Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Adrien Silva joins Sampdoria permanently

25 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I think he was just not given the time to settle and adjust, just like Mendy, and we never realised what we missed. I agree with you he was what we needed, and he made good runs into the box, but I disagree with your other comments. He didn’t have the other players thinking with him in terms of movements. You can tell he is an intelligent player by the moves he makes, the runs he makes, his positioning, and the passing he makes. People think his passing was off, but it was to me more that the movement of our team was not up to scratch. He was expecting his teammates to make certain runs and movements, hence the passing, but they never quite did. Remember we were doing a lot of backward and sideway passing for years. It needed time to change, and it needed time for Silva to adjust to our crappy style, but he was in one game, then out next, the sub in one game, what do you expect? Remember he only played 15 or so games! Then he was locked out. It is easy for us to say he was crap - but he was not. And We simply cannot judge him like and give the comments you and others made about his passing! 

So you're saying he was passing to people that were not there? Sounds about right..

26 minutes ago, Fktf said:

The best worse signing ever. Promised so much, delivered so little.

Actually can't think of a bigger spending mistake we've made on a transfer. In terms of a wasted fee, 'Splashing' out so much at the time on Matt injury jones is the nearest I can come 

DJ Campbell and Matt Mills spring to mind

The worst signing by any club ever is probably Wise, hands down, but Silva is certainly a bad one.

Glad to see we are shifting a lot of the bomb squad in this window, and all on permanent transfers so far. That's Kapustka, Diabate and Silva gone. Only Slim and Ghezzal left, I think (other than James).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sdb said:

So how much did he ultimately cost us in transfer fees?

So far I’ve seen actual payments of €20m up front, €500k club performance related bonus & a handful of smaller payments, €39k here, €117 odd there. Which tie in with variable payments due on different things. Not a huge amount though.

Biggest question is whether we paid the €4.5m for the cancellation of the new contract he signed. I’ve not spotted the answer yet, it’s not listed as a payment from us that I’ve seen. Could have been paid by the agents and we pay them I suppose.

So about €25m worst case.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Really sad that a bit of shit admin ruined a huge chunk of his career, aside from costing us millions for nothing. 

Glad for us he’s off the payroll, and for him that he can finally restart what was a decent internationally-recognised career.

That's true but I still believe that FIFA's intransigence was unforgivable.  They would rather put a player out to pasture and potentially seriously damage a less stable club than ours for the sake of 14 seconds.  There must have been a way around it.  Corrupt bastards.

I wish him well at Samp.  Just can't understand why he never made it.  I thought that 2017 window (Nacho and Silva) would take us up another level.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shen said:

I think some are overstating the 26 caps. It really isn't necessarily an indicator that he had the required level for the PL. Portugal have had distinctly average players get more caps over the past decades.

This. Nelson Oliveira has the best part of 20 caps and he's the Portuguese Cameron Jerome.

5 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

As some of you said, the 14s really ruined his career here. His match fitness, subsequently being available half way into season meaning fans and manager gave him less time to settle, etc. More importantly, we had a few changes in managers. Unfortunately for him, when a new manager came in, they tend to let the starting 11 under previous manager continue for a while - if you look back, Shakey, Puel and Rodgers all did that. This is why I was relieved Barnes was recalled by Puel and started him just before Rodgers came in - Barnes would have taken another year otherwise before Rodgers used him and possibly Rodgers may have gone to the transfer market for his position. Barnes had Puel to thank - Rodgers did not change anything for the first half of season he took charge. For Silva, that was a death sentence. He was never a bad player - don’t know why some fans say he was bad etc when he hardly had any game time; just like Mendy who we are now discovering how good he is.  Sad for Silva, but he should have asked for a move earlier and lowered his wage demand (he could not get £80k a week elsewhere).

I don't think we can necessarily use the match fitness thing given once he was available in January '18, Claude did everything he could to rush Matty James back instead of actually give Silva a go. They see these blokes in training every single day, I'm not privy to much information (if any) but at the time I was told the staff working with him were concerned they'd signed a dud before he'd played a game for us.

------

I was personally heavily disappointed with his passing, I expected it to be fair sharp and crisp if economical - I little like Mendy but perhaps a little more forward thinking. But it was so laboured and sloppy. Just a hugely wishy washy player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

So far I’ve seen actual payments of €20m up front, €500k club performance related bonus & a handful of smaller payments, €39k here, €117 odd there. Which tie in with variable payments due on different things. Not a huge amount though.

Biggest question is whether we paid the €4.5m for the cancellation of the new contract he signed. I’ve not spotted the answer yet, it’s not listed as a payment from us that I’ve seen. Could have been paid by the agents and we pay them I suppose.

So about €25m worst case.

Wow! At least Slim gave us the goal against Porto, and even Musa beguiled us with the preseason goal vs Barca. Heck, even a bumbling Akinbiyi thrilled the ladies with his six-pack once or twice a season when he contrives to score. lol 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ScrumpyJack said:

Met him in Game in Highcross in 2018, he was buying a Switch for his children.

He picked up Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, that's when I knew he wouldn't amount to much.

Handsome bastard.

OI!! Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle is an underrated gem of a delightful tactics game... 

But what a nightmare scenario of a transfer this turned out to be for everyone apart from Sporting. Glad we can move on now and good luck to Adrien.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

There was a clause that if he made one more premier league appearance for us we would have to give Sporting another 5 million. 
A big part of the reason why he was never given another chance. 

Reminds me of how Forest wouldnt play Stern John as he was one goal off Forest having to fork out 250k to his former club. Cant remember if they were in a promotion battle or a relegation battle but he was a key player for them so leaving him oit must have been a tough call.

9 hours ago, shen said:

DJ Campbell and Matt Mills spring to mind

They played quite a bit (however badly) and didn't cost anything close to 20m.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The time being two minutes against Huddersfield with the game already won.

haha I can't remember games in particular but I do recall he looked okay away at Burnley under Puel. We lost but I thought Silva was probably our best player that day.