Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Transfer targets 2020/21

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Wouldn't go near either of them, missed the boat and there's absolutely no value in them unless they hit a poor spell and could be picked up on the cheap.

We do enough careful and considered scouting to not need to try and sign players from our rivals, its what some of the clubs we are threatening do and that's why we are able to challenge them. Our recruitment is to the envy of most teams in the country, I wouldn't change it as its a bit of a myth the " proven Premier League experience ". Look at Ayoze Perez, he's been an abomination. Sigurdsson at Everton has been horrendous value too. Steer clear.

...amazing we were throwing the kitchen sink at trying to get him!!!

I think we had even gone to £50m but he didn't want to come, good player, 

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Leeds and Wolves don't need to sell, they'll both view themselves as in a similar position to where we were 2 or 3 years ago. We've only sold our players for inflated fees and we aren't going to buy anybody for more than they're worth.

We are in an envious position where we can realistically compete for some of the best young talent around. We should be scouring countries like Austria, Belgium (easier with Leuven), Bulgaria, Bosnia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, GreeceNorway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland and the Ukraine to pick up the proto world class players. I know it's not that simple but we've done it with Ndidi already. We can pick up the nascent De Bruyne types from Genk - we can't buy them one or two clubs down the line.

...we will just stick to Belgium.....that works!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Leeds and Wolves don't need to sell, they'll both view themselves as in a similar position to where we were 2 or 3 years ago. We've only sold our players for inflated fees and we aren't going to buy anybody for more than they're worth.

We are in an envious position where we can realistically compete for some of the best young talent around. We should be scouring countries like Austria, Belgium (easier with Leuven), Bulgaria, Bosnia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, GreeceNorway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland and the Ukraine to pick up the proto world class players. I know it's not that simple but we've done it with Ndidi already. We can pick up the nascent De Bruyne types from Genk - we can't buy them one or two clubs down the line.

From the outside looking in it looks to me that you are already doing exactly that and have done for a few years at least now.

16 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

From the outside looking in it looks to me that you are already doing exactly that and have done for a few years at least now.

I wouldn't say so exactly, not in the sense that Stadt means I don't think. 

We're not overly adventurous. We recruit well but I wouldn't say we're looking under any particular rocks. Mahrez from the second division in France was a bit obscure but look at some of the others. 

Fofana a French u21 from a big French club, Tielemans a well known prospect from a big French club, Ricardo a Portuguese international and Porto product from a tidy French club, Soyuncu a Turkish international from a Bundesliga club. 

I think Stadt is suggesting we should probably branch out and be looking to pick up these sorts of players from a younger age before they're snapped up elsewhere. I take his comment to mean he'd like us to be a bit more Red Bull and a bit less the team that buys from Red Bull. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We're not overly adventurous. We recruit well but I wouldn't say we're looking under any particular rocks. Mahrez from the second division in France was a bit obscure but look at some of the others. 

Fofana a French u21 from a big French club, Tielemans a well known prospect from a big French club, Ricardo a Portuguese international and Porto product from a tidy French club, Soyuncu a Turkish international from a Bundesliga club. 

I think Stadt is suggesting we should probably branch out and be looking to pick up these sorts of players from a younger age before they're snapped up elsewhere. I take his comment to mean he'd like us to be a bit more Red Bull and a bit less the team that buys from Red Bull. 

I think that may be comparing apples and oranges though with Red Bull. They are the dominant side in their league by a distance and as such can afford to blood more raw younger players and let them make mistakes before they become polished and sell them off. They also have Liefering in the same domestic set-up which helps that transition further. What you term not overly adventerous, another could term risk adverse and strategic.

The ask at Leicester is far more cut throat and immediate, particularly now being a top 4 side, there's less scope to do what Red Bull do. The norm is now signing guys for £15-30m and sellng them for double that for Leicester, that's the only way to compete at the top end and still turn over players. That's the whole point in such a model, so you can move up the tiers as you reinvest the revenue and get a better quality of player that you can then sell on for even more.

