Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve Earle

Stoke (a) pre-match thread

2 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I think whatever happens JJ should get a rest he’s played every game for the full 90 unless I’m mistaken .  

BR said the other day that JJ is a machine, but I agree he could do with a break.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Yes, As someone who's seen us lose the 3 finals in the 60s as a young Fan I was devastated.

To win the league and an FA cup in the same decade would be amazing.

Me too I was at the 69 Final.

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Would rather play Castagne or Ricardo at RB but depends how they are fitness wise 

Great idea and move Amartey alongside Cags.

On 03/01/2021 at 16:39, Steve Earle said:

At last, JJ, Evans & Tielemans can have a complete break.

Here’s my bound-to-be-wildly-inaccurate guess:

Ward

Castagne

Amartey

Soyuncu

Thomas

Mendy

Under 

Praet 

Choudhury or Tavares

Barnes

Perez

I don't guess teams , I'd be useless at it but Newcastle ,followed by 9 changes followed by presumably another 9 for a tricky Southampton at home is asking for trouble . I'm not overly worried about the cup but we can't afford to lose any more ground to the teams who are now around us. We need three points v Saints. Danny Ward and Under I'd go with and at least 45 minutes for Soyuncu but not 9 changes followed by another 9 surely. These matches are well spaced ,no ones going to get tired and I'd take my chances on injuries. We've got a good squad almost all back now.

Brendan must have an idea of the team he'd like to play to the end of the season and I would go with that , only making one or two changes when forced to ,or when it gets congested again, which a settled team can usually cope with well.

Could n't resist adding a line or two after Saints 1-L'pool 0. I'd still be more worried about L'pool than either of the Manchesters or Spurs but it does underline how tricky Saints are. I'm sure they said the same about us before 0-9. Long while ago, and and there's miles to go yet but things have got a little rosier. Just imagine one shot from Mane was all L'pools forwards managed on target acc. to the match report. I agree Man C. played well against an out of sorts Chelsea but nothing to justify the amount of hype ,a lot of which I read on here. IMO not too many changes v Stoke and Saints would n't mean giving up on the cup or league.

Edited by Alan Frost

I’d play our strongest team on account of there being no game for a week either side. Often the best way of keeping fit. You might be cautious on likes of Fofana and Maddison whom have had knocks mind. 

We might just keep getting fortunate with the draws like we did largely last season 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d play our strongest team on account of there being no game for a week either side. Often the best way of keeping fit. You might be cautious on likes of Fofana and Maddison whom have had knocks mind. 

We might just keep getting fortunate with the draws like we did largely last season 

Until we get sodding Chelsea in the quarters.

11 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I think whatever happens JJ should get a rest he’s played every game for the full 90 unless I’m mistaken .  

If you're a relative of Sam Eagle (nice photo) I respect your knowledge but even so I remember when footballers liked playing football, thats partly why they are good at it.  I would think JJ and Barnes would almost be insulted if you suggested they need a rest. Barcelona at their peak did n't consider resting Messi, Iniesta , and Xavi or not playing them in case they got injured. These are young fit guys. Johnny Evens has just played 3 on the trot, including 2 in 48 hours. He looked as fresh as a daisy at Newcastle and had a great match IMO. He's only 33 ish and Barnes and Justin are still slips of lads, lucky b------ds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

If you're a relative of Sam Eagle (nice photo) I respect your knowledge but even so I remember when footballers liked playing football, thats partly why they are good at it.  I would think JJ and Barnes would almost be insulted if you suggested they need a rest. Barcelona at their peak did n't consider resting Messi, Iniesta , and Xavi or not playing them in case they got injured. These are young fit guys. Johnny Evens has just played 3 on the trot, including 2 in 48 hours. He looked as fresh as a daisy at Newcastle and had a great match IMO. He's only 33 ish and Barnes and Justin are still slips of lads, lucky b------ds.

Typically some players have taken a holiday in this window.....Vardy Kasper etc....with restrictions the way they are I don’t think they will.....strong side please....keep this season flying along....

12 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

Yes they are young and I’m sure they want to play every game but Barnes has been rested a few times ,JJ is the only player that hasn’t and I thought he looked a big leggy against Palace at times . And you can’t compare him to Johnny Evans as  he’s not played every game and secondly he’s not played as a wing back running up and down the whole length of the pitch . 

16 hours ago, midland_red said:

I wasn't but my Dad was....still remember Mum taking me to Leicester Central to see my Dad off in 61

Try as he might, my brother couldn't get a ticket for the 63 final. On the day, he happened to be working close to the Central Station when he saw our Dad getting on one of the specials to Wembley.

Our old man told my brother he'd try to get a ticket for him. He did, but decided to go himself. Without telling anyone. 

Brother wasn't happy. Reckoned he chased the train over West Bridge bur it was too late. 

Thought it was funny meself, but there again I couldn't stand my brother...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Try as he might, my brother couldn't get a ticket for the 63 final. On the day, he happened to be working close to the Central Station when he saw our Dad getting on one of the specials to Wembley.

Our old man told my brother he'd try to get a ticket for him. He did, but decided to go himself. Without telling anyone. 

Brother wasn't happy. Reckoned he chased the train over West Bridge bur it was too late. 

Thought it was funny meself, but there again I couldn't stand my brother...

Just like me in 69 it didn't end well unfortunately 😪

• Like 1