Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Premier League’s so-called ‘Big Six’ could become part of a new-look Champions League.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:00, Carl the Llama said:

Yep, and since the PL is the only league where teams with high coefficients (which were already introduced to protect the established order) are regularly finishing outside the qualification spots it's pretty obvious what the motivation is here.

The question becomes, do the teams qualifying through high coefficients, then have increased coefficients from qualifying and progressing? 

If so the rest of us have no hope! 

5 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Goes a long way to crushing this idea if true. 

This is going to lead to a Countries Super league featuring power houses like UAE and banning annoying countries like scotland 

I can see it already 'secret meeting between Brazil, Spain, Germany, England and France discussing how a teams like Croatia and Iceland doing well in world cups is bad for the game and also the environment because iceland keep destroying bugs with their clap'

Edited by Lambert09

The threat of not playing in a world cup or the euros won't mean much to teams or their players when it comes to money. Maybe the threat of being barred from domestic competitions and having to start at the bottom of the pyramid would, which is up to the FA to introduce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

The threat of not playing in a world cup or the euros won't mean much to teams or their players when it comes to money. Maybe the threat of being barred from domestic competitions and having to start at the bottom of the pyramid would, which is up to the FA to introduce.

Also add that any player who plays must serve a 2 season ban from his last match before being allowed to play in domestic leagues again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

This is going to lead to a Countries Super league featuring power houses like UAE and banning annoying countries like scotland 

I can see it already 'secret meeting between Brazil, Spain, Germany, England and France discussing how a teams like Croatia and Iceland doing well in world cups is bad for the game and also the environment because iceland keep destroying bugs with their clap'

Bugs can catch STD's...that's worrying.

35 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Surely there would be a huge boycott if teams were in a competition not on merit but purely historical status? I know I wouldn't watch that crap, even if it meant not watching LCFC if they were in it.

This crap isn’t aimed at you, me, fans here in the UK. It’s a cynical entertainment dressed as sport farce that the global audience would lap up.

But looks like FIFA has killed it dead, so good on them (this one time)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

This crap isn’t aimed at you, me, fans here in the UK. It’s a cynical entertainment dressed as sport farce that the global audience would lap up.

But looks like FIFA has killed it dead, so good on them (this one time)

Which is why I think the ‘real’ fans of the said clubs will be against this as if it goes ahead the writing is on the wall for them and how they support their team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Which is why I think the ‘real’ fans of the said clubs will be against this as if it goes ahead the writing is on the wall for them and how they support their team.

Agree,  but I do wonder if the home fans can hold enough sway to drag the clubs eyes away from the greater riches on offer on the global market.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Agree,  but I do wonder if the home fans can hold enough sway to drag the clubs eyes away from the greater riches on offer on the global market.

It’s a good question, if they make enough noise and back each other’s supporters groups, apply pressure on the fa etc then maybe. Will the owners care? and go ahead anyway when they can fill stadiums with tourists and know many fans will eventually just suck it up. Possibly not, but liverpool did mange to get ticket prices reduced when they opened the new stand. Maybe that’s the kind of supporters some owners will be glad to get shot of.

• Like 1

This is definitely going to happen, it's not an accident the main pushers are American owned clubs (Man Utd/Liverpool), because franchising is exactly how it works over there. Can see the situation where Man Utd play 4 'home' games abroad fairly soon as well to satiate their international fan base. Unfortunately Leicester as a name or team just isn't marketable even if simplified to something plastic like the 'English Foxes'.

The net result will be a weakened English league in terms of money/quality for sure. The giant upfront payments will be enough to ensure the entrants have 2 decent squads so I don't think the Premier League will suddenly stop being dominated by the usual 6 teams, and Leicester. FIFA will back down once they get a decent enough cut from the revenue.

This is going to be sad in a nostalgic way, but globalisation doesn't care for our feelings.

Those Clubs will/can go after the money but will players join them if FIFA do stop players from participating in their competitions.

Take Maddison as an example yes i'm sure he'll happily take a huge wage & be part of that initial rush of a so called 'elite' league but after awhile when it dawns on him that only 1 team gets to win something once a year & that there is no other reward to strive for, promotion, access into another competition ala CL/EL would he actually want to be involved?