The idea of signing guys from Poland, Bulgaria, etc is a nice idea but the reality is, in the environment Leicester compete in, for every one that is a success you'll get 10 that aren't. Look at recent examples where Leicester have done this, Kaputska, Benkovic, you could even say Kramaric. There's a reason guys from these leagues look for a stepping stone move before they go to the big leagues as they need to play and make mistakes to realise they're potential. That's a tough ask at a top four club in the best league in the world.

Guys like Mahrez, Kante, etc are outliers, very much the exception rather than the rule and you could probably count on one hand the amount of these guys playing across all the top leagues that were bought for absolute pennies and go on to become among the best players in the world.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I think thats the long term hope with the new training ground... I'd imagine short term itll be the same philosophy we currently have, but hopefully in 3 to 4 years time we might see the benefit of the players we attract to come through academy due to the facilties 

19 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...amazing we were throwing the kitchen sink at trying to get him!!!

I think we had even gone to £50m but he didn't want to come, good player, 

Thought I'd read somewhere that we 'offered' £40m knowing that it wouldn't be accepted.

Did we do this so we could push up the price of a player we were selling at the time?

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

Thought I'd read somewhere that we 'offered' £40m knowing that it wouldn't be accepted.

Did we do this so we could push up the price of a player we were selling at the time?

or maybe to make an opponent pay more?

Bit of a left-fielded suggestion, but Yussuf Poulsen could be a good fit for Leicester.

Have been doing a bit of reading on him. He's 6'4, quick and presses high-up the pitch. Doesn't have the best goal return, but he made Timo Werner look like a good striker. Could be a good option to bring the likes of Barnes, Perez and Maddison into attacking moves, and be able to contribute to some improvement with set-pieces.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ScrumpyJack said:

Bit of a left-fielded suggestion, but Yussuf Poulsen could be a good fit for Leicester.

Have been doing a bit of reading on him. He's 6'4, quick and presses high-up the pitch. Doesn't have the best goal return, but he made Timo Werner look like a good striker. Could be a good option to bring the likes of Barnes, Perez and Maddison into attacking moves, and be able to contribute to some improvement with set-pieces.

And more importantly a danish friend for Kasper 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Gotta be looking at Ivon Toney if Brentford don’t go up. Scored another 1 last night. Up to 20 for the season. 

Also Armstrong at Blackburn. 

Personally think Brentford will come up this year, got to have learnt the lesson of the last 2 years, and although I'd love Toney here, I'd love to see them get a crack at the big time

Armstrong looks a good shout, although I'm only going off snippets with him to be honest

12 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Gotta be looking at Ivon Toney if Brentford don’t go up. Scored another 1 last night. Up to 20 for the season. 

Also Armstrong at Blackburn. 

while Toney would be a decent shout, i dont think that will happen, he'd cost near/over £30mil(given they sold Watkins for £30mil+)

Armstrong would be a good one too, cheaper in respects too but i think Newcastle have a 30/40% sell on clause in the contract there;

both having really good seasons and could both do well here imo

3 hours ago, Simonb said:

Armstrong looks a good shout, although I'm only going off snippets with him to be honest

Superb naturally talented player - Bamford-esque loan history. Always bemused that Newcastle never saw fit to recall him over the years. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Collymore said:

How do you come across these players Ric?

A lot of mindless discovery and then go down a rabbit hole of research. It's pretty unreliable but someone's got to do it here.

I also may or may not have access to one of the scouting tools that clubs/agents use. 

• Haha 2

On 04/02/2021 at 00:37, Leicester_Loyal said:

If Brentford don't get promoted I'd enquire about Ivan Toney if he carries on this form, I watched him tonight and he looked good. I thought the same about Ollie Watkins and still reckon he would have been a great signing.

Toney has 20 goals and 6 assists in 26 games, unreal. For reference, last year Watkins got 25 goals and 3 assists in 46 games.

Toney now on 23 goals and 9 assists in 28 games, ridiculous!!

Got a feeling he'll fire them to promotion, seems a great player.