Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alanf0x

Undr The Cosh

3 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

And the fact he called Pearson inarticulate is pretty funny considering he's a man who doesn't leave you in much doubt as to what he meant. Suggesting he had no idea with tactics was clearly bollocks too; he's been a pretty successful manager in the grand scheme of things.

This part for me is the part where the dots are connected on Mills.

Before this he's very careful to portray himself as this perfect professional who wants constructive criticism from his manager and is "sooooooo" confused to why he's being headbutted. The bit where he attacks Nige for being confusing in training you see the true Mills. I'd imagine an underhand disrespectful bastard who would have thought he was above the club and the manager. There's loads more interesting pointers in the interview, especially name dropping his dad and family in to tighten his perceived righteousness, so many psychological clues in that interview it's unreal!

The thing is I'm sure Mills is probably an alright lad and not a bad person in general.  He Just wasn't the right character for a 2011 progressive Nigel Pearson team! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattFox said:

Hype around that transfer window in 2011 is mad when you look back.

Everyone thought we’d walk the league

Konchesky and Kasper obviously the only ones that actually turned out decent.

Quite liked Gelson Fernandes tbh. Possibly with us at the wrong time

• Like 1

Sounds like there is a lot of half truths and whole lies from mills, i'd imagine the dressing room couldn't stand him and pearson has obviously has had words with his trusted players and gone from there,

the only thing that adds weight to what he says if it's true is the the part when he goes on about peason giving out strong handshakes cant stand people who do that.

The Brendan Rodgers stuff starts at 54:00. It’s interesting because bits I’ve heard about Brendan is that he absolutely loves the lifestyle of being the “Big I am” which is what Mills says and we saw how Brendan instantly went to protect his own reputation when people started to question our downturn in form recently.

It’s interesting what he says about getting the job at Barcelona if he gets an interview with them because of how he approaches the game and speaking fluent Spanish. It does make me think whether the drop off we’ve seen in application from the players is because everyone sees Leicester as a stepping stone to the next part of their career, manager included.

He’s obviously an unbelievable coach and Mills (who is a **** and a dressing room cancer in all honesty) does give him that credit but it does make me wonder whether the issues we have been having recently is because other than the young lads coming in, everyone is thinking about their next move out of Seagrave. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Collymore said:

Go to 8:00 for Mills on the Pearson head butt and his time at Leicester. I think this is a classic case of there being two sides to every story!

I don’t like Mills at all…… Rubbish at Leicester……. A Brendan stays man, myself. Though at 55 ish mins on you need to hear Mills thoughts on BR @ Reading 😂

Edited by FoxnNorfolk
To make clear

I’m sure there are elements of truth to what he says, I’m also positive he’s providing a very rose tinted version of events. He completely glosses over what Pearson actually said about him and what he’d been doing since Pearson came in you notice, then makes out Pearson didn’t tell him what he’s done wrong. 

We have way more accounts of players saying he treats you like a man, gives you it straight etc than we do accounts like Mills. He’s certainly not been wrong about these players either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I’m sure there are elements of truth to what he says, I’m also positive he’s providing a very rose tinted version of events. He completely glosses over what Pearson actually said about him and what he’d been doing since Pearson came in you notice, then makes out Pearson didn’t tell him what he’s done wrong. 

We have way more accounts of players saying he treats you like a man, gives you it straight etc than we do accounts like Mills. He’s certainly not been wrong about these players either.

The bit which doesn't show Pearson in a very good light and I'd be more surprised if Mills had made it up than over fabricating the confrontation in his office was the first time he was introduced to him at Leicester and he said he wasn't as fat as he thought he was. 

He's a hard man is Pearson, which makes him a strong manager and I respect that, doesn't mean he can't go about things in a better way at times which was my point. 

Also the bit Mills said about sometimes him being unable to articulate himself made me laugh as I used to enjoy Pearsons interviews where he was clearly having to think very carefully what he was trying to say and in the end would just fcuk it off 😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

I watched the podcast in two halves. After the first half I was slightly surprised because I genuinely thought he came across pretty well. Friendly, laid back, happy to have a joke at his expense. 

