Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

CITY V Burnley POST MATCH 4-2

Really did feel like the most complete game we've played since Aston Villa in Feb.

In all honesty, I wanted to say Southampton 9-0, but didn't want the pitchforks. 

The fitness, the movement, the control, the smiles, the back flicks! we never truthfully looked troubled, even when it went to 3-2, it was only paranoia that hurt, not the actual football. 

I've thought this a few times in the past, but that was the Tielemans we bought. He was sensational, looked menacing and was one step ahead of the game throughout, and that pass...well. 

If Praet continues his first two games form, then I'm sold. Ok selection, accepted, but he's not played that well consistently for us ever. He didn't even need to score that amazing goal to still have had a dynamite game, wonderful potential. 

Compared to playing with our previous left-back, Barnes doesn't look as clumsy or lost when it comes to playing alongside Justin, they both were more than capable in utilising their areas better than those lacklustre link up's from last season.

Everyone played well, much better expectations all round. 

Rodgers even looked more up for it than usual, can't help but feel he's seen a big shift in attitude from them all and he feels like he's onto something. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 12 said:

Yes I agree. If he didn’t have any defensive intelligence I don’t think he would be in the England under 21’s squad let alone being picked by Brendan. I don’t know how fit he was but let’s note Brendan left fuchs on the bench all game, maybe that was saving him for Arsenal but he’s being picked ahead of an experienced international left back. 

he does need to improve though, I agree. In terms of rash decisions yes, though he’s not alone. Hopefully composure will improve.

...Chilwell was targeted with balls played diagonally over his head as that was perceived as a weakness in his ability to defend!!!

He did struggle to adjust and eventually got his reading and positioning in the game right, no reason Justin will not be able to adjust with time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Great win. Very good performance. Justin is a weak link defensively. 

Don’t agree with you one bit, yes he may have been partly at fault for both goals but he had two of the tallest players to mark and did not have the height to deal with it. Woods not only handle the ball but also pushed the lad over. I personally thought he had a good game and his goal made his day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

That was different to a lot of last season. Higher tempo, quicker passing, Even when they pressed us we found space for a pass with plenty of movement.

Whether that happens against better teams I don’t know, we’ll see. But so far it looks positive considering our injuries.

Agree, but early days yet and it depends on what Rodgers does with team selection.  It is no coincidence that this happens after our chief back passer Chilwell is gone, second back passer Ndidi became CB (and as a CB he is reasonably forward thinking of course), having Mendy instead to play the link up role, and having Castagne as RB who is very forward thinking and Justin as LB who at least try to look forward. We have not changed styles, but we can get the ball up because when pressed, unlike last season, we have better players in the back 4 who can pass the ball up and we have Mendy who can help it on with his positioning and link up plays. Then we have two CMs in Tielemans, who plays better without Madders, and Praet, who is more direct.

So our improvement is mostly down to team selection rather than any change in style of play. Watch this space: when Ndidi moves back up to DCM and Madders comes back to replace Praet, watch how our efficiency will come down a bit and we will create less chances and will be slower. It won’t be all bad as we do still have Justin and Castagne as full backs in that situation, but watch how Tielemans will be less effective and how we will be finding it a little harder getting the ball upfield from the back. Some will then blame Tielemans in a dip in form but it won’t really be that. Having said that, I think the key will be Ndidi - if he can pick up his passing skills from where he left off prior to his injury last season, he can still do a good job attacking wise.

Edited by Tom12345

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I was wondering more which brewery he was sponsored by...

@gw_leics772 momentum be blowed, it's more about mentality (but I genuinely think we're splitting hairs over a word rather than actually disagreeing). For sure, the habit of winning is an important component (I just felt I wanted to use that word correctly, cannot imagine why) but to get anything out of Manchester City, we need the right players and to set up right. I'd be surprised if we don't play Wilf and Mendy in midfield.

I agree re the Man City game. I think we have to go there and be really solid and compact. If we go to play them at their own game with a high line we'll be rinsed like we were last season. We also need some real support for Justin as I can't bear to see a repeat of what happened to Chilwell at the Etihad last season. I wonder if he'll go for a 532 with Evans, Wilf and Cags at CB. Then same midfield trio with Barnes further forward with Vards. The way to beat Man City is to sit deep and hit them on the break with pace, as Wolves did twice last season.

6 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Agree, but early days yet and it depends on what Rodgers does with team selection.  It is no coincidence that this happens after our chief back passer Chilwell is gone, second back passer Ndidi became CB (and as a CB he is reasonably forward thinking of course), having Mendy instead to play the link up role, and having Castagne as RB who is very forward thinking and Justin as LB who at least try to look forward. We have not changed styles, but we can get the ball up because when pressed, unlike last season, we have better players in the back 4 who can pass the ball up and we have Mendy who can help it on with his positioning and link up plays. Then we have two CMs in Tielemans, who plays better without Madders, and Praet, who is more direct.

