Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

CITY V Burnley POST MATCH 4-2

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

This type of football isn't boring when we win is it? 

No, it isn't, because we moved forward, attacked, crossed the halfway line, didn't constantly pass sideways and backwards, there was a clear difference compared to how we've been playing.

If you actually read my original post it's not just because we won.

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Excellent.

Amazing how fun we can be to watch when we actually play attacking, positive football moving forward!

First half of WBA was abit meh and thought nothing had changed but the 2nd half of that game and the whole 90 today has excited me again, it's easy to say that having won both games but for balance many times even when we won last season I thought performances and style were questionable, we've only played WBA and Burnley but they're games when we've struggled in the past to break teams down but we played attacking, exciting, took the game to them and it was positive!

Next week will be a test of how much we learnt and took out of last season, we'll need to play with caution of course but there is no reason why we can't play positive football against them and certainly do not be scared of them.

Onwards.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Well I think it's a nice problem to have. Maddison was handed the second best contract at the club in the summer and for me seems like the man Rodgers has his eyes on as being the Coutinho of our team. Rodgers turned Coutinho from Inter Milan reject to the best player in the league before he left and it wouldn't surprise me if he turns Maddison into a superstar. I know what you are saying, but don't forget that at the start of last season, Maddison was as good as anyone in both our team and the league, it's just a shame he (and everyone else) fell off a cliff.

We are going to have 50-60 games this season, from December to February we play every 3 days! There has never been a season like it in terms of volume of games to play in such a short period of time. For me one of the most encouraging things to see is that players that will probably be squad options have stepped in and done well; Mendy, Praet, JJ and probably Perez now that Under has signed. We know Nacho, Fuchs and Albrighton are reliable, Choudhury is always keen and some of the young guns look promising. We are going to need them all over the course of the season. So perhaps Maddison comes in, perhaps he doesn't, but for me it's not a massive problem right now. Let's see what happens as the season goes on.

I know what you mean and as you say it is a good problem to have. Personally, I think Maddison has massive potential and I like him to succeed, as a Leicester fan, but I also think he is rated more highly than his actual current abilities and he is overly favoured by Rodgers than he deserves. I don’t mind this of course if it helps develop the player and if he can become a Coutinho then I am all for it but my concern is there are equally young players around who combine better at the moment and obsession over Maddison has last season and I am afraid will again this season damage development of other players and cost the team fluidity and in terms of performance.  

We identified last season some of the problems with our backpassing and “couldn’t get out of own half” issues - see my previous posts. Again nothing against the lads, but Chilwell was an issue (now no longer), Ndidi is another issue (wonder if Rodgers can retain Mendy who does a better job at CDM), and playing Maddison in any role other than a role right behind the forwards is another issue for me. Maddison is too keen to get the ball and is still not simple enough with his playing style - so if Rodgers assign Maddison a deeper role, this will take Tielemans out of his game as Tielemans is a more selfless player who is better at orchestrating the whole midfield, and this will also obviously relegate Praet to the bench or a lesser role eg on the wing and so taking out his runs and his effectiveness. The only role I believe he can take is the Perez role, but Perez is I think better at that, unless Rodgers don’t want a RM altogether and play Maddison instead of Perez but right behind Vardy.

So to me, fitting Maddison in the hope of him becoming a Coutinho presents problems for the team now and development of others.  As you say, maybe over 50-60 games all players are needed, but what I would hate to see is Maddison coming in to replace Praet as soon as he is fully fit as if there is one rule for him and another rule for other players. To avoid doubt, this is a debate about team selection and formation, and it is nothing personal.

For Maddison, I think he is a bit like Ronaldo when he was young (but of course he is not near Ronaldo level). He holds on to the ball far too long - he could be more like Barnes in terms of forward thinking; he could be more like Praet in terms of directness and making things simpler; and he could be more like Tielemans in knowing when to step back and let other teammates get the ball. He has the skills, but he just needs to change mentality a bit more through coaching and, I got laughed at years ago for suggesting it, he needs to get into the gym and build some more feet strength. His long passes are not as accurate as they should be but they can be improved if he does that.

With him just signing a long term contract, I hope Rodgers can take a longer term view with him and bench him when needed. I don’t want to lose for example Praet either because he is pis*ed off he can not hold down a place despite doing so well.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

This type of football isn't boring when we win is it? 

That was different to a lot of last season. Higher tempo, quicker passing, Even when they pressed us we found space for a pass with plenty of movement.

Whether that happens against better teams I don’t know, we’ll see. But so far it looks positive considering our injuries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

It’s going to be extremely harsh on Mendy when he inevitably gets dropped when Evans is available again but he did sign a new contract knowing his role to the side. 

Im one of Madders biggest fans but Praet and Tielemans have made themselves undroppable in the first two matches. Madders is really going to have to take his chance when he gets it to regain his starting place. 

