Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alanf0x

Undr The Cosh

22 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

Wondered if many of you listen to the 'Undr The Cosh podcasts'?

Have recently listened to Iain Hume, Ben Marshall and Gerry Taggart. All worth a listen for their thoughts on the club. Lots of 'off the pitch' stories like Ben Marshall (who is a 'lad') used to live with Mr Vardy.

Some highlights from the Hume podcast:

• Had a real love for the club.
  • Signed when Craig Levein was in charge, who was his hero being a Hearts fan. After a bad game, Levein who was not a fan of colored boots, throw all of his in the skip. Wanted to set an example to the rest with his new signing. 
  • Both Gary Megson and Nigel Worthington worked them hard. Worthington was more tactically astute.
  • Megson introduced prozone to the club, costing 80k to 100k on the package 
  • Taggart as caretaker was an 'enjoyable' experience. Tagg's had just started coaching and used to come in on a Monday still steam boated from the weekend. He had the respect from everyone at the club but if they were not doing the job, he would have you against a wall 
  • Martin Allen: lots of questionable signings through 1 agent (Willie McKay) with Mandaric. Hossein Kaebi, a Dutch prodigy (Sergio Hellings) who played 5 games in 6 years and a keeper from Denmark who had massive gambling debts (the signing on fee was paying them off). All of these players were on 6's and 7's a week, played just a handful of games and the players could tell instantly that these signings 'were just not there'. Hume and Fryatt were playing and scoring goals every week on 2's & 3's a week but they sign DJ Campbell who although was a good goal scorer at Birmingham was on 15's to 18's a week and not playing every week. Signed players like Bruno N'Gotty, who they just didn't need. Overall Allen was loopy and the players knew he had that trigger. Training was ok but Allen had to reign it in a bit at Leicester. He did reference the 'day in the life of a normal person' and he was told to spend the day in the ticket office.
  • Ollie: A great guy, best banter from a manger. Dealt a bad hand and was also a step too far moving up to Leicester (Plymouth who were flying to Leicester struggling). Given 5 million in the transfer market but had to clear the decks first. Spent around 3 million paying off the players mentioned above first before able to buy. Ollie sat everyone down to see if all were in with him on the final day of the transfer window in the season they got relegated. Hume said he 100% was in, loved the club. Later that day Andrew Neville rings up to to advise Preston had put a bid in. Mandaric agreed fee of 400k. Hume rang up Ollie to see why he was selling him after saying 100% committed and behind him. Ollie knew nothing about the transfer. Ollie called him back to say Mandaric had gone over the top of him and told him to go if right for him. Hume told Ollie he had his word and he would stay, just wanted to keep the club up. That was his only focus.
  • Devastated that we had been relegated to League 1. Gets called into the club to advise that his wages were being cut in half. The club had a different contract to the copy that he had. The club got him to sign a 'second copy' after signing the original (that did not have the clause) without updating them of the pay cut clause. He had bought a new house and just couldn't afford to stay on the decreased wages. Lots of the players who had the 50% decrease in their contracts were told that it would not apply to them, but not for Hume so he thought the club were trying to force a move. Club said they didn't offer players option not to take pay cut, but players showed him the offers. 
  • After relegation he came out in the press to say he didn't want to leave as he loved every minute of the club (apart from the Stoke game). Barnsley put an offer in and he didn't want to leave. Wanted to stay and get the club back up into the championship. Tried to price out the move but surprisingly Barnsley agreed to pay him what he asked for (which was a much higher contract at Leicester). Ended up leaving for 1.2 million which was a big increase on the 400k that they would have received in January from Preston.
  • Biggest mistake of his career was leaving the club. He watched the following season thinking what could have been for him when the club stormed League 1 with Fryatt, Howard and King all scoring plenty of goals. He felt that could have been him.

Went on to talk about the Morgan incident where he fractured his scull. 

A great listen...great to hear his love for the club and the rapport he had with supporters. 

Hume was great; a real shining light in very dark days!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shailen said:

Hume was a shining light in those dark days. We needed more players like him at the time, that would put a shift in every single minute of every game. 

