but thinks we’ll end up in the top half :unsure:. I think with the new signings and return of the rest of the squad we might still manage top 6 :fc:, but being in the Europa League does pose some of a challenge. Anyway brilliant start. Would be nice to grab a point against Man City next.

9 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Have to give Brendan credit, it could have been a very difficult start of the season after the way the last one ended. They seem to have got it out of their system which is good to see. At 3-2 it was a big test but we passed, thankfully.

Yeah, he deserves it. Two very good wins with a makeshift defence is a great way to move from last season's slump.