Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Transfer targets 2020/21

I always go back to the January we signed Wague. We could have had Hoedt or Acerbi on a permanent, and there was a German guy from Hertha Berlin too. We didn't think any of those deals were value so signed a cover player.

Simple fact is that Wague wasn't required in the end (except that fun afternoon at Millwall), we bided our time and struck early to get Maguire in the summer. 

If there isn't value it's better to wait than p*ssing money up the wall.

58 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Again I see no suggested players - just lots of we could do with this type of player or that type of player... 

Last season we brought in a body for a body’s sake and it was a total disaster. Equally the policy of just bringing players ‘do a job’ completely stagnates a squad and gives you a wage bill to get rid of it (hello it’s just happened here). 

The reason I do not suggest specific names is precisely because I am not aware of exactly who would be available - yes, there are names touted by agents in the media such as the ones which you suggested but this does not mean that they were the only players available and in fact, many of our recent signings were actually signed without much paper talk at all. I do not work for the club nor do I have contacts with elite footballers and so it is a bit of a pointless exercise for me to suggest that we should've brought X or Y on loan when there is no way of knowing whether it would've been a possibility. Regarding the Bennett signing, it was bad business but it was bad business that could be smelt a mile off much like Ghezzal and others have been. Of course, I totally agree with you, that if the only kind of signing we could've ever possibly made was a Bennett-type signing then it would be best avoided or even preferable to just promote from within. My intuition is that there could've been a punt worth taking somewhere though but perhaps I am wrong and there was no one available that would even remotely improve the bench - we just don't have enough information, that's true. 

1 hour ago, Simonb said:

Exactly this, we need to bulk the squad a bit as like I say, the teams battling us for top 6, potentially have a lot less games than we do, don't want to be sitting here now challenging on three fronts, to end up burnt out with nothing do we

That being said, I do get the point in not signing short term. If the only available option was Chalobah, with Hamza going out, there was no improvement. The type of player we needed would have been from the competition, who will never loan to a rival and a short term from abroad rarely works as they need time to adjust to the league usually

I agree that Chalobah for Hamza would not have made sense and if anything, I would prefer to keep Hamza and give him more game time but who knows what options were available and what our budgetary constraints were. Regarding foreign imports, I don't think that this is necessarily the case - I feel that Youri improved the first team almost instantly when he came in on loan in January (although this is not to say that these players are so easy to find!). In any case, a loan would reduce the long term risk of future outlay on wages and yes could be a bit of a gamble, but if that gamble even helps to turn one draw into a win, those two points could be the difference between between a top four finish and a top six finish. That, to me, is a risk worth taking with the injury woes we have and problems we have had upfront for years now. Part of my frustration is that our forward signings have not really worked out and the Perez signing, in particular, still baffles me for the price and given his previously unimpressive record in the PL. 

5 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

For the life of me, I don't understand why the transfer window is a month long when nobody does business until the final few days.

Reduce it to a week for a transfer free for all!

...just like Brexit....a lot of posturing and then looking for an extension when they realised that the relevant points can't be resolved in 2 days!!!

2 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

The reason I do not suggest specific names is precisely because I am not aware of exactly who would be available - yes, there are names touted by agents in the media such as the ones which you suggested but this does not mean that they were the only players available and in fact, many of our recent signings were actually signed without much paper talk at all. I do not work for the club nor do I have contacts with elite footballers and so it is a bit of a pointless exercise for me to suggest that we should've brought X or Y on loan when there is no way of knowing whether it would've been a possibility. Regarding the Bennett signing, it was bad business but it was bad business that could be smelt a mile off much like Ghezzal and others have been. Of course, I totally agree with you, that if the only kind of signing we could've ever possibly made was a Bennett-type signing then it would be best avoided or even preferable to just promote from within. My intuition is that there could've been a punt worth taking somewhere though but perhaps I am wrong and there was no one available that would even remotely improve the bench - we just don't have enough information, that's true. 

I agree that Chalobah for Hamza would not have made sense and if anything, I would prefer to keep Hamza and give him more game time but who knows what options were available and what our budgetary constraints were. Regarding foreign imports, I don't think that this is necessarily the case - I feel that Youri improved the first team almost instantly when he came in on loan in January (although this is not to say that these players are so easy to find!). In any case, a loan would reduce the long term risk of future outlay on wages and yes could be a bit of a gamble, but if that gamble even helps to turn one draw into a win, those two points could be the difference between between a top four finish and a top six finish. That, to me, is a risk worth taking with the injury woes we have and problems we have had upfront for years now. Part of my frustration is that our forward signings have not really worked out and the Perez signing, in particular, still baffles me for the price and given his previously unimpressive record in the PL. 

