Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

A bit off course but meant just as a matter of interest because some players attract adverse publicity whereas most go under the radar and just get on with it. 

My son knows Luke from school as many kids did. He's a very well grounded and decent lad, he and his family being Leicester City through and through. Not in the slightest way pretentious, he maintains old school friendships and drinks in his local pub with his friends still but, usually soft drinks only as he takes his career and training very very seriously and is seemingly so appreciative of the position he finds himself in. His close friends keep him grounded also as none of them try and bask in any glory and they all maintain the same sense of humour and continually take the Micky out of him and each other as if nothings changed. He's not flash in any way and only talks about 'work' if specifically asked. On one occasion he did comment that after the Tottenham match he slept for a whole day, such had been the pressure for him, both physically and mentally, of being promoted into the first team and suddenly seeing the likes of Kane and Son coming at him! He just hadn't wanted to let himself or anyone else down. Concentration and initial nerves are a big issue in young players I would imagine and it's easy to forget at times as we perhaps forget the human side and just see the commodity, I'm guilty of it too.

It's fantastic to see 'one of our own' cutting his teeth and improving so quickly but as youngsters, I think we have to remember and cut them a bit more slack at times. I personally used to cringe at some of the flack Chilwell used to get when he first burst onto the scene and we have to remember both their level and that of the experienced international level players as a defenders they're suddenly pit against.

All our Academy players used to go to the same school together (Vichai's idea I believe but not sure) and all are just normal kids, but talented, with varying coping mechanisms. As a very young man Luke is already a good ambassador for our club and coming on really well.

We're not a club that are able to splash multimillions to buy ready made players and actually, just personally, I'm quite comfortable with that as I find it far more exciting and gratifying seeing our young prospects coming through. Likewise I'm still happy to see Ben Chilwell doing well at Chelsea and hopefully England. Let's wish this young lad well and just enjoy his journey. 

That is good to hear, having good mates to keep your feet on the ground is so important in the insane world that is football.  How many kids have we seen lose it all due to the wrong people around them?

Yes we must give him slack - he looks the real deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

A bit off course but meant just as a matter of interest because some players attract adverse publicity whereas most go under the radar and just get on with it. 

My son knows Luke from school as many kids did. He's a very well grounded and decent lad, he and his family being Leicester City through and through. Not in the slightest way pretentious, he maintains old school friendships and drinks in his local pub with his friends still but, usually soft drinks only as he takes his career and training very very seriously and is seemingly so appreciative of the position he finds himself in. His close friends keep him grounded also as none of them try and bask in any glory and they all maintain the same sense of humour and continually take the Micky out of him and each other as if nothings changed. He's not flash in any way and only talks about 'work' if specifically asked. On one occasion he did comment that after the Tottenham match he slept for a whole day, such had been the pressure for him, both physically and mentally, of being promoted into the first team and suddenly seeing the likes of Kane and Son coming at him! He just hadn't wanted to let himself or anyone else down. Concentration and initial nerves are a big issue in young players I would imagine and it's easy to forget at times as we perhaps forget the human side and just see the commodity, I'm guilty of it too.

It's fantastic to see 'one of our own' cutting his teeth and improving so quickly but as youngsters, I think we have to remember and cut them a bit more slack at times. I personally used to cringe at some of the flack Chilwell used to get when he first burst onto the scene and we have to remember both their level and that of the experienced international level players as a defenders they're suddenly pit against.

All our Academy players used to go to the same school together (Vichai's idea I believe but not sure) and all are just normal kids, but talented, with varying coping mechanisms. As a very young man Luke is already a good ambassador for our club and coming on really well.

We're not a club that are able to splash multimillions to buy ready made players and actually, just personally, I'm quite comfortable with that as I find it far more exciting and gratifying seeing our young prospects coming through. Likewise I'm still happy to see Ben Chilwell doing well at Chelsea and hopefully England. Let's wish this young lad well and just enjoy his journey. 

Love this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

Fantastic contribution and thanks for the insight.  I am so impressed by the way Thomas goes about his job on the pitch, does everything with the least fuss. His passing is a joy to me; so accurate even when under pressure, his awareness of everything around him, everything really.  To lose someone of Chilwell's potential and to have someone in the wings with Thomas's ability to step up is amazing.  One question - how good is his right peg - I can't say I've noticed him using it much so far? 

