Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Luton Town agree to sign Leicester City 22-yr-old - Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Always going to happen with a fully fit squad. What's going to happen when Castagne and Fofana return? That's why some managers (Bielsa) like a  small squad (risky) but others manage a big squad which is essential if the club is competing on several fronts. I think that most players understand that, they're paid enough to ensure they are professional about it and be ready to play if called upon. It's always been the way since it became a squad game. 

This is where it’s gone wrong for Chelsea I feel - too many big names to keep happy meaning they are constantly rotating. Ironically our injuries have largely meant Brendan hasn’t had too many issues in this respect, but the time will come he will have to decide on his starting XI

8 hours ago, Foxxed said:

So next season KDH and Praet are our backup attacking midfielders. We'd need Europa or CL to keep them both happy. And I think Praet expressed discontent with the amount of minutes he played this season, unless I'm not mindlessly going by comments on this forum without bothering to check, which is likely.

7 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Praet was more peeved that whenever madders got injured and he was starting games, he was quickly put back on the bench when madders recovered despite how well he was playing, and he was playing well in some spells.

LOL @ the highlighted! lol

Don't see how Praet would've been expressing discontent about playing time this season, given the amount of time he's spent at the sickbay.

If he did, it's likely to have been in respect of last season, but tbh his form last did not earn any more than he got. Different player this season!

Edited by NaijaFox

5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Always going to happen with a fully fit squad. What's going to happen when Castagne and Fofana return? That's why some managers (Bielsa) like a  small squad (risky) but others manage a big squad which is essential if the club is competing on several fronts. I think that most players understand that, they're paid enough to ensure they are professional about it and be ready to play if called upon. It's always been the way since it became a squad game. 

Exactly! With a fully-fit squad, many good players are going to regularly sit on the bench and/or settled for rotated starts. Most are professional about it, although rumblings often arise towards major international tournaments (WC, Euros, etc.) when players may feel that not being a regular starter at club level may hurt their chances of making their respective NTs. 

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

This is where it’s gone wrong for Chelsea I feel - too many big names to keep happy meaning they are constantly rotating. Ironically our injuries have largely meant Brendan hasn’t had too many issues in this respect, but the time will come he will have to decide on his starting XI

Lampard was just an inexperienced (hesitating to say 'poor') manager. Player man-management is increasingly a core part of the manager's job (frankly it arguably has always been so). Clubs like Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, etc., have huge squads of players that are reasonably content. 

9 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I think Praet expressed discontent with the amount of minutes he played this season, unless I'm not mindlessly going by comments on this forum without bothering to check, which is likely.

9 hours ago, Strokes said:

I think Praet was not happy last season but I haven’t heard anything negative this season.

8 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Praet was more peeved that whenever madders got injured and he was starting games, he was quickly put back on the bench when madders recovered despite how well he was playing, and he was playing well in some spells.

Not sure I've ever seen quotes from Praet along any of these lines yet it's often been said on here he was naffed off.

Anyone got any firm proof on this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

LOL @ the highlighted! lol

Don't see how Praet would've been expressing discontent about playing time this season, given the amount of time he's spent at the sickbay.

If he did, it's likely to have been in respect of last season, but tbh his form last did not earn any more than he got. Different player this season!

I think you've made an error. My comment was on Madison injured not Praet. 

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Not sure I've ever seen quotes from Praet along any of these lines yet it's often been said on here he was naffed off.

I've watched Praet since his career here began and he was signed to be the centre right midfielder. He had a tough first season but gradually grew into the team. When we had those injurys last xmas until the end of the season he played some man of the match performances, so perhaps he assumed he'd get more starting time.

We all know nothing will knock Maddison off of his perch, hes more than often genius. I've watched Praet this season though and his body laungage has changed especially being subbed for Maddison after 60 minutes for Maddison to start taking his place again. 

Yes there is no proof and it's an educated guess, but his body laungage isnt how it has otherwise has been since he joined us. 