Brilliant headaches to find ourselves with, finally feel like we have a bit more squad depth. Just a cb now and I feel we will be stronger than last season. 

With The Europa League there will be more than enough games for everyone this season. We have now 2 good options in both full backs, across the midfield and forwards to rest and give Mendy and the other unlucky players on the bench and deeper in the squad the chance to play regular football.

If we can pull in Fafana on another quality CB we are looking really strong all over the park. 
It’s early days but I’m excited 

9 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Yeah component against Fulham and Burnley, I wouldn’t be so sure against tougher opposition.

We shipped 2 could’ve easily been 3 at home against a team not know for their scoring prowess.

I can”t wait to see Ndidi back in his natural position once Evans is back.

Do you work for BBC or sky? 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Do you work for BBC or sky? 

I was wondering more which brewery he was sponsored by...

@gw_leics772 momentum be blowed, it's more about mentality (but I genuinely think we're splitting hairs over a word rather than actually disagreeing). For sure, the habit of winning is an important component (I just felt I wanted to use that word correctly, cannot imagine why) but to get anything out of Manchester City, we need the right players and to set up right. I'd be surprised if we don't play Wilf and Mendy in midfield.

Edited by HighPeakFox
Damn restriction
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I was wondering more which brewery he was sponsored by...

It was the obvious getting wrong which teams we had played when compared to bbc's O'shea to come back from injury and Harvey Barnes interview about the confusion about Castagne being offside. 

Then the post on here about Burnley still having not scored any goals.

I think this mad world is having more side effects, but I will not let my standards drop 😂

Ps. Momentum. 😱 Never a better time for us to face man city? Especially away. 

Edited by gw_leics772

10 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We've not really missed wilf in the middle of the park have we?

Mendy keeps the ball moving better than wilf does and seems a bit more dynamic than I ever thought capable. 

Mendy is extremely capable in the tight ball situations. Seems to pick the ball up surrounded by a few players and just move it along with ease. After being booked in the first half, was worried he'd be at risk but never felt he was a walking red card. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We've not really missed wilf in the middle of the park have we?

Mendy keeps the ball moving better than wilf does and seems a bit more dynamic than I ever thought capable. 

Mendy has been excellent. He is a very good recycler (of the ball) and keeps pressure alive by his impressive work rate.

59 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

It’s going to be extremely harsh on Mendy when he inevitably gets dropped when Evans is available again but he did sign a new contract knowing his role to the side. 

Im one of Madders biggest fans but Praet and Tielemans have made themselves undroppable in the first two matches. Madders is really going to have to take his chance when he gets it to regain his starting place. 

Brilliant headaches to find ourselves with, finally feel like we have a bit more squad depth. Just a cb now and I feel we will be stronger than last season. 

Surely he just simply comes in for Perez. 

11 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

He looks good going forward, but defensively he's a bit of a liability and I'm basing that not just on tonight but having given away a couple of goals post lockdown also.

Yes, give him time to develop and let him make mistakes but equally, whatever age he is he can't be persevered with if he's giving goals away regularly and being very naive as he was tonight. If he's giving goals away he should be criticised as anyone else would be.

I'm not saying he's giving goals away consistently just yet btw but the warning signs are there. Hopefully it's the catalyst for him to iron that out though.

Agreed.

They persisted with Chilwell for three seasons being shit defensively so they may choose to persist with with Justin and hope he learns a bit quicker. 

41 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

Some very interesting comments on here! If we drop Mendy does Tielemans form suffer same as if we bring Madders back for say Praet. We are a decent team and are beginning to get selection problems of the good type not the desperate.

lets enjoy the ride

I'm not sure what Brendan has got planned for when Ricardo returns. Who would he pick at right back considering Castagne has scored 2 goals in 2 matches, i know one was a deflection but even so, and he's also creating so much. 

On the whole a really good performance and I was surprised how easy we were creating chances. We've looked a real threat going forward in both matches so far this season. A lot quicker and sharper than we were at most points in the second half of last season. It will be interesting to see if we can keep that up once the 2 matches a week run starts.

Still concerned how at 3-1 and 4-2, when we should be comfortable, we seem to lose our focus and started giving away a lot of really sloppy, lazy balls and then as a result lost composure at the back. Having said that not one single team has looked defensively solid and organised this weekend. Hopefully that will come with time and when we get Evans and Ricardo back.

Castagne makes a huge difference to us, compared to how we were after the restart. Not only does he make so many forward runs, but he consistently finishes them off we a productive end product, whether that be a pass or a whipped low cross behind the defence. My only concern is whether he can do the latter when he moves to LB.

Another thing I noticed last night was how many players went down injured at some point. Vardy (twice), Praet and Castagne, plus Ndidi is clearly hobbling in the tunnel cam video. I really hope we don't go too mad with departures in the next two weeks, as even though players like Dewsbury-Hall, Choudhury, Gray, etc aren't getting a look at the minute, we may very well need them over the course of the season.