Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Wesley Fofana: Signs For LCFC

5 hours ago, KingsX said:

https://www.eurosport.com/football/transfers/2020-2021/summer-transfer-window-every-premier-league-club-rated-and-reviewed_sto7933665/story.shtml

Leicester City

As expected, there was not even any point in having a Sky Sports reporter at the King Power on deadline day. There was more chance of seeing pigs fly than Leicester adding any further signings.

Filling the hole left by Harry Maguire was the priority, and they left it late, but Leicester feel they have got the man capable of stepping into that void in Wesley Fofana. Ben Chilwell is a big loss, but they moved quickly to replace him with Timothy Castagne. Still, a few more bodies would have been welcomed.

Grade: C

wry.gif.e1aa6c7dbb656b2df7f9a0a22b44fc05.gif

p.s.  confused?  Try this …

replace "filling the hole left by Harry Maguire was the priority" with "acquiring a third center back better than Harry Maguire seemed a decent laugh".

replace “got the man capable of stepping into that void”  with "followed up their upgrade to PFA Team of the Year CB Caglar Soyuncu with an even more talented youngster”.

I never bother reading transfer reviews. You only find out how it went after a few months and generally they're decided by who's signed the biggest names.

Already seen contributions from all the signings we made. Under was terrific in his little cameo last night.

• Like 3

Ashamed to admit that I initially thought we should have gone with James Tarkowski's prem experience. I couldn't have been more wrong lol

Wes looks he's already twice the player Tarkowski is and is only going to get better whereas JT has probably peaked. Well done to the scouting team.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2020/10/26/liverpool-should-already-consider-move-for-36m-wesley-fofana/

It's started - no surprise there.

Liverpool should already consider move for £36m Wesley Fofana
October 26, 2020Alex Caple

Liverpool should already consider a move for Leicester City defender Wesley Fofana. The teenager looks like an incredible talent.

Liverpool may well be in the market for a defender. Virgil van Dijk is likely out for the season, after all, with no guarantee that the 29-year-old will be back the same player.

That leaves Liverpool with just two senior centre-halves – Joe Gomez and Joel Matip. But the latter has injury problems of his own. Matip hasn’t featured regularly for a year now and missed the most recent game through injury, immediately after returning from the previous spell out.

He, too, is 29. In short, Liverpool need to think about signing a defender – maybe even multiple.

There are certainly links with a few. The Liverpool Echo claim the Reds like Brighton’s Ben White. The Mirror believes talks are underway for Ozan Kabak. SportBild lists Liverpool as wanting Dayot Upamecano.

Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now

All are great, young defenders and players we’d be thrilled to have at Anfield. But we think Liverpool need to have at least one eye on Leicester City’s Wesley Fofana.

Fast start
Fofana only arrived at Leicester City in October for around £36m. They signed him from Saint-Etienne, managed by Claude Puel, and the ex-Foxes boss believes they’ve got a bargain.

Per the Leicester Mercury, Puel believes Fofana would have gone for much more if the move happened a year later. He tips the 19-year-old to become one of the world’s best and that the biggest clubs were lining up a 2021 move.

And Fofana’s start lends credence to that. He’s started two Premier League games now – at home to Aston Villa and away at Arsenal – and looked the part in both.

That’s no easy feat, given he’s a very inexperienced teenager. But Fofana is over 6ft tall, he’s fast, he’s eager to get on the ball, and happy to run with it.

In all, he looks like the perfect Jurgen Klopp defender in waiting. Those are all qualities Klopp likes in a high-line system that asks his defenders to pass forwards. There was a moment on 65 minutes against Arsenal were the centre-half burst down the right flank with the ball, moving his team forwards and pushing the Gunners back.

If Fofana is showing that ability at 19 in his second Premier League game, he could become a truly sensational player. We’d certainly back Brendan Rodgers to get him there.

Fofana may prove to be incredibly expensive after this season, certainly. Leicester won’t sell him cheap. But as we saw in Liverpool shattering their transfer record for Van Dijk, Fofana may prove to be a player too good to pass up. He looks like a very special talent at a time when the Reds are in the market.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The price made me scoff at him, it’s a ridiculous cost for the games he’s played. But bloody hell... I can now see why.

For his age and experience, in a new league with a new club and new players around him he’s been utterly ridiculous.

Agree. This deal seemed left field for us, very expensive for someone quite so young, but yes, I get it now.

Forget his speed, his tackles, and all that, his game intelligence and positioning seems way beyond years

Also curiously, what IS the deal with Saliba??? He was the brighter of the two apparently, so where the hell is he?

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Agree. This deal seemed left field for us, very expensive for someone quite so young, but yes, I get it now.

Forget his speed, his tackles, and all that, his game intelligence and positioning seems way beyond years

Also curiously, what IS the deal with Saliba??? He was the brighter of the two apparently, so where the hell is he?

Saliba is currently at the wrong club. Fofana chose wisely, although he has been given a helping hand by Soyuncu’s injury.