After the second half, you start to see the real Mills come out in my opinion. The arrogant side. Clearly a bang average championship footballer that believes himself to be quality. If he didn’t get a 5.5mil move to us nobody would have even heard of him.

How many times did he say ‘and I was like, WHAT is going on’ no wonder he was so shite if he didn’t have a clue what was happening around him 24/7.

This. He was clearly interested in getting promoted for his 50% wage increase. Almost thinks he achieved in the game by not going to Wolves who got relegated and he would’ve taken a 50% cut. You can see his main motives throughout even though he’s trying to paint this picture of being a modern pro and leader. Maybe he was in his head and thought he was better than everyone else because of it.

Based on that Pearson did the right thing and it clearly worked.

1 minute ago, KFS said:

This. He was clearly interested in getting promoted for his 50% wage increase. Almost thinks he achieved in the game by not going to Wolves who got relegated and he would’ve taken a 50% cut. You can see his main motives throughout even though he’s trying to paint this picture of being a modern pro and leader. Maybe he was in his head and thought he was better than everyone else because of it.

Based on that Pearson did the right thing and it clearly worked.

The thing that reassures me Pearson was right and Mills was wrong is that even after leaving us, look at Mills career. Utter shite. Bolton, Forest and Barnsley took him who were in a right mess and then ended up at some Indian club. Then forest green where his brother was 

9 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

The Brendan Rodgers stuff starts at 54:00. It’s interesting because bits I’ve heard about Brendan is that he absolutely loves the lifestyle of being the “Big I am” which is what Mills says and we saw how Brendan instantly went to protect his own reputation when people started to question our downturn in form recently.

It’s interesting what he says about getting the job at Barcelona if he gets an interview with them because of how he approaches the game and speaking fluent Spanish. It does make me think whether the drop off we’ve seen in application from the players is because everyone sees Leicester as a stepping stone to the next part of their career, manager included.

He’s obviously an unbelievable coach and Mills (who is a **** and a dressing room cancer in all honesty) does give him that credit but it does make me wonder whether the issues we have been having recently is because other than the young lads coming in, everyone is thinking about their next move out of Seagrave. 

Yes, it was an interesting peice wasn't it. The unnecessary speaking in Spanish (trying to look sophisticated perhaps?), reminded me of an interview I heard about him with Glen Johnson speaking. Apparently when Rodgers arrived at Liverpool, he took on a bit of a mini Mourinho persona having worked under him at Chelsea when Johnson had been there too. This persona manifested at times not just with training techniques but also with Mourinho's sayings and sometimes even breaking into a pseudo Portuguese accent which was apparently cringeworthy🤣. Apparently to the senior professionals, he just became a figure of fun, a bit of a David Brent character if you like.

The bit that echoed for me though was when Reading were at the bottom of the table and in the relegation zone. Whilst his coaching was supposedly very good, the type of football he wanted to play, according to Mills, was inappropriate and just not possible with the players they had, whereas those same players, according to Mills, could have been deployed more successfully by playing to their strengths. Have there not been echoes of that here?

To be honest, that last bit does tend to stack up with my personal thoughts about Rodgers and his methods and partly for me, the reason why we've nose-dived two seasons running and had a poor start this year. To me he seems an egotistical Walter Mitty type character and a one trick pony with no plan B.

The claims that he may be a stepping stone club for him don't actually bother me personally as it doesn't with players. I think the reason being is that he did manage to get his dream job at Barcelona or whoever,  he can only have got there after doing well with us, therefore making us an attractive prospect to the next manager and influx of players.

Unfortunately, he seems to have now been a little bit found out and thus less attractive to elite club chairmen. I still believe that most of his 'success' here was more down to the quality of our squad and far less due to his stewardship. In fact, I think that when the team, full of new season exuberance played more their own way, they were far better than when we saw Rodger's micromanagement come into play. His continual playing of certain players out of position unnecessarily and outdated poor imitation of a football philosophy has eventually caught him with his pants down  ... perhaps he needs a bigger Gucci belt?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The bit which doesn't show Pearson in a very good light and I'd be more surprised if Mills had made it up than over fabricating the confrontation in his office was the first time he was introduced to him at Leicester and he said he wasn't as fat as he thought he was. 

