Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Jonny Evans - New Deal until 2023

6 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Nothing to do with position! Just adding experience to the squad. And on a free why not! 

Just seemed an odd player to pick when you mentioned losing two players.

Plus he starts for West Ham, I doubt he'll leave, I think he'll get a new contract.

I was abit harsh on him start of this season. To me with the way last one ended in capitulation, his performances against Tottenham away and Man U home really really annoyed me, to me he certainly tried to get himself sent off on the penultimate game and then made sure of it when the final game was lost against Utd(which then forced us to play a partially injured Ndidi at the start of this season, seeing Wilf out for a few months). I thought we lacked leaders and saw Evans experience, pedigree & quality as needed but lacking.

This season once again he's shown his class. Undoubtedly during his time here he's helped the development of Soyuncu and now Fofana. Hopefully he steps into a higher leadership role and takes charge when and if we need it on the pitch.

Excellent news.

I wonder if he signed because of the rooms they have at the training ground - I'm sure anyone could have extra curricular activities with his missus 😋.

Salary wise I imagine hes on the same salary I.e. £80k p/w. I guess they've have discussions about what he wants to do during or after hes left as to whether he wants to stay in some capacity. That salary though means morgan must be gone with maybe fuchs handed another final year contract if needed.

Guest StevieLynex
5 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Bit weird how the interviewer tried and failed to lead Jonny into saying that the new training facility was a big factor in signing the new deal.

The beauty of the training facility has only been discovered by Vardy

This is fantastic news. He is a great experienced head to have at the back, while our great CB prospects develop into proper elite CBs.

Hopefully this will also settle Evans himself a bit, as he has been looking a bit rusty at times this year. 

What a great way to start the year.

I remember when we were linked with Jonny, and the vast majority were against signing him, it was a significant fee sure at the time, and then once West Brom capitulated it reinforced the opinions of some. Which is to be expected to be fair.

However, there was always a good player there, and he needed to make a choice of whether or not he'd get regular game time. He wasn't going to get that at Man City (certainly at that time).

I had a indirect contact with him and his Dad (his agent), and did my bit in 'selling the club', and jokingly said that if he came to us, not only would he be guaranteed games, but the fans would appreciate him more, and he could join a much more exciting project. I don't think that my upsell made a jot of difference, and the club negotiated a decent contract and sold our vision well, hence he came. But I am glad that he's extended his stay. He'll know that he's on the wane and will get much less games as we transition to a younger defensive line, but he'll have been assured that his importance is his professionalism, attitude, and experience that's invaluable in helping develop the young'uns, and providing a solid back-up.

This is as good as a new January signing.

• Like 2

Great news, big fan of Jonny. He already seems to have had a hugely positive effect on Little Wes, JJ and Thomas. Can only be a good thing that they continue to play alongside and learn from a top pro like Jonny. 

Always nice to hear when a player talks as though they genuinely love it at the club.

Excellent news. Evans was the only one of our six out of contract players who is a first team regular and would have attracted big interest from rival onlooking clubs if the situation had dragged on. Getting that wrapped up before the turn of the year is a big positive. One of our best signings in recent years in terms of what he brings to the party for the fee we paid. 

On 01/01/2021 at 00:44, Fox92 said:

Pleased to hear but 2023 seems a fair while given he's 33 next week.

But I like how this club looks after loyal and committed players like they have with Morgan, Kasper and Vardy (although I still think Vardy is being underpaid so I hope he gets a retirement bonus or a coaching position at the club afterwards because he deserves it).

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Let's not forget him today, absolute rubbish today the pace of the Leeds players to much for him to handle, needs ditching!

Have a day off.

He was no worse than Fofana but, of course, we can’t criticise Fofana can we.