Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I'd argue even Keller, Flowers and Walker in recent history were on a par.

Not dismissing Kasper, but as has been said, we've had some good keepers.

Jesus, Keller made some great saves but was incredibly dodgy too. Walker was awful for the most part. Flowers was good for a season or two.

Kasper is so far ahead of those 3 in what he has achieved and how he has performed for Leicester.

Imo.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Flowers better than Schmeichel!? :blink:

Yes for me personally in his day. He was right at the end of his career when we had him. There's more to being a goalkeeper than just shot stopping which is arguably Schmeichel's best asset which is quite a big one. He's really quite poor in others area if an unbiased point of view is taken I think. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

So by that reasoning, surely Schmeichel has been the better keeper for us.

I think that's a very fair point when you put it like that and, in fairness I suppose that was the original question and not the overall best goalkeeper. So in fairness you may well be right though it would still be a close call for me personally. Flowers remained good at commanding his area whereas from a corner, with Schmeichel, he is of very little use at all to be honest. His distribution is also really quite poor. Flowers on those two counts was still better but not as mobile anymore. 

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

You’re clearly not as old as some of us ....

Wasn't born until a season or so after Shilton went to Stoke.

Also he was good enough to win the league us, which pushes him above them for me.

Edited by coolhandfox

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes for me personally in his day. He was right at the end of his career when we had him. There's more to being a goalkeeper than just shot stopping which is arguably Schmeichel's best asset which is quite a big one. He's really quite poor in others area if an unbiased point of view is taken I think. 

It depends what we mean by “best” if you mean in a vacuum just skill vs skill then, sure, make your case. (I’d disagree but it’s up for debate at least). 

But if by best, we mean the whole package of skill, longevity, honours and overall impact and influence at the club, you can’t seriously be comparing 50 odd game Flowers, with 410+ game Schmeichel who won 2 league titles, including the PL and helped us get to the CL quarters!? 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 1

Unpopular opinion alert: 

Peter Stilton, whilst a good keeper for us, got better as a goalkeeper after he left us. He was about 25 when he left as a top goalkeeper, but he developed into a world class goalkeeper after he left Leicester.

Banks left us as a world class goalkeeper- he is the number one in an all time Leicester XI easily.

Kasper though for me, in terms of what he’s done at Leicester is second choice - a country mile ahead of walker and Keller.

Shilton third, Wellington 4th and Flowers 5th

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Unpopular opinion alert: 

Peter Stilton, whilst a good keeper for us, got better as a goalkeeper after he left us. He was about 25 when he left as a top goalkeeper, but he developed into a world class goalkeeper after he left Leicester.

Banks left us as a world class goalkeeper- he is the number one in an all time Leicester XI easily.

Kasper though for me, in terms of what he’s done at Leicester is second choice - a country mile ahead of walker and Keller.

Not an unpopular opinion with me. Your 1 to 5 is spot on for me apart from Wallington in place of Wellington. :)

• Haha 1

Absolutely love the bloke. Just superb and consistent year after year. Danny Ward must be sick of the sight of him. He still hasn't made a league appearance for us!

Model professional who leads by example. We signed him just after the birth of my son, my son is now a 10 year old season ticket holder and he's his favourite player.

Not many players hang around for that long and very few make such an impression.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Unpopular opinion alert: 

Stilton does improve with age...

4 hours ago, reynard said:

Well you could turn this argument on its head and ask how today's players would have coped with poorer training, poorer diet, heavier balls, terrible pitches, smoking and boozing after matches, getting to the ground on the bus etc etc.

My guess is that Banks and Shilton would have been just as good if not even better if they were playing today than if they played when they did. Simply two of the best keepers in living memory and when you've got it you've got it irrespective of when you played.

All irrelevant really, Kasper is a good keeper and so were they. Personally, having seen them all play I'd say both Banks and Shilton were better as they had a better base level of all round keeping skills than Kasper. We've been lucky over the years to have a decent crop of keepers.

Exactly my point - I completely agree. Hence why I rubbish the idea of 'best throughout history'. Who's to say Pele, Maradona, Shilton, Banks etc wouldn't be as mercurial if they were in their prime today? They obviously had the talent.

I think it's rather irrefutable that the game has progressed massively since those days. That's no slight on days gone by or those particular aesthetics. I'd argue that competition is more fierce these days with the global outreach of the game and the professional status in most countries' top leagues (which was far from the case back then).

The demands of a goalkeeper as you allude to have increased. Now they have to essentially act as another outfield player which was rather unthinkable in even the days of Peter Schmeichel. It's widely known Kasper is an avid student of the game and by Peter's own admission Kasper is far fitter and learned than he ever was in his prime. And Peter is generally regarded as 'one of the best' in his time so what conclusion can we draw from that? Not much.

All this to say that it's rather simplistic to compare someone like Kasper and Shilton in a vacuum because the circumstances are so wildly different.

I completely agree that this club has been blessed with some great goalkeepers throughout it's history and especially after the long dirge post-Walker, it's great to be able to say that Kasper is part of that wonderful array.

27 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Unpopular opinion alert: 

Peter Stilton got better as he matured.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I'd argue even Keller, Flowers and Walker in recent history were on a par.

Not dismissing Kasper, but as has been said, we've had some good keepers.

No way. Got to be trolling

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

It depends what we mean by “best” if you mean in a vacuum just skill vs skill then, sure, make your case. (I’d disagree but it’s up for debate at least). 

But if by best, we mean the whole package of skill, longevity, honours and overall impact and influence at the club, you can’t seriously be comparing 50 odd game Flowers, with 410+ game Schmeichel who won 2 league titles, including the PL and helped us get to the CL quarters!? 

Good points.