Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, UHDrive said:

You cant. It's all about your muscle twitch fibres and how responsive they are. It's why ethnic athletes like bolt are prime examples because it is in their dna to twitch those muscle fibres faster. This is no different to football players no matter the ethnicity. 

 

You can train all you want (which thomas has had a considerable amount of) and he has another year or 2 of physical maturity. However given that he must already be not far from maxed out training wise and speed wise with the help of the club then it's highly unlikely he will miraculously get faster.

I don't want to derail the topic too much but this is a false stereotype. There are plenty of other factors at play. In fact:

 

- If genetics for propensity of fast-twitch muscle fibres were the only factor, you'd expect there to be five white elite sprinters for every six black elite sprinters. Take into account that there are plenty of other power sports dominated by white athletes: wrestling, weight-lifting, tennis, squash, etc.

 

- Also, African American and Jamaican sprinters are way over-represented. But, as the majority would be descendent of West African slaves, you'd expect there to be a lot more elite sprinters actually from West Africa if genetics were the only factor. In fact, there have only 5 Olympic 100m sprint finalists from all of Africa since the starting pistol fired in the 1980 men's final. That's the same as the number of white men. And only one time logged by a black African in those finals was sub 10 seconds, again the same as recorded by white finalists. Slavery also imported millions of West African people to South America yet not one South American of any ethnicity has competed in an Olympic 100m final.

 

Those nuggets are from the book 'How to Argue With  Racist' by the geneticist Adam Rutherford.

 

I don't mean to call you out specifically as that conclusion is easy to make at face value and doesn't in any way mean I'm calling you (or anyone else who believes it) a racist. I'm not. But that book really did open my eyes and I encourage anyone to read it. It's also very short and very easy reading for such complex subject matter.

 

As for Luke Thomas, I think he needs to become stronger and better at carrying the ball to become comparable to Chilwell. His delivery and decision making are excellent already and he's clearly not afraid to get into advanced positions. The signs look good but let's not expect too much too soon.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I don't want to derail the topic too much but this is a false stereotype. There are plenty of other factors at play. In fact:

 

- If genetics for propensity of fast-twitch muscle fibres were the only factor, you'd expect there to be five white elite sprinters for every six black elite sprinters. Take into account that there are plenty of other power sports dominated by white athletes: wrestling, weight-lifting, tennis, squash, etc.

 

- Also, African American and Jamaican sprinters are way over-represented. But, as the majority would be descendent of West African slaves, you'd expect there to be a lot more elite sprinters actually from West Africa if genetics were the only factor. In fact, there have only 5 Olympic 100m sprint finalists from all of Africa since the starting pistol fired in the 1980 men's final. That's the same as the number of white men. And only one time logged by a black African in those finals was sub 10 seconds, again the same as recorded by white finalists. Slavery also imported millions of West African people to South America yet not one South American of any ethnicity has competed in an Olympic 100m final.

 

Those nuggets are from the book 'How to Argue With  Racist' by the geneticist Adam Rutherford.

 

I don't mean to call you out specifically as that conclusion is easy to make at face value and doesn't in any way mean I'm calling you (or anyone else who believes it) a racist. I'm not. But that book really did open my eyes and I encourage anyone to read it. It's also very short and very easy reading for such complex subject matter.

 

As for Luke Thomas, I think he needs to become stronger and better at carrying the ball to become comparable to Chilwell. His delivery and decision making are excellent already and he's clearly not afraid to get into advanced positions. The signs look good but let's not expect too much too soon.

I'm not sure what you mean with that. I am going from science not theory (depending what ethnicity you are I.e Bolt which I mentioned). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, twister said:

Spot on with this I  wasn't as good as you defiantly not a  international; standard 1500m like you, I was a county standard runner who ran at national level. But even from that level you don't increase you speeds massivly, by the time you reach 18 its there or it isn't. you get stronger. say you run a 4 10 at 1500 you can get that down with strength work, but your not going to gain natural speed.

 

Mo farah ran like bambi at 15 trust me, you either have it most of the time or you don't.

I'm friends with Mo through a load of mates who were part of the World X-Country team with him in the early 200's.   I actually beat him in a sprint once - which was hilarious for everyone to see. 

 

for people at an international standard, especially long distance running, it comes down to the bodies ability to cope with the training levels required and avoid injury. 

 

My best mate beat Mo 3 years in a row at the National Cross Country Championships, but when he had to up his training miles from 60-70 miles per week to 120 miles per week, his bio-mechanics broke down and he just couldn't handle the extra load. this is a guy who is still in the Top 10 of all time for Half Marathons run by a British Athlete, but he just couldn't make that next step due to injuries.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

I'm not sure what you mean with that. I am going from science not theory (depending what ethnicity you are I.e Bolt which I mentioned). 

