Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

US Presidential Election 2020

10 hours ago, SO1 said:

There are none. I have to read different articles and trust my gut. That's the sad state of journalism. No unbiased news.

As If there ever was.

The problem there is the last 2 times you did that it was straight up manipulation using bad maths and an article from a far-right blog, in both cases I was able to find the counter-evidence within seconds of reading comments/following sources.  Your gut's displaying symptoms caused by far-right toxicity, you need a steady course of left-wing content stat.  If you enjoy YouTube I can recommend a few people to follow:  Watch some videos by people like Vaush or Contrapoints, add some lefty rabbit hole to you far-right pipeline.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

How come its never a problem when it's the right telling voters on the other side that they're wrong and stupid?

To be fair, the right in the US tend to be more doers than tellers, if the dead bodies in Charlottesville and Portland are anything to go by.

The update in Michigan is this:

There were two republican beaurocrats that initially blocked the certification of Wayne County (where the city of Detroit is) on the basis of "too many irregularities."

The news came out that they were blocking the certification and the local media / electorate was outraged.

A meeting was set to discuss the issue, and they eventually withdrew their objection to the certification of the vote.

After they got out of that meeting, both republicans got a call from President Donald J Trump. I am not making this up lol

Now they are sending in a motion to withdraw their withdrawal 

19 hours ago, SO1 said:

Now I'm going to get really crazy here and post a hypothesis about what I think is really going on.:) I'm sure posters here have heard the phrase "Deep State".  This was explained to me as the un-elected bureaucrats in Washington who maintain their jobs and power year after year no matter who gets elected president. Think Defense, CIA, State Dept. and other intelligence agencies etc.. These people obviously hold a serious amount of power considering the adversity towards Trump from the moment he was elected. Clinton was the "deep state" choice make no mistake about it. The deep state are pissed and they want their pound of flesh for what they consider is a wasted 4 years of not getting the government policy they want. I don't think, as the poll numbers showed before the election, that anyone was predicting the race to be this close. I think Trump is using the power of his position to negotiate an exit from office so that he and his family can conduct some sort of normal life (aka keep his businesses and stay out of jail). If the deep state won't negotiate and let him leave office peacefully he could burn the country down. 

Don't worry I'm pretty sure soon enough he'll concede "for the good of the country" :appl:Once he makes a better deal.

It's fun to think that there's some shadowy power working in the background. It provides order and intrigue into our boringly pedestrian lives. The fact of the matter is, that's not the way humans work. We are all too self-interested for some massive conspiracy to work. It is impossible to keep secrets with the free press, the ability to record sound/video on your phone, and the ability to upload content on a decentralized internet.

We found out about the Government spying on us. We found out about Watergate. We found out about the CIA holding mind control experiments and injecting African Americans with syphilis. Yet somehow there's some massive conspiracy to unseat Trump among all the layers of the Federal Government, and we don't have one employee recording evidence, defecting, and then selling a book?

It's funny because conspiracy theorists often give so much more credit and competence to the government than what we've seen in the past 300 years. We can't have universal healthcare, affordable education, or react to emergencies like the coronavirus pandemic or Hurricane Katrina, but the government is somehow capable of rigging elections and keeping quiet the thousands of government employees it would take to pull it off.

Instead of clinging to conspiracy theories, and reading blogs I think you'd be better off looking at the consensus. What are doctors, scientists and journalists saying about a particular topic. What's most likely to be true? Have they been true/right about things in the past? Why do I want to believe that the consensus is wrong? What are my personal biases and blind spots? 

• Like 4

I had a cheerful thought earlier.

If almost all foreign leaders (apart from Putin, but including Johnson) are talking openly about Biden as President-elect, this presumably means that their advice from their embassies and experts on US politics is that Biden will become President and there's no realistic chance of any attempted coup succeeding via the fixing of state electoral college delegations, intervention of Supreme Court etc? 

If there was even a significant minority chance of Trump overthrowing the result, the leaders of other countries would surely be more circumspect about the result. They could easily have found excuses not to commit at least until the electoral college meets.

I presume the dominant assumption has to be that Trump is continuing with this strategy of denial so as to undermine the acceptance of Biden as President once appointed, to build his support base for the future (whatever his motives) - or maybe to serve his personal legal and financial interests.

34 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Trump should be removed from office. He talks about election cheating, rigging and yet here he is clearly trying to rig an election by calling those reps in michigan after their decision. You cant make this shite up.

I have been neglecting CNN... his tweets seem to be building up momentum. This is just madness

7 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I have been neglecting CNN... his tweets seem to be building up momentum. This is just madness

The silence from the Republicans is just shocking if you ask me. They need to distance themselves from this lunatic stat

Edited by Jattdogg

39 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

The silence from the Republicans is just shocking if you ask me. They need to distance themselves from this lunatic stat

They're stuck between a rock and a hard place tbh - if they do the right thing as you say then they kill themselves politically as the cult of personality surrounding Trump means they will never get the votes to get into office again.

Not that I have that much sympathy - they should have seen that coming from the start.

17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

They're stuck between a rock and a hard place tbh - if they do the right thing as you say then they kill themselves politically as the cult of personality surrounding Trump means they will never get the votes to get into office again.

Not that I have that much sympathy - they should have seen that coming from the start.

I dont buy that. Trump is gone. In 4 years they will still vote republican, still vote for the same guys. If trump is the candidate in 4 years they would all suck up anyways and people would forget. Heck of they overlook Trump as it is.... lol

24 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

I dont buy that. Trump is gone. In 4 years they will still vote republican, still vote for the same guys. If trump is the candidate in 4 years they would all suck up anyways and people would forget. Heck of they overlook Trump as it is.... lol

I can understand you don't believe it, I'm not sure I do either. But all the same they think it's a possibility and one large enough that they're having to hold fire, and I can see why given frankly how "motivated" Trump's base is tbh. They're being risk averse.

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Trump should be removed from office. He talks about election cheating, rigging and yet here he is clearly trying to rig an election by calling those reps in michigan after their decision. You cant make this shite up.

You can’t make this shit up but it just feels so bloody predictable. He’s been gaslighting for months the idea that the election will be rigged and mail in ballots are untrustworthy. How low is he going to stoop to cling on to power? Very IMO. 

How far will the Republican Party let this go? Trump lost the popular vote by quite a way but the GOP did well in the houses. So it’s more a rejection of Trump than ideology.

But the worse his behaviour gets and they stick by him. the worse their reputation gets. I genuinely think they’re going to have to invoke the 25th amendment at some point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

The Republicans have been the biggest shame of all of this shambles of a country for the past 4 years.

If anyone wondered about deep states and people protecting their own jobs... the Repubs are the starting point surely. 

They have sat quietly by, while their democracy is raped and pillaged by a lunatic acting for THEM.

• Like 3