Haha! You beat me to it - almost word for word! 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I liked Hume but my lasting memory of him was missing that penalty in front of the Kop during that infamous Sheff Wed match in 2008 that virtually relegated us. 

However, he scored the first to give us some hope and made the Wharf Wobble (first time that I'd felt it). 

39 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I liked Hume but my lasting memory of him was missing that penalty in front of the Kop during that infamous Sheff Wed match in 2008 that virtually relegated us. 

However, he scored the first to give us some hope and made the Wharf Wobble (first time that I'd felt it). 

Have got incredibly vivid memories of that game for some reason. I’m sure if we won that game it would’ve mathematically saved us?

-Lee Jobber and their equivalent Lee Jobber (basically big fat bald guy with no top on) being allowed by the stewards to come down to the front and hug it out pre match. 

-Hume missing that pen to go 2 nil up?

-Later on Leon Clarke lobbing Henderson who was miles off his goal to seal the points. Then Henderson proper had it out with 3-4 fans behind the goal who chucked their season ticket at him. Angry times.

Re the podcast, I’ve spoken a lot about it on the ex players thread. It’s very good and lots of ex lcfc stuff in there. Well worth paying a few quid for the membership. 

Hume was a good age at the time, I think he’d banged them in in League One and more than good enough to stay for years after had he not left and had his horrific injury. 

Generally, I’ve watched a lot of these. The Ben Marshall one was good recently too, he’s perhaps a bit misunderstood.

3 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Hume was a good age at the time, I think he’d banged them in in League One and more than good enough to stay for years after had he not left and had his horrific injury. 

Generally, I’ve watched a lot of these. The Ben Marshall one was good recently too, he’s perhaps a bit misunderstood.

Misunderstood in regards to thinking he might have been more professional than he actually was?

He had bags of talent that he wasted which we knew anyway. Only thing I learned were the depths of how far his unprofessional behaviour went. 

His bad decision making was highlighted when he told the story about Khun Vichai obviously trying to help him and all he was bothered about was going to Vegas. 

I did laugh when he talks about Matt Mills being a **** in the gym and when Mills went to complain to Pearson in his office, Big Nige didn't say a word to him and just went over and head butted him! 

Also sounds like he had some damaging stories on Vardy but wisely stopped himself. I think we can read between the lines on that...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alanf0x said:

Wondered if many of you listen to the 'Undr The Cosh podcasts'?

Have recently listened to Iain Hume, Ben Marshall and Gerry Taggart. All worth a listen for their thoughts on the club. Lots of 'off the pitch' stories like Ben Marshall (who is a 'lad') used to live with Mr Vardy.

Some highlights from the Hume podcast:

