Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

16 hours ago, StanSP said:

Love his crossing ability. If we had more of a target man, bigger centre-forward then we'd have bagged for sure. He's got a great left peg to whip the balls in. Needs to work on his defensive positioning but he's already shown his versatility as a left-back or left wing-back and he's done fairly well, considering how he got thrown in earlier in summer. Really excited to see how he progresses, even if it's with us or a loan move to Championship (I think he'd be fine at that level, no lower). KDH is doing well with Luton, reckon Thomas could do better.

Don't think he should be loaned out. With all the injuries we have to our back line, we should keep him. He has a lot to learn but he is doing well enough to play at PL level IMO. 

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

Knows how to whip a ball in that's for sure. Much more dangerous in that respect than Chilwell ever was.

Complete myth. Chillwell's set piece delivery in particular is one of his strengths. 

• Like 1

Just now, baldeagle said:

Delivering a set piece is completely different to whipping a ball in when running 

Absolutely, but I would contend - and have done previously - that contrary to beliefs on this forum, Chillwell was in fact capable of both. His decision making in the final third was more the issue. You may disagree which is entirely your prerogative. Chillwell is very potent in terms of his dead ball delivery and he usually finds his man, with pace on the ball. He can also "whip in a cross" in open play. 

I agree, Luke Thomas's ability to cross looks very encouraging - exactly what you need from a modern FB. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Absolutely, but I would contend - and have done previously - that contrary to beliefs on this forum, Chillwell was in fact capable of both. His decision making in the final third was more the issue. You may disagree which is entirely your prerogative. Chillwell is very potent in terms of his dead ball delivery and he usually finds his man, with pace on the ball. He can also "whip in a cross" in open play. 

I agree, Luke Thomas's ability to cross looks very encouraging - exactly what you need from a modern FB. 

All I can remember from Chilwell’s  passing from the last few months with us was him either over hitting them , not beating  his man and firing it into them or passing back . Not saying he never whipped one in but they were few and far between .  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

A goal and 2 assists from him so far, looking more comfortable defensively and ticking along nicely. Very little hype about him which probably suits, far more effective than a previous 19 year old academy left back was at the same age in our first team which bodes well. 

It’s tough on him though. If Ricardo and Castagne are the first choice full backs and Justin who can play both sides is their cover... it leaves him kinda having to snatch opportunities going forward. Great if your Brendan Rodgers but harsh if you are Thomas I guess...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick said:

It’s tough on him though. If Ricardo and Castagne are the first choice full backs and Justin who can play both sides is their cover... it leaves him kinda having to snatch opportunities going forward. Great if your Brendan Rodgers but harsh if you are Thomas I guess...

Seems that way on paper but I think Ricardo will be the one asset sold this summer and Castagne will be moved to right back and then Thomas has every chance of becoming the first choice left back. He's still only 19 and I don't think he needs a loan spell either, already performing more than well enough for us and will still get more chances this season.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Seems that way on paper but I think Ricardo will be the one asset sold this summer and Castagne will be moved to right back and then Thomas has every chance of becoming the first choice left back. He's still only 19 and I don't think he needs a loan spell either, already performing more than well enough for us and will still get more chances this season.

I thought that until Covid- now I’m uncertain if we’ll get the money we would want to be prepared to sell Ricardo. I mean, we’d want 50 plus, right?

On 04/12/2020 at 08:54, Lambert09 said:

I know he’s getting some good minutes at the moment but if Timmy and Ricardo are fit by Jan I’d live for him to go out on loan for some consistent game time 

We still need cover for players as we have seen this season. Timmy or Ricky get hurt again then where are we ?

36 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My crystal ball came up with the same prediction. Just hope we get to see Ricky and Timmy in the same team for at least half a season.

On 03/12/2020 at 23:40, StanSP said:

Really excited to see how he progresses, even if it's with us or a loan move to Championship (I think he'd be fine at that level, no lower). KDH is doing well with Luton, reckon Thomas could do better.

Well past the loan out stage now, he will get his chances here, and have a regular spot in 18 months .

The coaches and manager will have a schedule and plan for the lad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

A bit off course but meant just as a matter of interest because some players attract adverse publicity whereas most go under the radar and just get on with it. 

My son knows Luke from school as many kids did. He's a very well grounded and decent lad, he and his family being Leicester City through and through. Not in the slightest way pretentious, he maintains old school friendships and drinks in his local pub with his friends still but, usually soft drinks only as he takes his career and training very very seriously and is seemingly so appreciative of the position he finds himself in. His close friends keep him grounded also as none of them try and bask in any glory and they all maintain the same sense of humour and continually take the Micky out of him and each other as if nothings changed. He's not flash in any way and only talks about 'work' if specifically asked. On one occasion he did comment that after the Tottenham match he slept for a whole day, such had been the pressure for him, both physically and mentally, of being promoted into the first team and suddenly seeing the likes of Kane and Son coming at him! He just hadn't wanted to let himself or anyone else down. Concentration and initial nerves are a big issue in young players I would imagine and it's easy to forget at times as we perhaps forget the human side and just see the commodity, I'm guilty of it too.

It's fantastic to see 'one of our own' cutting his teeth and improving so quickly but as youngsters, I think we have to remember and cut them a bit more slack at times. I personally used to cringe at some of the flack Chilwell used to get when he first burst onto the scene and we have to remember both their level and that of the experienced international level players as a defenders they're suddenly pit against.

All our Academy players used to go to the same school together (Vichai's idea I believe but not sure) and all are just normal kids, but talented, with varying coping mechanisms. As a very young man Luke is already a good ambassador for our club and coming on really well.

We're not a club that are able to splash multimillions to buy ready made players and actually, just personally, I'm quite comfortable with that as I find it far more exciting and gratifying seeing our young prospects coming through. Likewise I'm still happy to see Ben Chilwell doing well at Chelsea and hopefully England. Let's wish this young lad well and just enjoy his journey. 

Fantastic contribution and thanks for the insight.  I am so impressed by the way Thomas goes about his job on the pitch, does everything with the least fuss. His passing is a joy to me; so accurate even when under pressure, his awareness of everything around him, everything really.  To lose someone of Chilwell's potential and to have someone in the wings with Thomas's ability to step up is amazing.  One question - how good is his right peg - I can't say I've noticed him using it much so far? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1