Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

On the manager discussion it’s something I’ve moaned about in the past too. We’d never have appointed Puel if he hadn’t have already managed in England which shows our search wasn’t very comprehensive. 

StatsBomb who we’re partnered with do managerial recruitment consulting and our head of analytics used to work for them so you’d hope we’ll cast our net a bit further next time we need a manager.

Diego Martinez is doing a good job with Granada,  worth keeping an eye on.

...to be fair, at the time, the only people unhappy with Puel was the Southampton supporters and what was perceived to be their short sighted and delusional owners!!!

Puels' cv at the time was top 8 with and losing finalist in the FA cup, what's not to like and no outlay in procuring his services. Unfortunately we soon learned why the Southampton supporters were so angry regarding what was perceived to be a good acquisition, leading to a complete polarisation within our supporters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is this not similar to Celtic fans saying 'surely he'd want to stick on for the rest of the season - complete the records with Celtic which would look amazing on his CV'.

I don't think he'll go - at least not right now. I hope he doesn't get lured. He's achieveing fantastic things with us in terms of league and European competitions and where we stand, the training ground, the potential stadium expansion. He could stay for a few years and be part of the reason our status continues to get elevated.

I totally agree, He's always maintained he loves working with young players. With the continued progress of facilities off the field and the Team and squad continuing to improve, we're clearly aiming for top 6.

He can achieve it all here without the added pressure of a so called big club, Provided the Club continue to support him in the Transfer Market. There's no reason why we cant continue to improve, even with the odd blip.

If Rodgers went to Arsenal and failed, he would be finished as a top flight manager.  He would be better to finish another 1-2 years with us, and establish Leicester as a top 6 side fighting for the Champions/Europa league places.  I'm just a little worried Rodgers ego might be too big for this club and he could get persuaded to join Lacanet & aubamegone at the Arsenal.

Edited by Le Renard
spelling

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Rodgers is definitely a good coach and a right fit for us but I just can't wrap my head around the 15 point bottle job last season. If we threw away a 5 point lead, fair enough, it happens, but this was a bigger choje job than Keegan's Newcastle. 

This season to be third and top of our EL group is excellent. 

As for Puel, people forget when he took over we were 17th playing horrible hoof ball with an aging team. Rodgers took over a team that had Tielemans, Maddison and Ricardo. The transformation will never be credited to Puel by a certain segment on here who hated him from day 1. 

The coronavirus pandemic played a massive part in the bottle job. Still doesn’t excuse it but it’s the most unique set of events in premier league history. Only football being cancelled due to WW2 really comes close!

• Like 2

The stature of being the name of Arsenal manager presently is the only thing going. That lot are in turmoil- fans loathing the owners and big name players, signings on huge contracts not working out. A fanbase that was bored with top 4 finishes and turning against trophy-winning managers a few months after success.

We've got an exciting squad, really good young players, excellent leaders, owners that fully back managers, fans fully behind the owners. We're currently ahead of them in the league after finishing comfortably above them last season, we're at the same stage in Europe.

I can see why he'd be tempted because of their history but leaving a comfortable, settled job for that mess is one hell of a risk.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The coronavirus pandemic played a massive part in the bottle job. Still doesn’t excuse it but it’s the most unique set of events in premier league history. Only football being cancelled due to WW2 really comes close!

...would be interesting to see the loss of points of the other clubs within the premiership from the restart!!!

5 hours ago, mazarron fox said:

Here in Spain you meet all sorts of football fans with all sorts of views and today I had 2 blokes one a Liverpool fan the other Everton who both agreed we were lucky to have a top top manager. Interestingly both thought we were dark horses again but not as dark as before as we are a quality team. Nice to get others perspective 

...frankly there was a lot of people who viewed Puel leaving Southampton, to be bewildering!!!

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Sadly I don’t think any club capitulated as badly as we did!

