Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve Earle

Stoke (a) pre-match thread

23 hours ago, jerry said:

Me too I was at the 69 Final.

I was 17 years old & my girlfriends dad got given a pair of tickets for the match. He had no interest so we went the game.  

What a day !!!

Super excitement followed abject disappointment . I will never Forget that day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, surrifox said:

Me too . The only other tie on that cup run I attended was Millwall which was scary as there was precious little segregation of fans that I could ascertain :blush:

Cold Blow Lane - remember it well and also being surrounded by Millwall Fans so a bit hairy. Worse situation was the 5th round replay at Anfield when after the match we had all the windows put out in the coach by bricks thrown by the lovely home fans waiting for us on Scotland Road - other coaches had the same done to them. Quite poignant tho to think we were in the same Lepping Road end at Hillsborough for the semi that exactly 20 years later all those Liverpool fans would perish.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bptiger said:

This is my 1st post , I was 9 and the 1969. Final was my 1st time seeing the mighty foxes play and I have been fan ever since , been in aust all this time and it’s great to be part of this forum .

Welcome, Are there many expat foxes in your part of Aust?

Where are you in Oz by the way?

Anyone remember our promotion season when we played Stoke in the FA Cup. They were a pretty established Prem side back then. We played a weakened side and I remember their fans being quite critical saying we would be straight back down. 

Football changes so quickly sometimes. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Anyone remember our promotion season when we played Stoke in the FA Cup. They were a pretty established Prem side back then. We played a weakened side and I remember their fans being quite critical saying we would be straight back down. 

Football changes so quickly sometimes. 

It was around the same time Stoke and Swansea’s string of mid table finishes in the prem were seen as about the best you could hope for as a newly promoted team. Soon changed a couple of seasons later...

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Play the U23's..

We've bigger fish to fry than worrying about winning a Mickey mouse domestic cup.

I'd like us to win this but even if we get to the quarters or semis we will inevitably be knocked out by Man City yet again. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

You know, if I was asked would I prefer another Premier league title or a FA cup win, I may choose FA cup!

It is probably an age thing.

20/30 years ago it was a fantastic competition but over the years it's been more and more devalued. Started with the semi finals being played at Wembley and went on a slippery slope ever since. Most pl teams play very weak teams in the early rounds, devaluing it even more, key players rested for the league games!

Arsenal want to win it because they have a great history of winning the competition.

Tottenham want to win it because they're desperate for any kind of silverware.

Manchester City want to win it because they can! And play a second string who are easily capable of getting through to the latter stages.

The rest of the PL teams will field sides who might get them through, but if they don't..so what type of attitude.

Sad to see it evolve as it has..

And if we get knocked out by Stoke it's no big deal is it.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2021 at 07:37, King of Gipsy Lane said:

U23 team please let’s not mess about champions league more important than some tin cup ! 

You wouldn't say that if you were born when the FA cup ment something.   That was my highlight of the season, when we were not so good.

Bring the FA cup to Leicester and get our name on it.

Blue army!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Japanfox said:

You wouldn't say that if you were born when the FA cup ment something.   That was my highlight of the season, when we were not so good.

Bring the FA cup to Leicester and get our name on it.

Blue army!!!

I wish we had the squad to make this dream come true.

Unfortunately we just don't have the fitness of players and the quality of squad to do all 3 that is finish top 6, Go far in the Europa league and go far in the FA Cup.

With the run of games coming in again the reality of it is that we have got to sack one off as bad as it sounds.

Edited by les-tah