Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Those two not enough!!! 

I'm not questioning them, I'm literally asking who you were referring to? Leicester has had a lot of good goalkeepers over the years. And it depends on what we mean by 'best'? 

Do we mean best skilled, on an individual basis? Do we mean impact? Do we mean achievements and honours? Do we mean longevity? 

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I'm not questioning them, I'm literally asking who you were referring to? Leicester has had a lot of good goalkeepers over the years. And it depends on what we mean by 'best'? 

Do we mean best skilled, on an individual basis? Do we mean impact? Do we mean achievements and honours? Do we mean longevity? 

We mean that banks and Stilton were among the ten best goalkeepers in history and they both played for us, one whilst winning the World Cup and the other whilst being simply the best out there ....

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We mean that banks and Stilton were among the ten best goalkeepers in history and they both played for us, one whilst winning the World Cup and the other whilst being simply the best out there ....

Well I'm saying it's up for debate isn't it? This is all subjective/contestable stuff and it's hard to compare one era to another. Unless I'm misreading your tone (easily done on the internet) you seem to be trying to crowbar an argument out of this? 

@coolhandfox simply said KS is the best Leicester keeper in his lifetime, which seems a completely reasonable thing for anyone born since the 1970s to say. There's no need to be a 'gatekeeper' about it. 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

OK I'll bite... You can argue that they among the best ten goalkeepers in the world at the time (I doubt many Brits had knowledge of foreign leagues and the quality of their goalkeepers back then, but I'll let it slide), but I think any of the top goalkeepers today would wipe the floor with the old guard. Just like you cannot compare Messi/Ronaldo to Pele/Maradona.

The game is so different, from the pace of the game, to the make of the ball, the pitches, the style of play, the professionalism and athleticism.

Edited by shen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

1 minute ago, shen said:

OK I'll bite... You can argue that they among the best ten goalkeepers in the world at the time (I doubt many Brits had knowledge of foreign leagues and the quality of their goalkeepers back then, but I'll let it slide), but I think any of the top goalkeepers today would wipe the floor with the old guard. Just like you cannot compare Messi/Ronaldo to Pele/Maradona.

The game is so different, from the pace of the game, the make of the ball, the pitches, the style of play, the professionalism and athleticism.

Also: we're talking about Leicester's best goalkeepers, not the best goalkeepers who ever played for Leicester. Do Shilton's european triumphs with Forest count? No. 

My original comment was made as a throw away - wasn’t meant to elicit a debate 

it was just a note that we’ve had two of the best ever between the sticks (when they were in their prime) and that if you think that kasper is the best ever to play for us in your lifetime then you can’t be as old as me........ nothing more, nothing less ....  not looking for an argument ...

• Like 2

I'd argue even Keller, Flowers and Walker in recent history were on a par.

Not dismissing Kasper, but as has been said, we've had some good keepers.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Not dismissing Kaspersky, but as has been said, we've had some good keepers.

Again, that comes back to the 'what do we mean by best' argument? In terms of longevity, overall ability and honours Kasper is in a totally different bracket to those three. 

Goalkeepers.png

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Again, that comes back to the 'what do we mean by best' argument? In terms of longevity, overall ability and honours Kasper is in a totally different bracket to those three. 

Goalkeepers.png

Keller not first choice keeper for club and country?

23 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Not dismissing Kasper, but as has been said, we've had some good keepers.

Schmeichel's consistently better than those three, I'd say.

1 minute ago, deep blue said:

No-one's mentioned Wallington.  Not making comparison with Kasper or any other of our goalies, but just saying he was a great keeper for us.

Marc was a great servant but not in the same league as Shilts or banks.  (And kasper for that matter) 

2 hours ago, shen said:

The game is so different, from the pace of the game, to the make of the ball, the pitches, the style of play, the professionalism and athleticism.

I agree with most of that but perhaps a little less with goalkeepers than outfield players. The current trend for some for example is for a more sweeper type keeper like at Liverpool and Manchester City. On those grounds I'd mark Schmeichel as being quite poor but, albeit I remember Banks and Shilton, I couldn't honestly say that they'd be any better as that didn't really occur back then. However, in terms of shot stopping, I'd say the three mentioned are, just in my opinion, fairly equal. In regards to certain other more traditional attributes like crosses, commanding of the penalty area and distribution, then I'd have to say that Schmeichel is miles behind. Overall therefore, just for me, he's quite a distant third and really quite average. I'd also personally rate Wallington and Flowers over him also.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shen said:

Well you could turn this argument on its head and ask how today's players would have coped with poorer training, poorer diet, heavier balls, terrible pitches, smoking and boozing after matches, getting to the ground on the bus etc etc.

My guess is that Banks and Shilton would have been just as good if not even better if they were playing today than if they played when they did. Simply two of the best keepers in living memory and when you've got it you've got it irrespective of when you played.

All irrelevant really, Kasper is a good keeper and so were they. Personally, having seen them all play I'd say both Banks and Shilton were better as they had a better base level of all round keeping skills than Kasper. We've been lucky over the years to have a decent crop of keepers.

• Like 2