Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

I have been frustrated myself on the what I feel is over the top possession play, however at the same time acknowledged he is doing enough again this season to keep us at the right end of the table, and we are still in Europa, he has done what I thought would never happen, somehow he has came back from a position I thought was terminal, and fair play to him for that.

I feel part of the reason last season was Chilwell became unsettled, and it was affecting more of the squad, now with him gone, Rodgers has managed to contain it and got the players more unified again.  Its pure speculation on my part, but it would make sense.

That occurred to me too, you might well be right.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

(1) His interviews were terminally dull yes but what he was doing inside the club, with his arrogance and stubbornness and lack of man management skills, turning the place horribly toxic, is what got to me.

(2) He most certainly does not deserve more credit IMHO

I'm a football broadcaster so part of my job is to find out stuff.

I reported what I was told by several players, coaches, staff and others and have shared it here.

Hope that explains it.

Well said GP 

52 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

(1) His interviews were terminally dull yes but what he was doing inside the club, with his arrogance and stubbornness and lack of man management skills, turning the place horribly toxic, is what got to me.

(2) He most certainly does not deserve more credit IMHO

I'm a football broadcaster so part of my job is to find out stuff.

I reported what I was told by several players, coaches, staff and others and have shared it here.

Hope that explains it.

I don't doubt your feedback on Puel, though I suspect a large part of his arrogance and poor man management  skills was down to language  skills  (lack of) rather than an inherent  nastiness. 

It's undeniable though that under his stewardship we were transformed at a stroke away from Shakespeare's horror show to a fluid, possession based team with 21st century  tactics. 

Also undeniable was the fast tracking of Chilwell and Choudhury, the development and subsequent profit of Maguire and signing Tielemans and Ricardo. 

Arrogant or not, he left the club in a far better state than how he found it.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Arrogant or not, he left the club in a far better state than how he found it.

While he has a few ticks in the positive box, maybe we should 'agree to disagree' on the club being "in a far better state" when he left.

EDIT: obviously the club was in a far better state in one way when he left ... because he wasn't manager anymore  lol

Edited by UpTheLeagueFox
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

This one is an interesting one, Puel never had a run as bad as our run at the end of last season.  Usually a manager would get sacked for such a bad run, and Puel did get sacked.  What probably saved Rodgers job, is the cost of sacking him with the size of his contract, and the fact the bad run was at the end of a season instead of the start of a season.  Timing does play a part.  If we started a season with the form we had since late December, then at the halfway point we would have been bottom 1/4 of table.

I respect opinion's but I feel like some comments are here are clutching at straws, like people are trying to find reasons to hate on the previous manager, just because they couldnt take a liking to him.

Take e.g. the fact you are blaming Puel for our negative play, Puel has nothing to do with our current state of play, he no longer part of the coaching staff.  I feel that type of comment is clearly born of something personal, it has no rationale to it at all.

I accept and agree Puel was not a good motivator, seemingly also poor at man management as well, and this sadly overshadowed his good merits.  But when it comes to gameplay, I think a big factor as to why Rodgers was employed is because he has the same style of football as Puel which ultimately meant a smooth transition.  They are both possession based managers.

I have seen it time and time again in life, if someone is not a good people person, they become disliked, and then once people make that decision, their merits get ignored, and their flaws become highlighted, its simple human nature.

While I agree with your sentiments. I had links to the training ground at the time and the way he treated many members of the playing staff was disgraceful. It was no wonder they didn't play well for him. You say he's not part of the coaching staff, no he isn't, but he did create a squad and ethos of slow sideways and backwards football, which we still seem to fall back into at times. 

We play best when we press high, have high tempo and move the ball forward quickly. Like today. We need to not revert back the Puel's style and believe that we can play our game against anyone. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

It saddened me how much self awareness he lacked.

And it's a shame how some probably still don't quite get the extent of the major problems Puel left for Rodgers to address.

This, I'm sorry to say, is actually/factually bolllocks. Some examples:

(LONGER)

Puel:  December 2017 - end of 2018 season (21 matches) 21 points

Rodgers: December 2019 - end of 2020 season (21 matches) 23 points

(SHORTER)

Puel: End of 2017/18 season (7 matches) 4 points

Rodgers: End of 2019/20 season (7 matches) 7 points

Puel: His final 13 PL games (Dec 18-Feb 19) 13 points

Rodgers: The final 13 PL games of last season (Feb-July 2020) 13 points

In conclusion, even during the very worst spells under Brendan Rodgers, mainly in the second half of last season, he never got fewer points than Claude Puel.

Shhh don’t let facts get in the way of wild speculation on here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With Rodgers there is hope. With Puel there was none. The one time I took the missus to a match we lost 0-1 to f'ing Cardiff in the last minute. She was happy, they were serving 'Christmas pies'. Vardy was subbed off and Maddison missed a penalty.

Vardy and Rodgers both said today said that they had learnt why they had lost to Spurs last season (3-0 down at half time), worked on it, and came out 2-0 victors which for a milimeter or single frame of VAR footage would have been 3-0.

