Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 4-0 Braga - Post Match Thread

All this means that BR won't be under pressure to bring back injured players too soon, which is so important for a long season.

With the whole squad getting plenty of game time compared to last year, we should be stronger in the second half. In a strange way the injuries have been helpful, forcing  a rest on some of our first team.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bats8711 said:

Was that anywhere close to their first 11?

Was it anywhere near close to ours first 11? Brilliant performance from us...has to be noted that we get the best results when we're not getting the highest possession figures. So many good players for us last night, difficult to pick a MoM, so guess it has to be Iheanacho with 2 goals and an assist. Delighted to see Choudhury put a good shift in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

Yes it does feel strange. Players coming in and doing a great job. Flexibility of formation. Real desire and will to win - I'm starting to think that last seasons collapse has really galvanised the squad and Brendan appears to be much more flexible. 

Hate to say (as I'm a known jinx) it but we look the absolute business at times. 

Reminds me of how the squad just got better after the Watford play off fiasco, and then after the Welbeck winner vs Arsenal. We have great

bounce-back-ability as a team, seems to be something we never lack! 

29 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Great performance. Justin improving in every game. 

That RCB position in a back three is ideal for him. Gets so much freedom on the ball, more so than when he plays full back or wing back. A great option if we continue with this system.

• Like 2

Great that we look to be wrapping up qualification from the group early.

With any luck it will he done with a couple of games to spare so we can rest key players in the remaining games. Give some of the kids a run out.

Loving these Europa matches.

• Like 1

Excellent work, we looked great again. Gives us a bit of wiggle room now to get out of the group, we can afford not to win the return leg at Braga and we should still top the group comfortably. 

We can go a long, long way in this competition, getting to the last 8/4/2 and qualifying again for next season would be an absolutely outstanding season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

To those who wanted to throw the Albrighton out with the bathwater time after time in the last 2-3 years, usually after a defeat whether he was good, bad or indifferent, can we just close the case by presenting this weeks games as exhibit A & B. He can be our Milner which might not set pulses racing but to gamble on jettisoning him then finding someone else who can be as reliable....I'd just keep the real deal. He offers far more economy for his wage than a number of others and I doubt he's anything but a positive influence around the dressing room.

This! For a fringe player, I’d take a reliable, hard working, committed player who gives us 7/10 every week over a tricky, flair-type who gives us 9/10 once in a blue moon. 

Added to the fact that he’s pretty versatile and he’s the perfect player for the role we have available. 

1 hour ago, M0901 said:

Reminds me of how the squad just got better after the Watford play off fiasco, and then after the Welbeck winner vs Arsenal. We have great

bounce-back-ability as a team, seems to be something we never lack! 

bounce-back-ability out of the Gordon Strachan dictionary of football punditry :)

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Bats8711 said:

Was that anywhere close to their first 11?

From reading their forum last night - 5 regular starters, 3 other first team players who are regular subs but not usual starters, other changes forced due to injuries/covid. The part rotation was because of player fatigue and a big game against Benfica this weekend. 

So... About the same as us then. 

They are expecting to put a stronger team for our next meeting. As losing the next one would put them in an awkward position in the group, as we may send out our U18s for the last two dead rubber games against their competitors for qualification. lol

• Thanks 1

Albrighton once again showing why he always forces his way back into the side whenever he is sidelined. Mr reliable, always puts in a shift and gives everything for the team. His vision when looking for the early ball or cross field pass is vastly underrated by many. Never was a “flair” player but we have others for that. Goes to show that goals/assist stats are not everything as he seemed to be everywhere in the last couple of games, tackling, covering, making runs, putting in crosses and generally showing for ball and moving it on.

Every squad needs players like him around and hopefully his value will be more appreciated now

I was really surprised by how poor Braga were, really.  Looked a very pedestrian side.  But obviously we were fantastic - a thoroughly dominating performance across the board.  I don’t think we had a single player who was subpar - even Wes and Ayoze were really good.

23 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I was really surprised by how poor Braga were, really.  Looked a very pedestrian side.  But obviously we were fantastic - a thoroughly dominating performance across the board.  I don’t think we had a single player who was subpar - even Wes and Ayoze were really good.

They seemed to give us too much respect. AEK and Zorya both came out fighting harder and gave us much more of a scare.

Pretty mad how solid a back 3 containing 2 full backs and a 19 year old looks lol

Fair play to Hamza, I've given him some stick recently but he shut me right up last night, MOTM imo. Even Ayoze Perez came on and joined in with the sexy football. 

Going to be interesting to see how the team changes when people start returning from injury. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ollie93 said:

We are going to do the double aren't we. 

We are unstoppable.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This group feels very much like a quali group that England win without breaking sweat. 

It'll be interesting once we play some quality sides that can match the talent in our squad. 

I have confidence we can go far, maybe even win, but it will require some luck and for us to be switched on and BR to make the right tactical decisions at key moments.

1 hour ago, fazzyfox said:

To those who wanted to throw the Albrighton out with the bathwater time after time in the last 2-3 years, usually after a defeat whether he was good, bad or indifferent, can we just close the case by presenting this weeks games as exhibit A & B. He can be our Milner which might not set pulses racing but to gamble on jettisoning him then finding someone else who can be as reliable....I'd just keep the real deal. He offers far more economy for his wage than a number of others and I doubt he's anything but a positive influence around the dressing room.

Fully agree. He's the no frills know-what-you're-gonna-get type player. He still produces great crosses, he still runs himself to the ground, he still makes those 50-50 wholehearted challenges that mostly end up being a clumsy foul which is dangerously close to the penalty box and don't we just love him for it :D

25 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Pretty mad how solid a back 3 containing 2 full backs and a 19 year old looks lol

Fair play to Hamza, I've given him some stick recently but he shut me right up last night, MOTM imo. Even Ayoze Perez came on and joined in with the sexy football. 

Going to be interesting to see how the team changes when people start returning from injury. 

Especially when you factor in that one of those full backs is supposedly over the hill and the other is a 22 year old who was plying his trade in league 1 just over twelve months ago, purchased as a future prospect for £6m and was thrown in at the deep end last season due to injuries.

• Like 1