Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Five at the back

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...thought that happened when Soyűncű had come back earlier in the season!!!

If Perez is fit,  then he goes into the hole behind the strikers but Tavares would be the next alternative,..... round peg in round holes.

I think Perez would completely disappear and be totally redundant and surplus there. As people have said before he only really seams to have one viable position ie behind Vardy but, would we really want to oust Iheanacho who's scoring and contribution has been so necessary over the last few games? Prior to Iheanacho's current form and in the current injury circumstances I would have said that Perez was a shoe in but not now. 

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think Perez would completely disappear and be totally redundant and surplus there. As people have said before he only really seams to have one viable position ie behind Vardy but, would we really want to oust Iheanacho who's scoring and contribution has been so necessary over the last few games? Prior to Iheanacho's current form and in the current injury circumstances I would have said that Perez was a shoe in but not now. 

...in a situation without Barnes and any viable creativity except from Youri,  Perez in the #10 role becomes our only option in view of experience on the pitch. 

His quick feet and link up play works in that situation and his strength on the ball is not so noticeable. 

6 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Have we ever had Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana on the pitch at the same time? I'm not the biggest fan of the back 3/5 but at the same time it is a way to make sure our best players aren't languishing away on the bench.

Schmeichel

Ricardo, Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu, Castagne 

Ndidi - Tielemans 

????

Ihenacho - Vardy

My guess is that's the team and formation until we have Maddison and/or Barnes back. Perez to start at 10 with Tavares subbing on later, unless we need to protect a lead when Mendy or Choudhury come on.  

19 hours ago, filbertway said:

It's clear that it doesn't work when we have the majority of the ball. We insist on playing a dangerous game with the ball and there's massive gaps left because the 2 wider cbs almost hug the touchline. Teams shouldn't be able to pass right through the middle of 3 centre backs. Ricardo and Castagne were just stuck in no mans land and it was absolutely horrific. We know how to play with a back 4. I'd play 4 4 2 against Sheff United

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Soy

Fofana

Thomas

Albrighton

Tielemans

Ndidi

Castagne

Iheanacho

Vardy

Yeah, you highlighted the issue well. Having 3 CBs appear to be more defensive but in fact we don’t know how to play this yet and Brighton were going through the middle for fun while Ricardo and Castagne were caught without the ball much further up. Second half they played better when they dropped back a bit but it means we really have 5 and we lack some width when we attack. Castagne also did not appear comfortable. I like your suggestion better. I still think Castagne plays better on the right so I prefer him to play right wing and have Albrighton on the left.

Edited by Tom12345

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...in a situation without Barnes and any viable creativity except from Youri,  Perez in the #10 role becomes our only option in view of experience on the pitch. 

His quick feet and link up play works in that situation and his strength on the ball is not so noticeable. 

But would you leave Iheanacho out for him? What a risk to replace our current best scorer as Barnes and Maddison are out. It doesn't matter how quick his feet are or how stylistic or strong he is, can he put the ball in the net? Iheanacho's goals have been a right mixture and few have been easy tap ins but, even if he'd just been in the right place at the right time and the ball kept banjoing in off his arse, then he's the man for me. Even if Perez was an exceptional link, Vardy isn't scoring anyway. I agree that it is Perez's best position, but only because he's pretty damn poor at the others, he's not exceptional there, just mediocre. No need to change a current winning formula for an experiment. It's more of a worry perhaps who the players should be behind Vardy and Iheanacho for me. Just my opinion and certainly no disrespect to yours. 

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I suspect so, plus right now we're struggling in the 'creative attacking mid' department.

Rather than being Rodger's stubbornness, I think the late formation change is a deliberate strategy.

We're the best team for late goals and wins. Rope-a-dope. A late sucker-punch.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

But would you leave Iheanacho out for him? What a risk to replace our current best scorer as Barnes and Maddison are out. It doesn't matter how quick his feet are or how stylistic or strong he is, can he put the ball in the net? Iheanacho's goals have been a right mixture and few have been easy tap ins but, even if he'd just been in the right place at the right time and the ball kept banjoing in off his arse, then he's the man for me. Even if Perez was an exceptional link, Vardy isn't scoring anyway. I agree that it is Perez's best position, but only because he's pretty damn poor at the others, he's not exceptional there, just mediocre. No need to change a current winning formula for an experiment. It's more of a worry perhaps who the players should be behind Vardy and Iheanacho for me. Just my opinion and certainly no disrespect to yours. 

....not too sure we are not at cross purposes here!!!

My initial comment was to the team posted by @Detroit Blues who had question marks as who was to play in the #10 position. I suggested Perez if fit or Tavares who would be a round peg in a round hole. The team consisted of Nacho and Vardy upfront and I was not in anyway suggesting we were to leave him out. If you wish to review the team sheet for @Detroit Bluesit is on page 4 of this topic.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, ToeKneeHandCock said:

How do we go with a four with no fit wingers? 

Ricardo and Castagne with Perez right and Albrighton left cutting inside ahead of them to allow full backs to overlap would have been better.

If we get to the cup final and repeat this it’ll be horrible.

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

Ricardo and Castagne with Perez right and Albrighton left cutting inside ahead of them to allow full backs to overlap would have been better.

If we get to the cup final and repeat this it’ll be horrible.

That only works if Maddison and Ricardo both start. Neither were seemingly fit enough to do so

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It will be v interesting to see if we persist with it next weekend .......we know that we won’t have cags available so choosing to play it with DA will tell you a lot about Brendan’s feelings  ..... today wasn’t a good indicator 

With it being West Ham I think we'll stick with current formation. West Ham are very set piece and balls into the box focused and I think Rodgers will think Amartey will help.

It only works when we are against a team with such a weak midfield that Youri and Wilf can boss despite being 2 v 3.

Against anyone competent it’s a car crash and makes teams press us high up and we have no out ball. Nacho and Vards are so far away and we can’t break the lines.

With no Antonio or Rice today theres absolutey no excuse to give away the goals we did and be so passive.

I sympathise with BR a bit not having Barnes Madders and Perez as options but they didn’t have arguably there 2 best players. We should never ever play 5 atb again against any team with a decent midfield. We need bodies going forward.

We camped them in and the again and showed how weak they are. BR played right into Lingard Fonels and Bowen’s hands it was embarrassing.

How Long until Barnes is back as not heard any recent updates from BR? Until then the wide options to go back to 4 1 4 1 would be Albrighton LW and Ricardo RW, with Thomas coming in at LB and Castagne RB. Then there's the choice of who to play as the solo striker

It's mostly worked no? Bar man City who were always going to beat us, it was looking good. It kept Kel in the team and accommodated for the loss of Barnes. It didn't work today but with Soyuncu back soon, I'd stick with it, at least until Harvey is back.