I genuinely think Rodgers is enjoying it here, an even the likes of Arsenal couldn't tempt him away right now. If we don't make top four this season, maybe he will be off to Man Utd but for now he seems more than happy and has no desire to leave. What happens when Vardy retires and there is no replacement for him, maybe then he will take the jump.

Edited by jim5000
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah been saying for weeks now that we just have to accept him for what he is. He's frustrating at times and some decisions make no sense but then at other times (like today) he gets it spot on and we look great. 

Boxing day will be another test of how much he's improving us as both games against United last season we completely bottled it

This about sums it up

We can be sublime or abject, in equal measure

This is how it’s been so far and probably will continue to be 

13 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

And it's a shame how some probably still don't quite get the extent of the major problems Puel left for Rodgers to address.

(LONGER)

(SHORTER)

In conclusion, even during the very worst spells under Brendan Rodgers, mainly in the second half of last season, he never got fewer points than Claude Puel.

Fair enough on the stats, I expect given what you said was told to you by players, and it must have been quite bad for you to get told as the club obviously wont want players saying these things to the press, then puel's poor man management was very likely a factor in his sacking.

I still think he did some good things for us, the transition to a younger squad and new playing style (even if I dont like the playing style sometimes, it clearly is in line with the direction the club wants to go in), but sadly his flaws proved untenable in the end.

My view perhaps isnt strong as yours as for one reason I dont speak to any of the playing or coaching staff, Because you do interview these people you do have that connection, and it seems to at least be a little factor in your opinion.

Please bear in mind we all dont have the luxury of been able to speak to insiders at the club, when you look at the official press statements, tv interviews etc, there is no one on there crying about a toxic environment, also you did come across a bit strong as if its some kind of competition with the factual bollocks stuff, but what has come out of this, the playing styles are similar, the bad runs are still similar, even though I was wrong on Rodgers run been worse, it is still only 2 points better over 21 games.  So I dont think that is something to brag about.  Ultimately the difference here is I didnt know how bad the man management was, and also that you value man management a lot, probably influenced by your contacts, so you can judge a manager based on how happy they are and so forth.  I dont think it is as simple as saying though because the manager is everyone's friend he is the ultimate manager, and it also doesnt exempt him from criticism, but with that been said I do accept your points, and I hope we can be more polite to each other.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

(LONGER)

(SHORTER)

Whilst I was not dismayed by the sacking of Puel it was unlucky to be sacked at two clubs  outside the top six  when they were in the positions  they were. Entertainment has a higher ranking at the 2 clubs in question  than most in the Premier 

Just listened to the talent takes practice. For anyone interested in Brendan’s footballing approach, it is a must listen (despite Robbie being his usual self). 

An incredibly knowledgeable, articulate and clever man. Listening to him speak really fills you with confidence that we have the right man in charge. 

As others have said, while obviously not perfect (who is?), we really are lucky to have him. 

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 12:08, StanSP said:

Savage is unbearable in this. If he’s not trying to make some rubbish gag at someone else’s expense, he’s turning the show into his own coaching course with his niche, specific examples. 

Did anyone know he was working at Macclesfield? Mentions it once or twice here...

On 20/12/2020 at 18:13, Sharpe's Fox said:

I think we are all at the point where we recognise that the bad things about Rodgers come with the good, and we all agree the good outweighs the bad. I certainly expect another shithouse away performance at the KP over the next week's and thats okay! Long live the Rodgers era!

I just looked at the fixtures and I see Southampton are coning here on 16 January and Leeds will come here on 31 January. Mark those 2 games down as Ls..

The good definitely outweigh the bad with Rodgers. We are on course to finish top 6 again which would be remarkable.

47 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

Savage is unbearable in this. If he’s not trying to make some rubbish gag at someone else’s expense, he’s turning the show into his own coaching course with his niche, specific examples. 

Did anyone know he was working at Macclesfield? Mentions it once or twice here...

Certainly makes you wonder who’s making the decisions at Macclesfield. Can’t imagine how he got through the interview!!!

2 hours ago, The Prince said:

Just listened to the talent takes practice. For anyone interested in Brendan’s footballing approach, it is a must listen (despite Robbie being his usual self). 

An incredibly knowledgeable, articulate and clever man. Listening to him speak really fills you with confidence that we have the right man in charge. 

As others have said, while obviously not perfect (who is?), we really are lucky to have him. 

...strange  thing..I  always try to listen to the managers after the game!!!

Radio Leicester were interviewing Craig Shakespeare, who had been asked why he had made a particular substitution.

He gave a very informative response detailing what he expected to have gained by the change and what he said made great sense and I would have loved to listen to him for a lot longer.

Being part of the back room was a help and a hindrance for Shakespeare. He could keep the team together and that increased the players morale at the time but he needed to transition from being their friend to being their boss, it didn't work and I would like to think he would try again as it is a position he aspired to.

It is always very interesting to listen to the thoughts of managers and their tactics, from a layman's point of view they all sound alike and their tactics well reasoned.

Edited by sacreblueits442