I couldn't really answer that, I've never met him personally and only see what we all see. I just get bits second hand off my son.

It was quite enlightening sometimes a few years ago when they were all at school together. Kids being kids used to gossip about things that used to happen down the training ground without realising the potential  ramifications. Little things like their interactions with the first team squad, who they liked and who they thought were 'nob heads' in their eyes, they probably weren't at all, just how kids saw them at a certain age.

Andy King used to be one of their favourites because he always took time out to speak to them individually and ask what they were currently doing and how they were. They liked Shinji also because he was always happy and smiling, spoke to them, but unfortunately couldn't understand what he was saying much of the time 🤣. Marhez they said was always late, lazy, miserable and was always looking round and not listening when Ranieri was trying to tell them things there whereas Huth and Fuchs were always playing jokes on everyone, seemed to be big buddies, but always listened intently to Ranieri and worked hard after the jokes. Weslowski lived in the gym 🤣. They'd open the door for Vardy but if he got there first, he used to let it go and swing towards them and laugh, they couldn't quite make out whether he was being nasty or just joking, after days of discussion, they decided on the latter 🤣. All just tittle tattle but quite funny at times.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I couldn't really answer that, I've never met him personally and only see what we all see. I just get bits second hand off my son.

It was quite enlightening sometimes a few years ago when they were all at school together. Kids being kids used to gossip about things that used to happen down the training ground without realising the potential  ramifications. Little things like their interactions with the first team squad, who they liked and who they thought were 'nob heads' in their eyes, they probably weren't at all, just how kids saw them at a certain age.

Andy King used to be one of their favourites because he always took time out to speak to them individually and ask what they were currently doing and how they were. They liked Shinji also because he was always happy and smiling, spoke to them, but unfortunately couldn't understand what he was saying much of the time 🤣. Marhez they said was always late, lazy, miserable and was always looking round and not listening when Ranieri was trying to tell them things there whereas Huth and Fuchs were always playing jokes on everyone, seemed to be big buddies, but always listened intently to Ranieri and worked hard after the jokes. Weslowski lived in the gym 🤣. They'd open the door for Vardy but if he got there first, he used to let it go and swing towards them and laugh, they couldn't quite make out whether he was being nasty or just joking, after days of discussion, they decided on the latter 🤣. All just tittle tattle but quite funny at times.

Thanks again.  Great to get these little insights.  One of the good things you get from being an avid supporter is the feeling of closeness you can feel with the players during times when the club and squad seems well bonded (we've had good and bad periods over the years in that respect), so it's good to get these little snippets that allow you an angle on the character of the players.  It's hardly surprising in these times, but a shame, that the club keep all these things a bit distant from the fans.

• Like 1

Chilly was a solid LB but prone to at least 1 if not 2 brain farts per game. Whereas Luke definitely seems to have better sustained focus, better final ball, better defensively IMO - However not quite the same threat going forward. I will add there were times when Chillwell wouldn't run beyond the halfway line and constantly passed back - Not his best games.

Edited by bfox

27 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Thanks again.  Great to get these little insights.  One of the good things you get from being an avid supporter is the feeling of closeness you can feel with the players during times when the club and squad seems well bonded (we've had good and bad periods over the years in that respect), so it's good to get these little snippets that allow you an angle on the character of the players.  It's hardly surprising in these times, but a shame, that the club keep all these things a bit distant from the fans.

Absolutely agree because we as supporters like know little bits about our players don't we. I've only been to the training ground once several years ago in a professional capacity and it was a positive experience and they had no idea of course that I was a season ticket holder and I had to hide my enthusiasm and stop my jaw from gaping open like a big kid. I had breakfast in the canteen where all the players were and you see the different groups/relationships etc. The first thing that struck me was how small and thin most of them were, with the odd exception like Harry Maguire, although when you get close up to Wez, however big or bulky he may look on the TV,  there wasn't a scrap of fat on him, don't quite know what I'd expected. I had to speak to Vardy momentarily and he came over as an unpretentious well mannered individual. In fact when I had to be in a room with them all again later they appeared a very happy bunch with no edge to any of them and you could sense a togetherness and team spirit.