So our improvement is mostly down to team selection rather than any change in style of play. Watch this space: when Ndidi moves back up to DCM and Madders comes back to replace Praet, watch how our efficiency will come down a bit and we will create less chances and will be slower. It won’t be all bad as we do still have Justin and Castagne as full backs in that situation, but watch how Tielemans will be less effective and how we will be finding it a little harder getting the ball upfield from the back. Some will then blame Tielemans in a dip in form but it won’t really be that. Having said that, I think the key will be Ndidi - if he can pick up his passing skills from where he left off prior to his injury last season, he can still do a good job attacking wise.

Certainly noticed how much Maddison slowed things down, rather than passing it off quickly he would wander off on a run to nowhere with the ball or take about 10 touches. Lets not forget though those two together HAVE looked very good and so has the team without Mendy etc. We just lost our way. 

14 minutes ago, Moomin said:

What a GOLAZO from Praet. Love that lad, me.

It was a great strike but did you see the time Burnley gave him after he picked the ball up near the edge of the area! One bloke in particular just ran back and away from Praet. It was weird to see tbf

Old growler will be fuming!

😆

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Certainly noticed how much Maddison slowed things down, rather than passing it off quickly he would wander off on a run to nowhere with the ball or take about 10 touches. Lets not forget though those two together HAVE looked very good and so has the team without Mendy etc. We just lost our way. 

Looks like a player working his way back to fitness! 

And to be fair we were winning both games when he came on, so slowly the game down isn't always a bad thing in that instance.

• Like 1

Thought we played really well and were knocking it about with fast slick passing that we didnt see in the 2nd half of last season. Tried shooting ourselves in the foot though in the little spell with Chris Wood hitting the post which was worrying. If Barnes sorts that finishing out he could do some serious damage to teams this year.

33 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The way to beat Man City is to sit deep and hit them on the break with pace, as Wolves did twice last season.

Compact and deep - exactly as you said, and respond on the counter à la 2015-16. Man United did exactly the same if you recall. The service from Fred and McTominay was exceptional that day, threading through balls to the front three on the break. 

26 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It was a great strike but did you see the time Burnley gave him after he picked the ball up near the edge of the area! One bloke in particular just ran back and away from Praet. It was weird to see tbf

😆

In hindsight he should have gone to Praet, but he actually dropped back to cover the run who Castagne who would have been through behind him with time and space to pass it across the goal. 

• Like 4

A really good performance.

To get the less pleasing aspects out of the way first. The defence was less than stellar. JJ was a bit out of sorts at times. He is a decent player but is gonna be a target for other teams to exploit whilst he's still learning. N'Didi's positioning was less than stellar even though he had a good game overall.

It's disappointing Vardy wasn't in on the goals but Burnley has never been his favourite team to play against. Its probably his worst opponent in the League.With Under on the way Perez must be under threat. I doubt Ayoze is on many Fantasy Football teams now.

Way more positives overall though. All the above contributed something at least. Even at half time there was lots to be optimistic about.

Castagne had another fine game. He might be better than Ricardo in several aspects to his game which is some going. Realistically its 2 bottom half teams so far but you'd be confident he'll be alright against the better sides.

His compatriots have made a great start to the season. Tielemans looks like the player we hoped we could be. Looks extremely focused. We all would like Maddison to be back but Praet is a good backup player to have. He suffered more than most with the timing of lockdown but he's very adept on the ball. Cracking goal. Mendy is a lot better than he is give credit for. He doesn't have the defensive prowess of Kante or N'Didi but when given free reign he's a great player to bring the ball forward. We look a lot more threatening with him.

Barnes look to be hitting the improvements of Chilwell 2 seasons ago. Might have been 2 goals but for a great save from Pope. On the 8.5 to 9 scale the last 2 weeks. Maybe he might be at the level of Mahrez a few years back.

We had a few worrying moments but we controlled the game well. Can write next off I'd say but there looks to be lots of good things happening for us once again. We'll play more threatening teams yes but 1 more major signing and a backup player would suit us right down to the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

😆

Was a huge surprise given how Keown described Burnley’s pressing. They were lGegenpress Klopp esque. 

Jimmy Dunne is the next Nile Ranger. The praise of a back four which conceded four goals was hilarious. 

Thankfully in the studio, I realised that Keown was on planet nowhere as Shearer and Wright discusses the game