Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

Just now, StanSP said:

If Evans doesn't get booked Sunday, it's fairly straight-forward. As attacking as the line-up was in the circumstances, and I didn't have any qualms about it, having Ndidi out of the midfield was the best option.

I'm not sure it was but fair enough :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I disagree, Barnes marked out of the game due to lack of support from fuchs, took under off who seemed to be our most creative outlet, an obvious sub could have been Albrighton for fuchs and to liven it up a bit could have pulled mendy for Praet. Thought his management was poor tonight 

But, if he picks Thomas to provide support to Barnes and hes ripped apart by Iwobi/Richarlison, he would cop it for that to. He went for the safer option in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I disagree, Barnes marked out of the game due to lack of support from fuchs, took under off who seemed to be our most creative outlet, an obvious sub could have been Albrighton for fuchs and to liven it up a bit could have pulled mendy for Praet. Thought his management was poor tonight 

...I agree to some point with your assessment, but switching Fuchs for Albrighton would not have been a good ploy!!!

Albrighton is not very good in a back Four and has cost us goals more than once with his decisions. Bringing on Thomas would have been a more appropriate move and the Praet substitution would have allowed us to have stretched the Everton defence.

Barnes link up play with Thomas has been a major plus for us this season and that might have given Barnes the impetus to stay more in the game, as he seemed fired up for this match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Disagree if you may but I believe this squad has the talent to achieve more. This where the frustrations come from. Finishing 4th-7th is excellent for a club like ours but when you see our talent pool and you see other big clubs in disarray, its disappointing that we are not taking advantage of it.

Absolutely that!

Matt Piper said last night: "It is the hope that kills you with this squad", I seem to agree with him. The squad is talented, but it is when they don't turn up for a game, like last night, it becomes so frustrating.  I still think we need someone in the middle of the park, a leader like Jordan Henderson, who can snap our players out of a malaise!  Against Everton there was no urgency and Rodgers needs to address this problem, or it will keep biting us on the arse!  Rodgers Is a good coach and if he wants to be considered for the so called big jobs, he needs to make us more consistant!  If we lose, and we play well, most sensible fans can accept that, as fans we can see this squad has potential which needs to be unlocked for 9/10 games not 5/10 games.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

Matt Piper said last night: "It is the hope that kills you with this squad", I seem to agree with him. The squad is talented, but it is when they don't turn up for a game, like last night, it becomes so frustrating.  I still think we need someone in the middle of the park, a leader like Jordan Henderson, who can snap our players out of a malaise!  Against Everton there was no urgency and Rodgers needs to address this problem, or it will keep biting us on the arse!  Rodgers Is a good coach and if he wants to be considered for the so called big jobs, he needs to make us more consistant!  If we lose, and we play well, most sensible fans can accept that, as fans we can see this squad has potential which needs to be unlocked for 9/10 games not 5/10 games.

I think Wilf can do that, but he was in the back 3 yesterday at Everton and not where he should have been. I would like to see him be a bit more vocal though. We seem to have a lot of talented/gifted players in the middle, but they're all quiet as a mouse. I'm showing me age, but a Bryan Robson type of midfielder, or a Neil Lennon would be ideal for us at the mo. As you say, we need someone to bark at players and not give a monkey's if they square up to their own - they need to start calling out some of those players who are not trying on the field in the game. Kasper has the mouth and the gravitas, but he's 30,40,50 yards away.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

..the problem then is who do you drop to accommodate this!!!

I have said it a few times that Tielemans needs to develop a voice on the pitch as he is the one entrusted by Rodgers to implement his tactics in the game. I am now convinced it is not in his personality to attempt to pull the team together while things are not going to plan, as too often we find ourselves in a position crying out for someone to take control on the pitch, but we have no one in the right position who can do so.

With all the talent we have in this team and we have got talent, we need to have that person to knit us all together.

Last seasons run in doesn't happen or at least not to the extent it did, should we have had such a player.

• Like 1

I have held my consistent opinion about BR since he came, and its never really changed. I am not a fan. I don't think he is a bad person & I am not against him, however to be fair, he is far better than Puel as a LCFC manager.

A top manager has to find a way to be successful in various circumstances, and at times I believe BR has the very occasional ability to be pragmatic. I believe he is not using the squad to its full ability, and his tactics are always based on the same philosophy.

The major criticism I have of BR is that he has this staunch common footballing ideal (footballs modern disease), where we are a possession based side, we have an amazing striker, however in limited circumstances!  When those circumstances and situations are not able to be created in a match, he is unable to be pragmatic, proven, as the answer clearly is not Perez or Iheanacho! For example there is no change in attacking philosophy, just personnel.