He's a hard man is Pearson, which makes him a strong manager and I respect that, doesn't mean he can't go about things in a better way at times which was my point. 

Also the bit Mills said about sometimes him being unable to articulate himself made me laugh as I used to enjoy Pearsons interviews where he was clearly having to think very carefully what he was trying to say and in the end would just fcuk it off 😂😂😂

We have a lot of players who love the bloke. Even Bullard, who admitted he had run ins with him said the other lads really liked him at Hull even if he didn’t. So my first thought would be what have they done to piss him off, and are they being honest about that. 

This is where I think elements of truth come in. I certainly think he’s happy to go into a club and make an example of a player, but I don’t think he’s stupid enough to do it without a reason. Punishment for a reason sets an example and lets people know where they stand, punishment for no reason will only serve to make you look like an unreasonable dick.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

I watched the podcast in two halves. After the first half I was slightly surprised because I genuinely thought he came across pretty well. Friendly, laid back, happy to have a joke at his expense. 

After the second half, you start to see the real Mills come out in my opinion. The arrogant side. Clearly a bang average championship footballer that believes himself to be quality. If he didn’t get a 5.5mil move to us nobody would have even heard of him.

How many times did he say ‘and I was like, WHAT is going on’ no wonder he was so shite if he didn’t have a clue what was happening around him 24/7.

yeah i'd heard first hand how arrogant he was when he was here and that was from a family friend of their family. very much like drinkwater a weirdo and a tosser.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

We have a lot of players who love the bloke. Even Bullard, who admitted he had run ins with him said the other lads really liked him at Hull even if he didn’t. So my first thought would be what have they done to piss him off, and are they being honest about that. 

This is where I think elements of truth come in. I certainly think he’s happy to go into a club and make an example of a player, but I don’t think he’s stupid enough to do it without a reason. Punishment for a reason sets an example and lets people know where they stand, punishment for no reason will only serve to make you look like an unreasonable dick.

I think at very best you can say Mills is simply oblivious to how human interactions work.  Just take that meeting where he apparently got called into the office and asked if he 'deserves' to be captain.   Seems obvious that was his opportunity to make the case for himself and prove what he brings to the club, then knuckle down and take the role seriously.  By his own account he completely failed to appreciate that's what was happening and still to this day the penny apparently hasn't dropped because he talks about it like an unprovoked assault on his good character.  He seems the sort of bloke who would be constantly in and out of the job centre had he not been marginally above average at football.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

The thing that reassures me Pearson was right and Mills was wrong is that even after leaving us, look at Mills career. Utter shite. Bolton, Forest and Barnsley took him who were in a right mess and then ended up at some Indian club. Then forest green where his brother was 

How many players that Pearson let go went on to be great successes elsewhere? DJ Campbell for a season at Blackpool possibly? 

Most of his best signings did really well here, stayed for a long time or went elsewhere after he left. 

19 minutes ago, Manini said:

“Gucci belt” has absolutely buckled me (pardon the pun). I really really really hope it did play out exactly like that to be honest. 

I couldn't stop laughing either. Mills is a twat but he's got a good delivery when it comes to stories.

• Haha 1

I listened to the episode— I heard someone who was never really liked by his teammates and who had difficulty relating to them. He also seemed to think he knew better than nearly all of his managers but once he had exposure to that side of the touch line at Forest Green Rovers, he found out it’s not the easy job he thought it was. 

Told some good stories, though, and it was an entertaining listen but the Ben Marshall episode was better. :P

38 minutes ago, Manini said:

“Gucci belt” has absolutely buckled me (pardon the pun). I really really really hope it did play out exactly like that to be honest. 

Maybe the Napoli fans were just trying to show off theirs and we misunderstood them. 

229860A6-81AF-4AB1-9999-102BAD37FAD9.jpeg

Edited by The_77
  • Haha 1