I’m amazed at how good he has been in the last 3 games, the sky really is the limit for Fofana. We’ve signed three excellent players in this window, well done to the Scouting and Recruitment Teams (and dare I say, Congerton).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

The price made me scoff at him, it’s a ridiculous cost for the games he’s played. But bloody hell... I can now see why.

For his age and experience, in a new league with a new club and new players around him he’s been utterly ridiculous.

It really is extraordinary how he and Castagne have slotted in so quickly and easily.

It's testament to the scouting team, the quality and personality of the squad already here as well as BR and the coaching team knowing exactly how to get the maximum out of the new players.

Even Ünder, who's looking the least integrated so far, made a crucial contribution in just his third appearance.

I wonder how much the lack of supporters in stadiums is helping these guys with the reduced stress factor they must cause.

24 minutes ago, shen said:

It really is extraordinary how he and Castagne have slotted in so quickly and easily.

It's testament to the scouting team, the quality and personality of the squad already here as well as BR and the coaching team knowing exactly how to get the maximum out of the new players.

Even Ünder, who's looking the least integrated so far, made a crucial contribution in just his third appearance.

I wonder how much the lack of supporters in stadiums is helping these guys with the reduced stress factor they must cause.

Certain teams like Man U and Chelsea just try to sign anyone without really thinking how they fit in with the squad... and they are willing to pay big money to do it. We have things good at the moment, and pretty much bringing in what we need and the type of player that fits in with what BR wants. 

5 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Certain teams like Man U and Chelsea just try to sign anyone without really thinking how they fit in with the squad... and they are willing to pay big money to do it. We have things good at the moment, and pretty much bringing in what we need and the type of player that fits in with what BR wants. 

I can't really say what goes on at Man U or Chelsea (I think the latter have bought well), but we do seem to take a good holistic approach to recruitment. It's obvious we are looking for the right characters that fit the squad as much as the actual talent of the transfer targets. Benkovic aside, we seem to be incredibly successful with our defensive recruitments in particular. I really feel that I trust the club when they're looking for transfers in this area.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2020/10/26/liverpool-should-already-consider-move-for-36m-wesley-fofana/

It's started - no surprise there.

Liverpool should already consider move for £36m Wesley Fofana
October 26, 2020Alex Caple

Liverpool should already consider a move for Leicester City defender Wesley Fofana. The teenager looks like an incredible talent.

Liverpool may well be in the market for a defender. Virgil van Dijk is likely out for the season, after all, with no guarantee that the 29-year-old will be back the same player.

Well lads you've got wait till the end of the season for him to even play for you.....

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/arsenal-leicester-fofana-aubameyang-tweet-19166242

"How it’s started/How It’s going. Very proud of the road travelled. @Aubameyang7," with a picture of himself as a child standing with Aubameyang, during the striker's time at Saint-Etienne - and of Sunday evening's clash.

ImageImage

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shen said:

I can't really say what goes on at Man U or Chelsea (I think the latter have bought well), but we do seem to take a good holistic approach to recruitment. It's obvious we are looking for the right characters that fit the squad as much as the actual talent of the transfer targets. Benkovic aside, we seem to be incredibly successful with our defensive recruitments in particular. I really feel that I trust the club when they're looking for transfers in this area.

I don’t know if spending 70m on Kepa who they don’t use/trust, and then buying attacking players they don’t need is buying well. Goals wasn’t their issue it is the defence, they haven’t bought that well 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This season the reason why they have fitted in so seamlessly is because the right preparation was made in terms of looking at players, IE looking at their specific strengths with regards to the style of play we want to play.

Take Castagne. He played for Atalanta who play the highest intensity football in Serie A and who are a very attacking team. He was already a Belgian international and friends with Tielemans and Praet. We knew he had incredible stamina. He's basically playing the same role he did for Atalanta for us and therefore excels.

Now look at Fofana. He's a proactive defender that anticipates the challenge and makes it early. Remind anyone of a certain Turkish international defender we have in our ranks? So he fits our style right away, though I think we will all admit this one looks like an insane signing. He could literally be a generational signing like Varane.

Under is the one that will have to adapt the most because he did not play in the same way we want from him. And that's why of all our players, he is the one that is being introduced the most gradually. But you can see why we signed him, the pace and technique shown to deliver that cross with his weaker foot is something our other players would not be able to do. 

Compare this to Man United. They signed Maguire but then try to play a high line. They signed Win-Bissaka but then expect him to be a creative player for them. It's the difference between scattergun signings and strategic signings where the entire club understands what we are looking for and making it happen. We are so well run it's unbelievable.  

Man Utd certainly seem disjointed, but I don't think it's correct to portray our recruitment as 'unbelievable'. We've had some shocking transfers in recent times as well (Silva, Ghezzal, Slimani, Musa et al) which it seems we've learnt from.

But even looking at the current squad, neither Nacho or Perez have really justified the big outlays and have at best been average. It's not really until the end of last season that we've seen Mendy delivering either while Benkovic was quite expensive and he's yet to even play in the league.

Obviously we've had some big hits as well, but we're still capable of making some duffers in the transfer market.