Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

21 minutes ago, Rigga said:

It has no doubt been said before but the reason why Kasper will never be considered WC is because he just won’t come for setpieces... great save with the ‘starfish’ early on... to then be rooted from a set piece in his 6 yard box..

we know it’s not in his game, frustrating to watch though.

Anything in the air which is lofted in the box should be his ball, but he rarely claims those types of balls. 

32 minutes ago, Rigga said:

It has no doubt been said before but the reason why Kasper will never be considered WC is because he just won’t come for setpieces... great save with the ‘starfish’ early on... to then be rooted from a set piece in his 6 yard box..

we know it’s not in his game, frustrating to watch though.

Nah, this is the first time it's been mentioned :rolleyes:

Your comments made me think though. It's funny how expectations for goalkeepers are very different to outfield players.

Fans want their goalkeepers to have sharp reactions, intercept every high ball into the six yard area, be commanding, have great distribution (i.e. pinging 50-60 yard passes every time) with hands and feet, be quick off their lines and be great defensive organisers. Oh and also have great athleticism and positioning to cover the goal from long range shots/free kicks, i.e. they really should save any shot from beyond 20 yards out.

We don't expect our strikers to be great finishers, headers, runners, jumpers, passers, dribblers and tacklers all at once either, do we?
We never blame Vardy for not getting his head onto high crosses from Albrighton or for miscontrolling long passes or not dribbling past defenders. We tend to blame the manager or the team for not playing to his strengths.

What if we started thinking about our goalkeepers the same way?

Kasper came out of his goal for a mishit volley by Ritchie late first half today and barely got a punch on the ball only half clearing it. It's clear he's not one that jumps high or has great aerial balance, hence why we're consciously set up in a way for defenders to clear the six yard area from set pieces.

• Like 1

I'd love to see Schmeichel take on an ambassadorial role with the club when he hangs up his boots but unfortunately I think his geographical ties to the North West will ultimately prevent that happening. He speaks so passionately about the club and you can see that he says what he says with conviction. We need to keep these types of characters around club long after they retire as they'll be pivotal in not only keeping our best players but also helping to bring others in through the door. 

5 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

I'd love to see Schmeichel take on an ambassadorial role with the club when he hangs up his boots but unfortunately I think his geographical ties to the North West will ultimately prevent that happening. He speaks so passionately about the club and you can see that he says what he says with conviction. We need to keep these types of characters around club long after they retire as they'll be pivotal in not only keeping our best players but also helping to bring others in through the door. 

Pretty sure Denmark is to the Northeast *tongue in cheek*

But yeah, he has always come across passionately about the club. I feel he 'gets it' and he's obviously needed to feel wanted and part of a community. I could absolutely see him in an ambassadorial role too, but I don't think I've heard him say much about his plans beyond football. Quite surprising given his advanced footballing age.

20 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

It  should be a priority within the club to keep Schmeichel involved in a very meaningful way after his playing days end. Apart from his genuine love for the club and his owners, he has an incredibly mature personality.  I see him being able to be involved in almost any capacity.  Obviously, his ability to speak so well makes him ideal in an ambassadorial capacity, but that might remove him from a role where he could make a more telling impact in a more direct footballing capacity.  Could you imagine that he wouldn't make a great coach or manager, for example, or a director of football?  He has such a wide view of life and football, seems to know what makes people tick, is a good communicator etc etc.

I think his love of the club, and his principled views and lifestyle, make him someone who would be able to take forward the ethics that our owners have brought to the club, so that it will continue to be a club that we will be proud to support.

Ederson could have 10 attempts at saving both of those shots and wouldn't save 1. He'd fall to the floor, ball goes in and commentators would call them unstoppable.

Show me one amazing save from Ederson. I don't think I've ever seen him make one.

Goalkeepers, true goalkeepers who can save a shot, can win you trophies.

Two world class saves there. A dying art.

• Like 1