Players like him, i know there are plenty of mercenaries, but players like him want to achieve things & most importantly want to play for their country its a huge thing that stems from childhood, i'm not so sure doubling his wages would make him want to miss out on what he's dreamt of since he was 4yrs old, its not like he's going to be financially stunted by not joining.

20 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Those Clubs will/can go after the money but will players join them if FIFA do stop players from participating in their competitions.

Take Maddison as an example yes i'm sure he'll happily take a huge wage & be part of that initial rush of a so called 'elite' league but after awhile when it dawns on him that only 1 team gets to win something once a year & that there is no other reward to strive for, promotion, access into another competition ala CL/EL would he actually want to be involved?

Players like him, i know there are plenty of mercenaries, but players like him want to achieve things & most importantly want to play for their country its a huge thing that stems from childhood, i'm not so sure doubling his wages would make him want to miss out on what he's dreamt of since he was 4yrs old, its not like he's going to be financially stunted by not joining.

I think you’re probably wrong unfortunately.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Nalis said:

Wonder if they'll do a half way house revamp, like having a first round of a two legged match with the winners going to a group stage of 4 groups of 4 to increase the quality of games at the group stage level.

That’s what’s looking likely - Juventus big wig has stopped his moaning last week. Format is going to be changed. Was talk of the last eight being two groups of 4 

It’s a silly idea and FIFA should prevent any player from competing in the break off league from participating in international football. 

Like someone says, you can only have one winner.

On 22/01/2021 at 12:11, TK95 said:

Whatever happens, we'll still be supporters of Leicester City and we'll still love our football. Take the money, take the glamour but they'll never take our passion from the game. Their loss

But selling the sole of football will affect everybody.  What passion can you have once all competition is taken away.  When your hopes and aspirations of seeing your club do what we did in 2016 no matter how unlikely, whether you support Everton or Accrington Stanley.  It will be the end of football as we know it. What is the point of watching something that lacks the chance to pit yourself against the best.

Anybody who goes for the **** em mentality only needs to see the shambles that is the SPL after relegating Rangers and there was no competition for Celtic.

I hope the 'big 6' owners understand that they may be getting a kings ransom to play in a league like that but very quickly they will be playing in empty stadiums, as not only will the supporters of other clubs stop watching but so will the fans of them. 

The sad thing is I work with followers of Liverpool and Arsenal.  They are so brainwashed that they should be at the top table, they would welcome this.  These people do not understand the very essence of supporting a team through thick and thin. They have never had the ups and downs like Leicester have and will happily pay Sky £50 a month for the privelege.  Sad times.

It is good to see the REAL supporters of the big 6 against this and have signed the document.  The only positive I can think is there may well be more supporter led clubs created like FC United and that would give football back to the people it should be given to.

I can think of no worse structure than the American closed shop model.  Football is already morally corrrupt at the top level in this country.  We should be looking to distribute down the pyramid rather than keeping it all in the Prem.  I suppose at least on paper anyway there is a chance that your club can one day get there no matter how slim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sly said:

It’s a silly idea and FIFA should prevent any player from competing in the break off league from participating in international football. 

Like someone says, you can only have one winner.

And the problem with that is that International football then becomes devalued too.  Imagine in 2026, England win the world cup but France have 15 players unavailable, Germany 15, Spain 13 etc.  What would be the point when you are not seeing the best players play.

Also banning players from playing a certain competition for life or for a number of years would be impossible as what happens with transfers?  That would be a restraint of trade.

How long did that Kerry Packer Cricket thingy last all those years back?  I think it was about 2/3 years before people got bored.  Would any fan outside of the 'Big 6' seriously pay money to watch this competition??  Personally, I would rather watch Antiques Road Show.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

How long did that Kerry Packer Cricket thingy last all those years back?  I think it was about 2/3 years before people got bored.  Would any fan outside of the 'Big 6' seriously pay money to watch this competition??  Personally, I would rather watch Antiques Road Show.

Nope. It reminds me of the nation's league, purely in terms of the whole premise being kind of boring. Wouldn't watch a single game.

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I'm not so sure it was because people got bored rather that the Cricket Establishment took on board what he had and replicated it more or less. At least that's my memory of it.

There in lies the danger. The cliché Money Talks has never been more true. Establishment people now want a slice of the cake before they're ousted.

• Like 2