Basically the point was that the science proves that ethnicity doesn't play as big a part as it may seem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Probably the least hyped youngster we've had come through and make 5-10 appearances, quite unusual. Barely any social media accounts like Rising Ballers etc picking up on him either, hopefully that further adds to his solid and unassuming development. Seems the sort of player that will be ignored and then everyone on the outside will wonder where he came from and how he's suddenly so good.

 

Consider the hype around Chilwell at the same age and Thomas is already providing goals and assists and it's a great start for him.

He’s been under 17/19 England captain. Surely he’s known. Also, I think he’s the youngest to come through our ranks (albeit due to injury), and first without going on loan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kingfox said:

I was lucky to grow up in the era of Roberto Carlos, but I think it’s fair to say Luke Thomas is the best left-back I’ve ever seen.

I presume that you never saw David Nish when he played for City?  Sold to Derby County when Brian Clough was their manager, he bought the best full back in England.

I do agree with you that young Thomas is going to be a great asset to City.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

He’s been under 17/19 England captain. Surely he’s known. Also, I think he’s the youngest to come through our ranks (albeit due to injury), and first without going on loan.

Yeah you'd think so, but there's not been much guff said about him like what tends to happen with young players coming through, especially captains of England youth sides to boot.

 

Think we've got a real star on our hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluebeau said:

I presume that you never saw David Nish when he played for City?  Sold to Derby County when Brian Clough was their manager, he bought the best full back in England.

I do agree with you that young Thomas is going to be a great asset to City.

Well I’m 27, so no lol 

 

Fun fact though, I have met him when he was a Postman for my area a good few years back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kingfox said:

I was lucky to grow up in the era of Roberto Carlos, but I think it’s fair to say Luke Thomas is the best left-back I’ve ever seen.

You clearly never saw Michael Ball play for us. He was a proper baller 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Probably the least hyped youngster we've had come through and make 5-10 appearances, quite unusual. Barely any social media accounts like Rising Ballers etc picking up on him either, hopefully that further adds to his solid and unassuming development. Seems the sort of player that will be ignored and then everyone on the outside will wonder where he came from and how he's suddenly so good.

 

Consider the hype around Chilwell at the same age and Thomas is already providing goals and assists and it's a great start for him.

Were he in the Chelsea academy, he would be on the verge of his hundredth cap.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thomas is inconsistent currently.  I think Rodgers is handling him well.  Hooking him at half-time v Wolves when he was struggling was justified.  Bringing him back in Europe was supportive of an emerging talent.

 

In 18 months, we might have a hell of a player on our hands.  Every day, he trains with some of the best players that have been at the club in the last five decades at least.  He has Toure as a coach, Fuchs as a potential mentor.  I think it is down to psychology:  if he has the confidence to back himself and adapt his skill set , he will be brilliant.  I have seen brilliant moments and moments of self doubt.

 

Fuchs is the best left back I have seen at Leicester.  I liked Chilwell, I liked Rofe.  Fuchs plays to his strengths.  Psychologically, he appears to be nails.  If Thomas gets his head straight, he will exceed Chilwell and possibly Fuchs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Thoughts on him again tonight? Best player for us 2nd half IMO.

First time we've seen him in a back 4 outside of preseason and he looked as good as always, wasnt much action down his side so wasnt tested much defensively outside of their goal but i still dont think he's as good defensively yet as we need for him to be pushing for a starting spot just yet, with our high turnover of players i can see him getting the starting LB spot in 2-3 years though, i also think he has a higher potential at LB than JJ.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2020 at 07:38, bluebeau said:

I presume that you never saw David Nish when he played for City?  Sold to Derby County when Brian Clough was their manager, he bought the best full back in England.

I do agree with you that young Thomas is going to be a great asset to City.

Thanks for the memory . David Nish was awesome.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Thoughts on him again tonight? Best player for us 2nd half IMO.

Love his crossing ability. If we had more of a target man, bigger centre-forward then we'd have bagged for sure. He's got a great left peg to whip the balls in. Needs to work on his defensive positioning but he's already shown his versatility as a left-back or left wing-back and he's done fairly well, considering how he got thrown in earlier in summer. Really excited to see how he progresses, even if it's with us or a loan move to Championship (I think he'd be fine at that level, no lower). KDH is doing well with Luton, reckon Thomas could do better.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...