Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 4-0 Braga - Post Match Thread

8 minutes ago, shen said:

Fully agree. He's the no frills know-what-you're-gonna-get type player. He still produces great crosses, he still runs himself to the ground, he still makes those 50-50 wholehearted challenges that mostly end up being a clumsy foul which is dangerously close to the penalty box and don't we just love him for it :D

Thought he was a tad harshly done by for his booking last night but just loved the way he was never going to pull out of that one. It was like watching a sumo wrestler the way he chested him off the pitch.:whistle:

4 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Thought he was a tad harshly done by for his booking last night but just loved the way he was never going to pull out of that one. It was like watching a sumo wrestler the way he chested him off the pitch.:whistle:

He just has a habit of ending up in those challenges. You never see him doing a dirty foul, but you will see him come a fraction or two late with a full-blooded tackle. 

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Who was it that called it the "Losers' League"? Might have to trawl back and expose them.  

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

How you enjoying the Losers' League @Foxin_Mad

6 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I haven't watched it to be honest, we are doing well but let's be honest the quality of opposition is Championship standard at best. It will be nice if we win it, that's about it. 

You haven't watched it yet you know the opposition is Championship quality?

@Foxin_Mad Imagine in the dark days of Puel we'd be poo-pooing the fact we'd not only be in Europe but romping our group !!

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

@Foxin_Mad Imagine in the dark days of Puel we'd be poo-pooing the fact we'd not only be in Europe but romping our group !!

I have watched every EL game and really enjoyed it, but I don't think 'Championship quality' as a descriptor of the opposition quality to date is far off.

Also, bit of an odd place for you to bring up Puel (again), as during his reign here, we had very recently been romping our CL group. There were far darker days you could have mentioned, like League One.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Well the fact we can play Hamza as the main holding midfielder against the team described as the most dangerous in the group, and still win 4-0 at a canter, suggests they are pretty much Championship quality, not much watching required! 

I am pleased we are doing well, fact remains we should have qualified for the Champions league last year, but that's gone now. The irony is it was Rodgers version of Puel ball that caused us to miss out!

The performances with a much weakened team have been good, our additions have been first rate. So I can't complain. 

I might find some interest if we get drawn again a half decent side in the knockouts but for me playing a nobody team from europe is no more thrilling than playing a nobody team in the early rounds of the League Cup!

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, brucey said:

There were far darker days you could have mentioned, like League One.

League One was actually quite an enjoyable experience, proper fans, proper grounds, like the old days.

The worst period was 2005-2008 in the Championship, we we just dull and shit in every way. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, brucey said:

Bit of an odd place for you to bring up Puel (again), as during his reign here, we had very recently been romping our CL group. 

45 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Any excuse to bring him into it ;)

I was referring to the poor results and performances early 2019 when we were miles from Europe let alone romping the group.

Where we were then and where we are now is chalk and cheese, off the pitch as well as on it.

It's a fair comparison and it's more to praise BR for what he's done rather than to run down CP.

4 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

League One was actually quite an enjoyable experience, proper fans, proper grounds, like the old days.

The worst period was 2005-2008 in the Championship, we we just dull and shit in every way. 

You may be right, the memory plays tricks. But the worst I've endured in recent times has been home games under Puel. Utterly, grindingly awful to watch. 

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I was referring to the poor results and performances early 2019 when we were miles from Europe let alone romping the group.

Where we were then and where we are now is chalk and cheese, off the pitch as well as on it.

It's a fair comparison and it's more to praise BR for what he's done rather than to run down CP.

You seem to mention his name a lot and it's just a bit odd. When he was our manager we were a mid table premier league side that were probably underachieving with the players that we had. However, excluding Vichai's tragic passing, I certainly wouldn't refer to them as 'dark days' when in the last twenty years this club very nearly went out of existence and has spent time in the third tier. 

• Like 3

Looking at the prize money, and yes very underwhelming opposed to the CL. But surely the £500'000 per win in the group stages as well as £1'000'000 for qualifying to the knockout rounds as group winners isn't something to be sniffed at and would pay 3 high earning players salaries per annum, not including for further progression in the competition too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I haven't watched it to be honest, we are doing well but let's be honest the quality of opposition is Championship standard at best. It will be nice if we win it, that's about it. 

You really should get a grip. Braga (with virtually the same team) last year drew 3 - 3 at home with Wolves and beat them 1-0 at Molineux. Are you really saying that Wolves are Championship standard, If so you need to watch more Premier League football.

• Like 2

Champions League is great, but so far Europe league seems to be what we needed at this moment. We've got a realistic chance of getting far in it and our confidence is sky high, just look at the way we were playing yesterday when we had a few goals already. Maybe the opposition is weaker but with all our injuries it has given us a chance to get some minutes in players that haven't had many and build up their sharpness. Bit snobby to say you wouldn't watch the EL, we're winning well at the minute, enjoy the ride!

Edit: also, we can save the CL until next year when fans are hopefully back in stadiums 👍

Edited by LCFCCHRIS
  • Like 1

In a sense I think I’m enjoying this EL campaign more than I would a CL in the circumstances. Being in the ‘lesser’ of the European competitions is easier to stomach with there being no fans, and we’re truly one of the best sides in this competition which is exciting in itself. 

Hopefully we get ourselves back in the CL and fans will be able to attend by that point.

• Like 1