We also need to factor in that he came here as a forward right centre mid from sampdoria and was then placed into a deeper lying left mid position, until he was placed further up midfield over time to right centre forward mid which is his natural position. He was also played into the right wing area which he struggled with too. It was fairly obvious in his first 2 seasons that he was being played out of his natural position. Whether BR just couldn't mould him nobody will know.

For now though, hes a great asset to the team as a backup to Maddison and I hope it stays that way. Hes contracted here until 2024 so we don't have to worry about him. 

Edited by UHDrive
Typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think it was predicated on one of the games during our nose dive at the end of last season IIRC. BR and Praet seemed to be having a blazing row about something and Praet was subsequently withdrawn and looked a bit peeved about the whole thing .

15 hours ago, UHDrive said:

That's true. I've always loved Praet, but as time has gone on I'm doubting him as Maddison's backup for next season especially with europe. We need someone with his technical skills which are very good, but someone who can spray the ball about with some class.

...not too sure you would class him as a Maddison backup as we look to play two number 8’s when Maddison is out!!!

Praets' off the ball movement and willingness to get behind their back line is one of the major features of his game.

Maddison at #10 offers a more statistically greater scope in respect of goals and assists and his figures should not be compared to Praets'.

We tended to look a more balanced team when Praet was in the team and he will continue to have to play second fiddle to both Tielemans and Maddison for the foreseeable future. 

Personally I would like to see more of him in the team, he is like a central Albrighton, gives a 100% and with football intelligence. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not too sure you would class him as a Maddison backup as we look to play two number 8’s when Maddison is out!!!

Praets' off the ball movement and willingness to get behind their back line is one of the major features of his game.

Maddison at #10 offers a more statistically greater scope in respect of goals and assists and his figures should not be compared to Praets'.

We tended to look a more balanced team when Praet was in the team and he will continue to have to play second fiddle to both Tielemans and Maddison for the foreseeable future. 

Personally I would like to see more of him in the team, he is like a central Albrighton, gives a 100% and with football intelligence. 

Praet  gets in the best teamin the world so being a back up for a player  who never gets in a side they always  beat and ranked much lower is hardly the reason to be pleased

8 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Praet  gets in the best teamin the world so being a back up for a player  who never gets in a side they always  beat and ranked much lower is hardly the reason to be pleased

No he does not he has 9 caps for Belgium in 7 years so he is used to being on the bench.

23 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I decided not to post about Praet yesterday, as everyone is posting with honest intentions. But at the end of the day, it's supposition - we've no real way of knowing.

Yup.

My old boss used to say.....

" Never let a few facts get in the way of a good opinion".

It's stood me in good stead over the years - from both sides of the fence😜

On 09/02/2021 at 10:25, HighPeakFox said:

I decided not to post about Praet yesterday, as everyone is posting with honest intentions. But at the end of the day, it's supposition - we've no real way of knowing.

thanks

please keep us updated on your other thought processes. it's incredibly interesting. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vulpine Victor said:

We always play better when the 3 Belgians are in the team.

That would mean dropping Maddison for Praet which is unlikely. But I'll go for 2 instead...

NB. Although Praet did play as a DM for Sampdoria so maybe it's a possibility. Hes certainly got the technical passing, forward thinking and linking play attributes but would he play in that position and does he have the pace as well. Would make sense in the summer with BR wanting an attacking midfielder for Praet to drop down to replace Choudhury.

Edited by UHDrive
Factual

32 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

That would mean dropping Maddison for Praet which is unlikely. But I'll go for 2 instead...

NB. Although Praet did play as a DM for Sampdoria so maybe it's a possibility. Hes certainly got the technical passing, forward thinking and linking play attributes but would he play in that position and does he have the pace as well. Would make sense in the summer with BR wanting an attacking midfielder for Praet to drop down to replace Choudhury.

Generally Choudhury only gets a runout if both Ndidi and Mendy are out, can't see Praet being too happy with that.

3 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Generally Choudhury only gets a runout if both Ndidi and Mendy are out, can't see Praet being too happy with that.

Good point it was just an idea. I do like the thought of him in that role solely on the basis that he would pass forward and create play unlike ndidi and mendy.

• Like 1