Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Europa League draw (Mon 14 Dec)

12 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Pre Covid, I'd be chomping at the bit for this draw, time booked off work preying we draw a team that would offer a great travel experience.

Now we can't go, I couldn't really care less about who we draw so long as we beat them!

Shame. Will be a big game for us with our lack of European experience. I’m really excited to see who we draw despite not being able to go. 

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Wolfsberger would be the ones i'd want to avoid from the 'easy' group. To do what they've done in that group, considering their stature, is amazing and will give them momentum.

True, to overcome Feyenoord and CSKA Moscow is a great achievement for them.

I find it bonkers how badly the Russian clubs have collapsed in Europe in general this year. Wolfsberger got a great result at CSKA in the last round which put them in a great position to qualify. Fair play to them.

15 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

True, to overcome Feyenoord and CSKA Moscow is a great achievement for them.

I find it bonkers how badly the Russian clubs have collapsed in Europe in general this year. Wolfsberger got a great result at CSKA in the last round which put them in a great position to qualify. Fair play to them.

I do wonder if the Russian clubs have been affected more by COVID disrupting the schedules, due to their seasons being at different times anyway. I've not looked into it but wouldn't surprise me if that's what has happened.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Does someone want to rank the teams on ability? That would be awesome. Obviously looking to those of you that actually watch many leagues 

Opinions will obviously differ … here are the current computed rankings from fivethirtyeight.

1179824160_538ELDec11.thumb.JPG.571649e415aa5818557ad29a0be4e05e.JPG

Slavia Prague, Granada, Braga, Dynamo Kiev and Krasnodar are just below the clubs shown.   Maccabi, Red Star, Molde, Antwerp  and Wolfsberg are considered the weak sisters below AEK’s level.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/europa-league/

Edited by KingsX
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Shame. Will be a big game for us with our lack of European experience. I’m really excited to see who we draw despite not being able to go. 

As a club we lack experience but we have a few player with a lot of European experience.

Under has 11 CL apps, 10 EL apps

Tielemans 22 CL apps,   29 EL apps 

Praet         18 CL apps,  16 EL apps 

Evans        27 CL apps, 7 EL apps 

Plus all the boys who are left who played in the CL run.

Exciting times! 

Edited by coolhandfox

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Opinions will obviously differ … here are the current computed rankings from fivethirtyeight.

Slavia Prague, Granada, Braga, Dynamo Kiev and Krasnodar are just below the clubs shown.   Maccabi, Red Star, Molde, Antwerp  and Wolfsburg are considered the weak sisters below AEK’s level.

Not meaning to be pedantic but it's Wolfsberger, an Austrian side, not Wolfsburg the German side. They've actually done alright in Europe the last couple of seasons.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

As a club we lack experience but we have a few player with a lot of European experience.

Under has 11 CL apps, 10 EL apps

Tielemans 22 CL apps,   29 EL apps 

Praet         18 CL apps,  16 EL apps 

Evans        27 CL apps, 7 EL apps 

Plus all the boy who are left who played in the CL run.

Exciting times! 

Absolutely. Got to enjoy our European games especially the knockout ones because god knows when we’ll next have them. 

Well, hopefully next year but you know what I mean ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Not meaning to be pedantic but it's Wolfsberger, an Austrian side, not Wolfsburg the German side. They've actually done alright in Europe the last couple of seasons.

What's an "e" or a "u" among friends  :ph34r: 

Corrected my spelling (and will note, fivethirtyeight are referring to the Austrian side).

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Slavia Prague, Granada, Braga, Dynamo Kiev and Krasnodar are just below the clubs shown.   Maccabi, Red Star, Molde, Antwerp  and Wolfsberg are considered the weak sisters below AEK’s level.

It's interesting to look at sure... but Wolfsberger are the perfect example of a team not doing well in the league but having a great European campaign. The fact that graph puts them below AEK is bonkers... but obviously it includes all form I guess?

16 minutes ago, KingsX said:

All this tells me, is that we are bang on to draw Sociedad on Monday lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Koke said:

We are 5th favourite to win the whole thing at 10/1

• Tottenham. 5/1.
  • Manchester Utd. 11/2.
  • Arsenal. 7/1.
  • AC Milan. 9/1.
  • Leicester. 10/1.
  • Bayer Leverkusen. 14/1.
  • Napoli. 14/1.
  • Benfica. 16/1.

I thought Leverkusen were decent—better than united and arsenal at least?

4 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

For the best of the club, obviously I want a team who we are most capable of beating - i just don't care who that team is.

If covid wasn't around, obviously I'd be excited at the possibility of travelling. Where we flying from, where we flying too, how many fans are going, wheres the fan zone etc etc. That excitement has been lost now.