• Like 1

I liked Chilwell and it was great to see an academy prospect develop, albeit painfully, in the first team and eventually make it to the England squad. But I’m happy Chilwell’s gone now. 

Chilwell absolutely would not work with Barnes, either through selfishness or pain spite, their mutual dislike fairly well know. It’s great to see Thomas and Barnes—not only local but through the same academy—having such a great connection.

if Ricardo goes next season (with his contract up in a couple of years I think), I’d expect Thomas and Barnes on one wing, and Castange and Under on the other. Obviously Thomas was only playing AEK but it’s looking promising.

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I liked Chilwell and it was great to see an academy prospect develop, albeit painfully, in the first team and eventually make it to the England squad. But I’m happy Chilwell’s gone now. 

Chilwell absolutely would not work with Barnes, either through selfishness or pain spite, their mutual dislike fairly well know. It’s great to see Thomas and Barnes—not only local but through the same academy—having such a great connection.

if Ricardo goes next season (with his contract up in a couple of years I think), I’d expect Thomas and Barnes on one wing, and Castange and Under on the other. Obviously Thomas was only playing AEK but it’s looking promising.

I don’t now if they didn’t get on but they definitely never linked up like the two last night . Well not from what I can remember 

49 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Did they dislike each other? Always thought it looked obvious they did, chilwell always seemed a bit distant from the academy lads and closer to the English boys.

29 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Someone vaguely itk mentioned it a while back.

Ah yes, someone 'vaguely' itk mentions it, which makes it 'fairly well known'. Taking a dubious source and making a generalizing statement :facepalm:

You must have something against Chilwell to so easily accept that as your truth.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, shen said:

Ah yes, someone 'vaguely' itk mentions it, which makes it 'fairly well known'. Taking a dubious source and making a generalizing statement :facepalm:

You must have something against Chilwell to so easily accept that as your truth.

Mindless conjecture on a football forum. It’s the world—gone mad. Also, as Abrasive mentioned, you could notice it on the pitch.

1 hour ago, shen said:

To be fair there had been more than a few rumours about him one being a fall out with Gray another of him being arrogant and not well liked to name a few . Add to this when he left to Chelsea something I thought was quite telling was he posted on his Instagram story all the congratulations he’d  got. They were nearly all from players and people at different clubs bar  one Leicester player which was from  Maddison not another single Leicester player . . Now they might have wished him good luck privately but it just stuck out . Now all this could be a crock of shit but it’s a football forum plus there is  a saying  there is often no smoke without fire .  

Edited by baldeagle

Fair play to Rodgers on this- he threw him in to a difficult situation against Sheffield United where he performed superbly. A couple of errors against Tottenham but Rodgers didn't panic, kept him around and has continued to play him when required. He's improving a lot. As has been noted, Barnes seems to enjoy playing in front of him and they seem to be working in tandem efficiently.

The senior players look to be big admirers too- the likes of Evans and Fuchs don't mind giving him responsibility.

4 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

He looked quicker weirdly enough last night!

his passing is fantastic, could make a decent CM if he develops right

I know even as type this it isn't gonna sound right, but when Thomas hits or passes the ball he does with conviction. its hard to explain after a a couple of Henry Westons, but you can always see what he's trying to do.

11 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

He looked quicker weirdly enough last night!

his passing is fantastic, could make a decent CM if he develops right

Shhh you can’t say that I got shot down in flames when I said hopefully he’ll be able to speed up a bit like Barnes  had . Yep definitely looked a shade quicker 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

I know even as type this it isn't gonna sound right, but when Thomas hits or passes the ball he does with conviction. its hard to explain after a a couple of Henry Westons, but you can always see what he's trying to do.

He makes the time to actually look up, there is a purpose behind each pass. It’s not something you can really teach it’s just his ability. A few fullbacks have that ability and can usually slot in numerous other positions. He’s a very very interesting prospect.

• Like 1

Thomas has a long way to go.  He is moving towards it very well.

Scoring and creating chances I like.  Looking weak under a high ball I like less.

I liked Chilwell.  I don't now he plays for Chelsea.  Chilwell had weaknesses.  Thomas should aspire to go beyond the 2015-16 version of Fuchs; that season saw Leicester's best left back performance in living memory.  It is possible Thomas could get there. 

• Like 2