• Had a real love for the club.
  • Signed when Craig Levein was in charge, who was his hero being a Hearts fan. After a bad game, Levein who was not a fan of colored boots, throw all of his in the skip. Wanted to set an example to the rest with his new signing. 
  • Both Gary Megson and Nigel Worthington worked them hard. Worthington was more tactically astute.
  • Megson introduced prozone to the club, costing 80k to 100k on the package 
  • Taggart as caretaker was an 'enjoyable' experience. Tagg's had just started coaching and used to come in on a Monday still steam boated from the weekend. He had the respect from everyone at the club but if they were not doing the job, he would have you against a wall 
  • Martin Allen: lots of questionable signings through 1 agent (Willie McKay) with Mandaric. Hossein Kaebi, a Dutch prodigy (Sergio Hellings) who played 5 games in 6 years and a keeper from Denmark who had massive gambling debts (the signing on fee was paying them off). All of these players were on 6's and 7's a week, played just a handful of games and the players could tell instantly that these signings 'were just not there'. Hume and Fryatt were playing and scoring goals every week on 2's & 3's a week but they sign DJ Campbell who although was a good goal scorer at Birmingham was on 15's to 18's a week and not playing every week. Signed players like Bruno N'Gotty, who they just didn't need. Overall Allen was loopy and the players knew he had that trigger. Training was ok but Allen had to reign it in a bit at Leicester. He did reference the 'day in the life of a normal person' and he was told to spend the day in the ticket office.
  • Ollie: A great guy, best banter from a manger. Dealt a bad hand and was also a step too far moving up to Leicester (Plymouth who were flying to Leicester struggling). Given 5 million in the transfer market but had to clear the decks first. Spent around 3 million paying off the players mentioned above first before able to buy. Ollie sat everyone down to see if all were in with him on the final day of the transfer window in the season they got relegated. Hume said he 100% was in, loved the club. Later that day Andrew Neville rings up to to advise Preston had put a bid in. Mandaric agreed fee of 400k. Hume rang up Ollie to see why he was selling him after saying 100% committed and behind him. Ollie knew nothing about the transfer. Ollie called him back to say Mandaric had gone over the top of him and told him to go if right for him. Hume told Ollie he had his word and he would stay, just wanted to keep the club up. That was his only focus.
  • Devastated that we had been relegated to League 1. Gets called into the club to advise that his wages were being cut in half. The club had a different contract to the copy that he had. The club got him to sign a 'second copy' after signing the original (that did not have the clause) without updating them of the pay cut clause. He had bought a new house and just couldn't afford to stay on the decreased wages. Lots of the players who had the 50% decrease in their contracts were told that it would not apply to them, but not for Hume so he thought the club were trying to force a move. Club said they didn't offer players option not to take pay cut, but players showed him the offers. 
  • After relegation he came out in the press to say he didn't want to leave as he loved every minute of the club (apart from the Stoke game). Barnsley put an offer in and he didn't want to leave. Wanted to stay and get the club back up into the championship. Tried to price out the move but surprisingly Barnsley agreed to pay him what he asked for (which was a much higher contract at Leicester). Ended up leaving for 1.2 million which was a big increase on the 400k that they would have received in January from Preston.
  • Biggest mistake of his career was leaving the club. He watched the following season thinking what could have been for him when the club stormed League 1 with Fryatt, Howard and King all scoring plenty of goals. He felt that could have been him.

Went on to talk about the Morgan incident where he fractured his scull. 

A great listen...great to hear his love for the club and the rapport he had with supporters. 

Thanks for this, always on the lookout for new podcasts to keep me sane through the nightshifts at work! 

He was 5'7 and winning headers against 6'3 defenders. His aerial abilities were exceptional. Good player for us at the time, one of the few who actually pulled his weight. But as Ric said, often a headless chicken. 

1 hour ago, Aleksz said:

Generally, I’ve watched a lot of these. The Ben Marshall one was good recently too, he’s perhaps a bit misunderstood

Talent wise Marshall was a mid table Championship player at best. Knockaert and Lloyd Dyer were both more talented. Pearson moved him o  because he didn't rate him, not because of his lifestyle. Otherwise he would have also moved on Vardy who was having shots before a game. Vardy's lifestyle was also terrible with his drinking.

Ben Marshall just wasn't that good. Even if he worked hard he would have remained a Championship player all his career.

As for the podcast, it has potential but I'll give it a miss. I'm used to structured podcasts with good conversations. Not continuous mindless laughter and topics being switched back and forth.

Tbh that era of footballers (1995-2010) are mostly not listenable in long form podcasts. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Koke said:

As for the podcast, it has potential but I'll give it a miss. I'm used to structured podcasts with good conversations. Not continuous mindless laughter and topics being switched back and forth.

Tbh that era of footballers (1995-2010) are mostly not listenable in long form podcasts. 

I listened to the Hume one, loved listening to him talk about his time at the club. But continual interruptions from one of the hosts really ruined the flow and made a lot of things stop start for me. I prefer when the host lets the guest speak rather than cutting in continuously 

• Like 2

The podcast has some decent guests with some good stories but Parkin is a dreadful host as is the so called comedian. The ex footballer Chris Brown is alright.

Gets tedious after you've listened to a few as Parkin just wants to talk about them going out getting pissed which ain't all that interesting to listen to. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Gets tedious after you've listened to a few as Parkin just wants to talk about them going out getting pissed which ain't all that interesting to listen to. 