Anyway I don’t necessarily think it was the worst thing that could happen. Our current team has zero chance to win the Champions League but has a shot at the Europa. Players like Thomas, Justin, Fofana aren’t ready for that competition yet, but Europa is brilliant for their development. 

It would be great to get to the Champions League next season but as it’s panned out think it’s good for our squad development. 

I agree somewhat. Europa League has allowed us to play fringe players and youngsters and get through comfortably. Its a learning experiencefor Thomas, Barnes, Fofana etc. In the CL we would have been slapped by PSG and Leipzig. 

As gutted as I was for missing out on CL, I've quite enjoyed Europa League so far.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Koke said:

I agree somewhat. Europa League has allowed us to play fringe players and youngsters and get through comfortably. Its a learning experiencefor Thomas, Barnes, Fofana etc. In the CL we would have been slapped by PSG and Leipzig. 

As gutted as I was for missing out on CL, I've quite enjoyed Europa League so far.

Also given we can’t go to games it doesn’t feel as bad. Had we qualified and drawn Barca or Real and not been able to go...:mad:

I actually hope we get Milan or Ajax in a future round because I’d love to play someone like that. 

• Like 1

Rodgers joined us a provincial, mid table club because of a young, talented squad, decent recruitment with supportive owners and a new training ground on the horizon. Arsenal are the opposite of that currently - they’re beholden to a superagent and not even a good one at that. Their finances are abysmal for a club their size and their squad is syphilis. 

The only thing that would convince him to take the Arsenal job is his ego, so it’s a possibility but he’s not daft enough to leave us yet.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I work with a fair amount of people in football and I've never heard anyone describe him as anything like that.

We were 14th when he took over, we'd just beaten Swansea with Appleton in charge. And we were 12th when he was sacked.

Rodgers may have taken over a team with Tielemans, Maddison and Ricardo in, but he also had to pick up a dressing room which had morale at an all time low, unmotivated players desperately unhappy, looking to jump ship, bruised by a stubborn, boring manager turned the place into a toxic mess and wanted legends like Vardy and Kasper out.

But yeah he got well paid professional players to pass a football to each other, often side-to-side in their own half, so we must be grateful for that "transformation" I guess.

Was it really that bad? 

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I work with a fair amount of people in football and I've never heard anyone describe him as anything like that.

We were 14th when he took over, we'd just beaten Swansea with Appleton in charge. And we were 12th when he was sacked.

Rodgers may have taken over a team with Tielemans, Maddison and Ricardo in, but he also had to pick up a dressing room which had morale at an all time low, unmotivated players desperately unhappy, looking to jump ship, bruised by a stubborn, boring manager turned the place into a toxic mess and wanted legends like Vardy and Kasper out.

But yeah he got well paid professional players to pass a football to each other, often side-to-side in their own half, so we must be grateful for that "transformation" I guess.

Your last sentence proves my whole point. I dont want to go through old tired Puel arguments again so I'll leave it at that  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Koke said:

Rodgers is definitely a good coach and a right fit for us but I just can't wrap my head around the 15 point bottle job last season. If we threw away a 5 point lead, fair enough, it happens, but this was a bigger choje job than Keegan's Newcastle. 

This season to be third and top of our EL group is excellent. 

As for Puel, people forget when he took over we were 17th playing horrible hoof ball with an aging team. Rodgers took over a team that had Tielemans, Maddison and Ricardo. The transformation will never be credited to Puel by a certain segment on here who hated him from day 1. 

Agree with what you're saying but you have to admit Rodgers introduced his "philosophy " straight away and you could see it from whatever part of the ground you were sitting in and it became exciting again , having the same players available to him as Puel.

He has made us a team with identity, which i find amazing when you hear the pundits giving us plaudits 

I believe under Rodgers we can only get better and better. 

Long live King Brendan 

P.s, I was one of the few that wanted Puel to stay 😬😬

19 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...when your spending £72m on Pepe...you have the money!!!

