Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Premier League’s so-called ‘Big Six’ could become part of a new-look Champions League.

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Thought people backed this considering the amount of times I see "I don't want them doing a Leicester" on here.

Big up the "lesser" clubs and I can't believe the likes of Everton fall into the category considering they've won more top flights than Chelsea/Man City/Spurs.

This season has been good because of the variety of sides doing well so far. If we weren't to win it then I'd be behind a side like Southampton winning it.

I think you’re viewing this wrong. It’s more because these clubs are our direct rivals. Whilst we are competing with the top 6 in football terms we are way behind financially due to the commercial side of things. So our long term success depends on being the ‘best of the rest’

If there were lengths between us and it came down to top 6 or Southampton of course we would route for Southampton . 

Edited by Lambert09

There should be THREE European competitions. 

1. Champions Cup.

All winners of European leagues get drawn in a knockout tie over two legs. No seeding. No qualifying. 

2. Cup winners cup. 

Same as the other competition but with the respective FA cup winners of each country. 

3. A champions league format competition that they can shoehorn 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc from the big european leagues. A meaningless money making competition.

They the big 6 primarily based on turnover, and turnover is often linked to popularity of the club, its not based on recent trophies won.

One of the reasons I have been pushing for our club to push for a turnover increase, such as new stadium capacity and fixing sponsorship deals.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, howie said:

Let’s hope we keep qualifying for Europe and become one of the top 15 in the coefficient rankings.

would anyone complain if we finished 5th and qualified for the champions league due to having a high coefficient?

Yes, anti-competitive bullshit. You should get there on merit or not at all.

I already hate modern football and don't put a penny into it, this would be the death knell.

• Like 3

Big club managers- "We play too much football"

Big club executives- "We'd be delighted to play more football"

No surprise this comes up when Man United **** off out of the Champions League and Arsenal languish in the bottom six. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Yes, anti-competitive bullshit. You should get there on merit or not at all.

I already hate modern football and don't put a penny into it, this would be the death knell.

It would be on merit. If we get a top 15 coefficient it means we would have performed well in Europe over a 5 year period.

If in future we qualified for the champions league based on coefficient, it wouldn’t be an English club whose place we would be taking as the top 4 would still qualify. It would likely be at the expense of a team from a smaller league

58 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Thought people backed this considering the amount of times I see "I don't want them doing a Leicester" on here.

Big up the "lesser" clubs and I can't believe the likes of Everton fall into the category considering they've won more top flights than Chelsea/Man City/Spurs.

This season has been good because of the variety of sides doing well so far. If we weren't to win it then I'd be behind a side like Southampton winning it.

There's a big difference between wanting something not to happen, and fixing it so it can't happen.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, howie said:

Let’s hope we keep qualifying for Europe and become one of the top 15 in the coefficient rankings.

would anyone complain if we finished 5th and qualified for the champions league due to having a high coefficient?

I wouldn't complain, I'd just stop following the sport entirely. I wouldn't like it even if we regularly qualified. It would be the final straw for me. It's unfair as it is, but this is something else. This is crossing a line. They might as well just declare those 6 clubs the winners every year and state that it will never change.

I don't see anything wrong with getting the big clubs playing each other more from a business/financial perspective. i can also understand why consistent performers in each league would want such secuirty. 

However, if you take a team like Arsenal, they do not have a squad or even a team good enough to compete at UCL level. They are not one of the clear favourites to win the UEL. By guaranteeing a substandard squad, ran by seasoned failures, you are not going to enhance the product that brings in billions. I mean, I'd rather watch a "smaller" club like Atlanta play say Real Madrid because there will be a game. If a team like Bayern play Arsenal it would be an antihalation. This is the problem of guaranteeing qualification for clubs who from top to bottom have failed (strictly on the footballing side). You lower the level of the very appealing competition to the neutral. 

Its a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, Danizen said:

Let them piss off to their 'super league'. 

We'd have a good chance of competing for trophies year in, year out with a hugely competitive top flight league and we'd get to watch the charlatans Arsenal and Man U getting dicked every week. 

Revenues would go through a big correction period but in the end, we'd be in a better position overall.

But what would those trophies be worth?  

Anything won after the 'big six' have left would be tin pot.  Imagine a league with a final day title decider between Crystal Palace and Everton for instance. 

And how can the status of this big six be forever preserved?  Apart from the unfairness of it, football is cyclical.  20 years ago Leeds could have been a big six club and Man City nowhere.  Forty Years ago, it might have been Forest.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don't see anything wrong with getting the big clubs playing each other more from a business/financial perspective. i can also understand why consistent performers in each league would want such secuirty. 

However, if you take a team like Arsenal, they do not have a squad or even a team good enough to compete at UCL level. They are not one of the clear favourites to win the UEL. By guaranteeing a substandard squad, ran by seasoned failures, you are not going to enhance the product that brings in billions. I mean, I'd rather watch a "smaller" club like Atlanta play say Real Madrid because there will be a game. If a team like Bayern play Arsenal it would be an antihalation. This is the problem of guaranteeing qualification for clubs who from top to bottom have failed (strictly on the footballing side). You lower the level of the very appealing competition to the neutral. 

Its a bad idea. 

The problem is if a euro super league was formed, arsenal's squad would improve overnight as they'd have the financial muscle to poach, say, Calvert lewin, ward prowse, soyuncu and zaha. 

And, at a stroke, the tv rights value for the PL would collapse. Bang goes our own business model. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, howie said:

It would be on merit. If we get a top 15 coefficient it means we would have performed well in Europe over a 5 year period.

If in future we qualified for the champions league based on coefficient, it wouldn’t be an English club whose place we would be taking as the top 4 would still qualify. It would likely be at the expense of a team from a smaller league

But they're making it almost impossible or at least extremely difficult to improve that coefficient.

• Like 1

How would fans on here feel if Leicester were in that Top 6? 

I think I have a good idea it wouldn't be a positive opinion, I think that's how the majority of those fans from the Top 6 feel about this too. 

Those teams would move into a model of world supporters, sure they'd have loads more money, but they'd create a bit of a hole around their local fans as their team would become an exhibition club. 

I've always been on the side that thinks it would return the competitions, we'd end up in, back to the competitiveness we actually crave. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

How would fans on here feel if Leicester were in that Top 6? 

I think I have a good idea it wouldn't be a positive opinion, I think that's how the majority of those fans from the Top 6 feel about this too. 

Those teams would move into a model of world supporters, sure they'd have loads more money, but they'd create a bit of a hole around their local fans as their team would become an exhibition club. 

I've always been on the side that thinks it would return the competitions, we'd end up in, back to the competitiveness we actually crave. 

Or, looking at it another way, as the PL rights would be nigh on worthless, we may have to form our own league to make a more sellable product and the chance to retain players.

A north European conference of say, the likes of us, saints, Everton, Newcastle plus the likes of Eindhoven, Anderlecht, Copenhagen, Rangers, Leverkusen

What a funky league that'd be.

• Like 2

How long does the coefficient go back. If it's 5 years and we get top 4 this season we are on average top 6. Doesn't make it right though that the only reason for this scheme is to make money. The premier league would disappear as the world would no longer be watching and British football would lose all of it's income. Football for the masses would be dead. Only rich executive box type people would be able to travel to the games. No away fans would make the atmosphere like the current covid games just to satisfy greedy business people who contrive to fix the teams incomes for there own selfish ways.

Football based on money not merit is dead for the very people that created it. Us.