That's partly also why I can't get into that. They had Marc Bircham on once, the ex QPR player, and all his stories were about stupid lad behaviour and drinking culture. 80% of players from 1995-2010 all have similar career stories. It gets boring very quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I loved Hume during a hideous period of our history. Was at times a headless chicken who could be a hinderence when we were chasing games and he dropped deeper and deeper looking for the ball but at times he was superb.

I think Pearson would've loved his style too, a shame they didn't work together. Bloke ran his bollocks off each game and his record in such a shit team was very respectable.

Pearson rejuvenated Fryatt, improved Nugent's game, turned Vardy into a serious striker, a season in League One would've given Hume a load of confidence to take back to the Championship. 

Loved Iain Hume for us. There wasn't much to shout about in those times but he was brilliant for us. Judging from the OP it looks like the club shafted him but it seems that he bears no hard feelings. Top bloke if that's the case.

I also thought Nigel Worthington was dealt a tough hand here. It looked like the players were enjoying themselves under his temporary guidance and I would've liked him to get the job permanently at the time. No surprise he was one of the more tactically astute bosses that Hume had too. Worthington always came across as an intelligent bloke.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Talent wise Marshall was a mid table Championship player at best. Knockaert and Lloyd Dyer were both more talented. Pearson moved him o  because he didn't rate him, not because of his lifestyle. Otherwise he would have also moved on Vardy who was having shots before a game. Vardy's lifestyle was also terrible with his drinking.

Ben Marshall just wasn't that good. Even if he worked hard he would have remained a Championship player all his career.

No chance. Ability wise Marshall could have played in the premiership no doubt and had a decent career. Pearson said Marshall was a good player and a good lad but didn’t like Monday’s. ie because he wasn’t tipping up after a weekend on the booze. 

Re Vardy he obviously rated him but he’d also just paid a million pound in a public transfer for him and stuck his neck on the line to sign him. Couldn’t just sack him off immediately or he’d have looked stupid. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Koke said:

That's partly also why I can't get into that. They had Marc Bircham on once, the ex QPR player, and all his stories were about stupid lad behaviour and drinking culture. 80% of players from 1995-2010 all have similar career stories. It gets boring very quickly.

John Hartson, Clarke Carlisle, Michael Tonge, Iain Hume, Matt Killgallon, Mark Crossley, Ian Holloway, Iain Dowie, Kevin Campbell, Nigel Jemson, Bruce Grobbelar. Just a few off the top of my head that are very good/insightful and aren’t based around drinking culture. I get your point though, some parts of a few of the podcasts are a bit cringe. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

No chance. Ability wise Marshall could have played in the premiership no doubt and had a decent career. Pearson said Marshall was a good player and a good lad but didn’t like Monday’s. ie because he wasn’t tipping up after a weekend on the booze. 

Re Vardy he obviously rated him but he’d also just paid a million pound in a public transfer for him and stuck his neck on the line to sign him. Couldn’t just sack him off immediately or he’d have looked stupid. 

That's also not Pearson's style is it, really. His best attribute is his man management, and without that we would not have the Vardy we are so incredibly fortunate to have today.

• 3 months later...

Bit of a random one but didn't know where else to put it.

Just listened to the Danny Mills Undr the Cosh episode and he revealed that during his spell at Leeds after the first season, Peter Taylor wanted to sign him for us and he wanted to join as he wasn't playing much at the time.

I assume that would of been around the time we paid 3 million to sign Gary Rowett. 

19 hours ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Bit of a random one but didn't know where else to put it.

Just listened to the Danny Mills Undr the Cosh episode and he revealed that during his spell at Leeds after the first season, Peter Taylor wanted to sign him for us and he wanted to join as he wasn't playing much at the time.

I assume that would of been around the time we paid 3 million to sign Gary Rowett.

I don't think he come across very well when talking about Leeds, not that it mattered as we were on a download spiral at the time but think we missed a bullet there

1 hour ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

I don't think he come across very well when talking about Leeds, not that it mattered as we were on a download spiral at the time but think we missed a bullet there

mills is a weird guy

i was at the fulham v villa playoff final near to him and he spent the whole game staring at his phone (not hyperbole) not even talking to the person he was with

• Like 1