I would sell the majority of the players and with property scouting they can build a team. With Spurs top of the table I would have thought they would have shown Arteta the door this morning. They delayed by a good 5 years with Wenger so no surprise they are getting it wrong again.

Pepe was signed last summer. This summer they spent 77 million in total. The biggest outlay 27 million. They need a overhaul top to bottom like utd .you can’t overhaul a team in a season even with 300 million. Man city , Liverpool and Chelsea have be spending loads every year for years . Arsenal haven’t and won’t unless they are taken over by someone else. They by one or two big signing and surrounded them with inadequate players. And I’m sure the arsenal fans wish the had keep Wenger. His hands were tied by the board because of his loyalty. But he kept them in there season after season. But I could be wrong . We are very lucky with our owners 💪

11 hours ago, GoonerJeeves said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

First of all, it is highly unlikely that our owner would spend the money to pay out Rodgers' contract. We'd probably rather get Vic Akers in, since he is available for free...Secondly, as many of you have pointed out, turning around Arsenal is a big and thankless job right now. The pressure would be on from day one. The squad is unbalanced, and quite frankly, not good enough. There are limited funds to fix the squad.

Much easier for Rodgers to do well with you, then jump at an opportunity that is less of a risk.

Agree with this, if BR wants to eventually get a job with an elite club then he would be crazy to take this Arsenal job. Much better for his career to stay with Leicester where there is much less pressure and expectation and bide his time for another elite club offer.

Arsenal are a basket case at the moment and the quality of player or budget they have at the moment then it's a sideways move for the short term but with much bigger expectation. I would expect Arsenal to struggle for at least the next two years. 

The fact that this thread exsist, is proof that Brendan's tenure is receiving now  respect,und getting more decent/Top reviews,than any cringe-worthy nonsense

negative reviews...There will always be the odd one,who will find they get off by dishing out tripe....but they will just that ODD..!!

37 minutes ago, waylander said:

Pepe was signed last summer. This summer they spent 77 million in total. The biggest outlay 27 million. They need a overhaul top to bottom like utd .you can’t overhaul a team in a season even with 300 million. Man city , Liverpool and Chelsea have be spending loads every year for years . Arsenal haven’t and won’t unless they are taken over by someone else. They by one or two big signing and surrounded them with inadequate players. And I’m sure the arsenal fans wish the had keep Wenger. His hands were tied by the board because of his loyalty. But he kept them in there season after season. But I could be wrong . We are very lucky with our owners 💪

..you tell that to the "black scarfs brigade"!!!

Their were marches to demonstrate against Wenger being manager and this was the one thing that most upset Wenger after the initial success that he had brought to the club.

You are correct that until there's a change at the helm nothing will improve, as Kroenke cares nothing about football but only sees the revenue it brings to him.

I do not believe you need to be spending £300m+ in order to rebuild the team, it can be done for a lot less you just need to scout better.

We can't afford to spend £300m to build a team but we can compete for top six or more.

I would suspect if Arsenal were to instigate a youth policy with local youths coming through, it would be like a breath of fresh air.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..you tell that to the "black scarfs brigade"!!!

Their were marches to demonstrate against Wenger being manager and this was the one thing that most upset Wenger after the initial success that he had brought to the club.

You are correct that until there's a change at the helm nothing will improve, as Kroenke cares nothing about football but only sees the revenue it brings to him.

I do not believe you need to be spending £300m+ in order to rebuild the team, it can be done for a lot less you just need to scout better.

We can't afford to spend £300m to build a team but we can compete for top six or more.

I would suspect if Arsenal were to instigate a youth policy with local youths coming through, it would be like a breath of fresh air.

We have probably spent 300 million. Even bringing youth in . The black scarf brigade reaping what they sowed . Done nothing since Wenger left . It wasn’t Wenger they needed out I’m sad to say . It was the board . But I appreciate your comments too just fans need perspective especially ours at the moment. We have an outstanding setup at the minute instead of all the moaning enjoy it while it’s here every moment. Things change . 😉