100% agree on Perez.... He did 'OK' in the wide role, without tearing up any trees... but that's really not good enough

As a forward he's lost...offers nothing, looks lost to be honest

3 hours ago, Simonb said:

I have to agree. I think we've missed a huge opportunity to bring someone in here and give us that extra bit of an edge.......... only issue is, how realistic were the targets vs our finances? But surely, it's a risk worth taking

I can see the usual big name out and one or two in during the summer, maybe 2 out if we're targetting a striker... who knows

Main worry is the amount of games coming up vs the other teams battling for top 6... Not wanting to come across as negative, but I think we've accepted our fate in not signing anyone in challenging for 5th or 6th other than the top 4, I just don't think we have enough in us. Then there is the issue of the fixtures piling up and additional travelling in Europe, vs team like West Ham, Villa, Everton and if they find themselves again... Southampton.. It's not going to be easy. Youri's been the standout midfielder for me, but he looks burnt out, and he's not going to get a break now for a few months with no Praet

Fingers crossed, game by game, hopefully we'll fall over the line

We've not missed a huge opportunity in the slightest here. If there was no-one available to get that's an improvement on what we've got, the last thing we need is more mediocre squad players on long contracts and big wages. You can't buy what's not for sale or who doesn't want to come. Far from being a 'missed opportunity' this is actually good business. 

I am as peed off as everyone else at not making any signings as we are bare in some parts of the team. I can see us struggling with the amount of games and injuries, and having to play players in positions that are not natural to them.

Maybe Brendan will have to resort to using some of the youth players. Surely there has to be an alternative to Perez or Nacho up front, and also in midfield. After all, it didnt work out too bad when he had to throw young Thomas into the mix. If we are that skint that we cant buy or loan players, it is time to blood some promising youngsters, we cant keep putting out the same team every game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm that desperate I'm stupidly holding on to the hope that we go and get Alex Teixera on a free or even Sturridge 😂😂

Maybe his wage would be too high... From the clubs view worth the punt for 6 month contract, but maybe they have a wage limit as to not disrupt the dressing room? Seems like he was on 200k+ in China

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WestLothianFox said:

I am as peed off as everyone else at not making any signings as we are bare in some parts of the team. I can see us struggling with the amount of games and injuries, and having to play players in positions that are not natural to them.

Maybe Brendan will have to resort to using some of the youth players. Surely there has to be an alternative to Perez or Nacho up front, and also in midfield. After all, it didnt work out too bad when he had to throw young Thomas into the mix. If we are that skint that we cant buy or loan players, it is time to blood some promising youngsters, we cant keep putting out the same team every game.

...at the present moment Wakeling is the player making a name for himself and Ali Reghba who looked someway back to his pesky self last night!!!

Reghba has the physicality to mix it up front and operates similar to Vardy as he can make his own chances happen by his pressing, pace and anticipation. Wakeling takes up good positions, intelligent and can finish.

Rodgers would have to be brave to introduce them into a first eleven game, not too sure he will, he can be too conservative at times.

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If you know a club in the middle of the season willing to let go of a total bagsman for anything 50% over their market value, get your ideas off to the club. 

I’m reading a lot of ‘this is a missed opportunity’ and not a lot of suggested names. I think Jovic was probably the best available but he’s got to have himself intended on going back Frankfurt 

You have to look at our profile- a top 4 challenging team without hugely deep pockets. The other clubs around us wouldn't give their reserves- I think the likes of Shaqiri, Origi, Gilmour, Giroud would've been decent short term additions but never going to happen- and clubs lower down would be unwilling to sell their best players unless late into a contract for anything less than double figure millions. It's a seller's market. Anyone outside of that would surely be just taking a place in the squad.

The summer is the time to do the best business and I hope we've got our targets and go straight for them when possible.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

We've not missed a huge opportunity in the slightest here. If there was no-one available to get that's an improvement on what we've got, the last thing we need is more mediocre squad players on long contracts and big wages. You can't buy what's not for sale or who doesn't want to come. Far from being a 'missed opportunity' this is actually good business. 

yea to be fair you're right

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Corky said:

You have to look at our profile- a top 4 challenging team without hugely deep pockets. The other clubs around us wouldn't give their reserves- I think the likes of Shaqiri, Origi, Gilmour, Giroud would've been decent short term additions but never going to happen- and clubs lower down would be unwilling to sell their best players unless late into a contract for anything less than double figure millions. It's a seller's market. Anyone outside of that would surely be just taking a place in the squad.

The summer is the time to do the best business and I hope we've got our targets and go straight for them when possible.

Agreed. We always hear how difficult it is to sign players in January, but I think it is true. Any decent players will be needed by their clubs to try to win something or keep them in the division. Our only real hope of strengthening is a talented misfit like Tielemans, which is a pretty rare find.