Removing Mendy for an attacking threat on face value is an attacking change, however if there are no new attacking questions asked to an opposition defence, the threat is actually diminished, and a susceptibility to a counter attack is created (Risk / Reward strategy).

BR should be supporting Vardy, I'd have rather they bring on Morgan (or any ariel threat for example) to support Vardy, but that is against BR's footballing ideals. Even Johan Cruyff accepted that was an option with 5 minutes to go, so why not when 0v2 down?

I find that BR rightly received credit for being pragmatic in the Man City match. However Man City had to comply, and want possession of the ball. Watching LCFC against a rival now is simply a case of whose midfield is more toothless at creating suitable attacking opportunities... any team can be organised and defend deep (Example Sheff Utd), especially when leading against LCFC. This is a major issue like our toothless Set pieces & corners, which has not been addressed since 2018/19.

So we play THFC next, Mourinho will set up like all good managers would set up against Vardy, to be very deep, and counter LCFC. I think quite rightly, THFC couldn't care less if they have 25% or 75% of the ball, if its pretty or ugly, if its boring, or entertaining... I'd rather us be winners. I really hope THFC back themselves as footballers and come at us with 75% possession, as we will win, but I highly doubt Mourinho is that naïve.

I do not find possession, for possessions sake entertainment. You can pat yourselves on the back for having 60% possession against Everton, to believe you are following the football gods path, yet still lose 0v2!

You can be like Man Citys Rodri Hernandez and say its anti football, but the record books only note the score, and us LCFC fans laugh & say he's just a sore loser... which he is.

We won the League with 43% possession, do you actually care about this, or was winning the league worth not having as much ball?

BR needs to sort out the lack of striking depth and varied attacking options, then we would be able to have some worthy game changing subs. Christ, I always wonder what Slimani is thinking when Iheanacho is ahead of him? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..the problem then is who do you drop to accommodate this!!!

I have said it a few times that Tielemans needs to develop a voice on the pitch as he is the one entrusted by Rodgers to implement his tactics in the game. I am now convinced it is not in his personality to attempt to pull the team together while things are not going to plan, as too often we find ourselves in a position crying out for someone to take control on the pitch, but we have no one in the right position who can do so.

With all the talent we have in this team and we have got talent, we need to have that person to knit us all together.

Last seasons run in doesn't happen or at least not to the extent it did, should we have had such a player.

I agree with what you've said! I listened to a football podcast at the beginning of the season, it explained that Leicester, although talented have too many nice players on the pitch and they will suffer because of this! I hope someone like Ricardo or Castagne can give us that drive and impetus we lack on the pitch, it doesn't have to be someone who's always shouting!  Sometimes it comes from players showing the team that they have a bit of fire in the belly!

Sometimes you can have too much talent; think Liverpool before Klopp & David O'leary's Leeds, shouldv'e won the prem, but just too inconsistent!  Are we destined to be a talented team that doesn't have that winning mentality?

We only have ourselves to blame...

Teams against us are only allowed to camp on their own 18 yard box and defend our attacks due to how slow we are in possession.. we receive/win  the ball and immediately it goes back/sideways.. giving the opposition  plenty of opportunity to regain their shape..

We then slowly build up until we get 30 yards out and have no answer/creativity to breach a defence.

It is our own doing... for some reason we have to keep the ball...pass it around for 15/20 passes yet go nowhere..

Up the tempo get our flair players on the ball earlier and we will hopefully start to see a difference..

• Like 2

Got it spot on today. Still have my frustrations but can't, and haven't, denied that when we are good we are very good. To win away at Man City, Arsenal (yes, I know) and Tottenham in the first 7 matches is a brilliant effort.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Mourinho now added to Pep and Bielsa in impressive scalps this season.

Tactically he got it spot on today as well. Some tidbits:

• Put Castagne on the left hand side instead of the right, and had JJ and Sharky on the right hand side. How many times did Son get on the ball in that match? That happened for a reason, those two did a number on Son and Regullion. JJ''s pace was why he played that side instead of Timmy.
  • Every time Kane got the ball in midfield we clattered him. Kane has turned into something of a playmaker this season and frequently assists Son, Lo Celso, Bergwijn. This is the first game in what seems like forever where Kane didn't score, and didn't look like scoring.

I thought he would go 541 to counter their counter attack, but fair play to Rodgers, he's set the team up to go there and play them off the park on their own patch, and we did it! Tremendous performance. 

• Like 3

I guess Mourinho didn't get it right today. Needs to be more pragmatic. So frustrating. Better sort it out soon or else. Did I miss anything?:beer:

We were very good today. Team selection spot on, controlled the entire game with N'didi looking back to his best. Didn't allow Spurs to get anything on the break and left no space in behind. If anything the scoreline underwhelmed us based on our performance.