The last few seasons have shown that we like to do our business in the summer, where there is much better value for money to be found. I've no doubt that will continue this summer. It could be a very interesting one, as I'm pretty sure there will be more bargains around than usual, with a lot of contracts running down, and struggling leagues like France being pillaged.

I think our main aim will be strengthening our striker options. We'll have to either sign Under permanently or find an alternative. We might be able to recall Sowah from OHL. I think KDH will come into the squad and Hamza will be moved on. Maybe we'll get Tarkowski if it's a good deal. If we make a big sale, then that player will have to be replaced, of course.

I'd like for us either to add or retain one more player than usual next season, to try and avoid another situation like the January just gone or Jan last season, where we were scrabbling around for reinforcements. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Raw Dykes

2 hours ago, WestLothianFox said:

I think it time for Rodgers to grow some balls and be a man about taking a chance, cant be any worse than the dross I watched on Sunday.

I think I'll trust Rodgers over you as to knowing who's the best man for the the job. Balls.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

:ph34r:

Is it just me who would hesitate to have him back? I loved him when he was here, and he deserves more game time, but he's not exactly spoken highly of us since he left.

Anyway, I'm aware that's pretty much a parody account. Not even worth thinking too much about it I guess 😅

• Like 1

Wouldn't have him back at all, not after the way he behaved to manufacture his transfer to Man City. Bearing in mind the amount of money he was earning he should have been pulling out all the stops every time he turned out in our blue shirt. He sulked and threw a strop. What's not to say he wouldn't do the same to get his own way. Great player on his day but temperament is definitely dodgy. Great player on his day but not a risk I would be happy to take, not that I think he would want to return anyway.

• Like 2

On 26/12/2020 at 11:36, 18to18 said:

My January wish list:

9:  Abdallah Sima, Slavia Praha:  19 year-old Senegalese center forward.  Tall and lanky, strong in the air, speedy.  Has an awkward gait - not like Haaland, but different.  Wriggles out of what seem like certain tackles.  Had a few excellent performances in the Europa League.  Obviously not Vardy, but I noticed Vardy-like movements and runs from him.
10:  Romain Faivre, Brest:  22 year-old French attacking midfielder.  Left-footed, free-kick merchant.  Over 2 key passes per match.  But covers well and is physical when he has to be.  More physical, left-footed version of Mads?
5:  Sven Botman, Lille:  20 year-old Dutch left-footed central defender.  Mountain of a young man at the same size as Van Dijk but he moves very well.  Ajax cut him loose and he's been a force for Lille so far. 

Not certain what to do about the wings, because I'm still not certain what our manager needs out of his wings based on whichever system he's playing.  But get these three in and you've got a Vardy understudy, more attacking intent to break down blocks in the midfield, and another young monstrous (but left-footed!) man at the back.  Depth everywhere and a solid squad to make the run in and bolster European dreams.

Still want to land Sima or Faivre in the summer, however, prudent and efficient seems to be the undercurrent, my new suggestion:

9:  Janni Serra, Holstein Kiel:  22 year-old German CF.  193 cm (6' 4") with pace and dribbling ability, strong in the air.  Previously in Dortmund's system, he smashed the U17 and U19 Bundesliga, tore his ACL and MCL at age 18 playing at the U19 Euros.  As often happens, injuries forced him into the background.  Dortmund II loaned him to Bochum and eventually sold him to Kiel. 

Recovery began in earnest at Kiel where in 18/19 he posted 10 goals and 5 assists for 15 contributions in 30 appearances and 2198 minutes played - a goal contribution every 146 minutes played. 

In the shortened 19/20, he posted 7 goals and 3 assists for 10 contributions in 19 appearances and 1389 minutes played - a goal contribution every 93 minutes played.

This season, he's hit his stride, posting 7 goals and 1 assist for 8 contributions in 19 appearances and 1280 minutes played - a goal contribution every 160 minutes played, which seems like a wobble, BUT the goals are still adding in:

18/19:  goal every 220 minutes

19/20:  goal every 198 minutes

20/21:  goal every 182 minutes

Cost:  Contract expires in June, so he comes in on a free.

Summary:  Big, Strong, fast, aerial CF scores a goal each week and comes in on a free.  SIGN HIS PRE-CONTRACT TODAY.

• Like 1

Thinking ahead to the summer. We have 2 spots available in the 25 don’t we? Was Matty James named in the 25 after the summer too? If KDH takes one, that leaves us one spot, 2 if under doesn’t sign, 3 if James was in original list. Hamza potentially leaving gives us 4. This could be a busy summer for us! 

edit: add in that Wes and Fuchs may not be here means we could have 6 spaces available in the squad to add. Get it right and we look very strong!!

Edited by Lesta2014
  • Like 1