Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve Earle

Stoke (a) pre-match thread

I'd absolutely love us to win the FA Cup. I wasn't even born the last time we reached the final, but just knowing our history in those games plus the overall history of the competition makes me absolutely desperate for us to win it one day.

I don't care if anyone thinks that competition has less value these days. Personally I think many neutrals won't consider us to be a 'big club' until we do win it. There's still prestige there and winning it will significantly add to our own prestige.

• Like 3

Brendan Rodgers Pre-Match press conference, info regarding Stoke match:

Brendan Rodgers confirms that Jamie Vardy and James Maddison are carrying knocks and both have question marks over their heads for the game against Stoke City.

Rodgers confirms neither have trained this week. Vardy is struggling with an impingement on his hip, whilst Maddison has had problems with a small knee injury.

Rodgers confirms that Ricardo has rejoined the training group but won’t feature this weekend. Soyuncu is back and up to speed fully. Under has a slight issue with his ankle.

Brendan Rodgers on FA Cup: “We’re excited about the cup competitions. The #UEL starts back up in February and we look forward to that. But this will be a tough game for us, they don’t concede many goals and we look forward to having a successful FA Cup run”

Rodgers on FA Cup: “We want to compete in every competition, and the FA Cup gives us an opportunity to do that. We’ll give absolutely everything. It’s a competition that the club want to win one day, we want to go as far as we can”

@StringerSport : Did your paths ever cross? Rodgers: “I know Michael well. Good homework, Ian! He played for the same team as me, but before me. But I was aware of Michael in my teenage years. When he arrived into Northern Ireland the job he did was incredible”

Rodgers: “We were just outside of the age band to play against each other. But, we’d pass each other. The towns are small and therefore you get to know the talents and I knew he was a talented player”

Rodgers on additional Covid-19 measures: “We’ve been very vigilant in all the work we’ve done. The players have been first class, and the positive tests we’ve had have been minimal and have mostly around staff”

Edited by moore_94

14 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Brendan Rodgers Pre-Match press conference, info regarding Stoke match:

Brendan Rodgers confirms that Jamie Vardy and James Maddison are carrying knocks and both have question marks over their heads for the game against Stoke City.

Rodgers confirms neither have trained this week. Vardy is struggling with an impingement on his hip, whilst Maddison has had problems with a small knee injury.

Rodgers confirms that Ricardo has rejoined the training group but won’t feature this weekend. Soyuncu is back and up to speed fully. Under has a slight issue with his ankle.

Brendan Rodgers on FA Cup: “We’re excited about the cup competitions. The #UEL starts back up in February and we look forward to that. But this will be a tough game for us, they don’t concede many goals and we look forward to having a successful FA Cup run”

Rodgers on FA Cup: “We want to compete in every competition, and the FA Cup gives us an opportunity to do that. We’ll give absolutely everything. It’s a competition that the club want to win one day, we want to go as far as we can”

@StringerSport : Did your paths ever cross? Rodgers: “I know Michael well. Good homework, Ian! He played for the same team as me, but before me. But I was aware of Michael in my teenage years. When he arrived into Northern Ireland the job he did was incredible”

Rodgers: “We were just outside of the age band to play against each other. But, we’d pass each other. The towns are small and therefore you get to know the talents and I knew he was a talented player”

Rodgers on additional Covid-19 measures: “We’ve been very vigilant in all the work we’ve done. The players have been first class, and the positive tests we’ve had have been minimal and have mostly around staff”

That last line suggests that some players have tested positive then.....

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Southampton now have a prolonged rest (I imagine they'd have rest majority of their side anyway though) ahead of our league game so if we were considering playing some of our biggest players, we might not now. 

Their cup game off?

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Southampton now have a prolonged rest (I imagine they'd have rest majority of their side anyway though) ahead of our league game so if we were considering playing some of our biggest players, we might not now. 

You would have thunk so with their match now off, but Maddison and Vardy are now out for this one anyway.

Sounds like Rodgers actually wants to go for it in this competition:

Rodgers said: "No, it’s going to be the same squad. We’ve got a young squad anyway. It will be primarily what we have in our squad."

He added: “I think it’s our ambition as a club. It’s never been forced on to me. We would love to be able to win a trophy. The competition is high in England. The players, I’m really happy with where we’re at. The FA Cup gives us that possibility and we’ll give everything we can. It’s not a case of resting players. You’re picking the strongest team to win the game."

Although I guess "the strongest team to win the game" is open to interpretation when the game is against Stoke who most likely will be prioritising the league.

5 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Chances are though Soton would've rested plenty anyway so perhaps won't make a huge difference.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

A prolonged rest period isn't always helpful - especially when a team is in good form.

14 hours ago, Japanfox said:

You wouldn't say that if you were born when the FA cup ment something.   That was my highlight of the season, when we were not so good.

Bring the FA cup to Leicester and get our name on it.

Blue army!!!

I’m the wrong side of 50 so not sure how old you have to be , it’s a Tin cup these days, champions league is where it’s at 

play the reserves and we might still have dreams of being champions 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

What bigger fish are we frying ? Winning the FA Cup would be monumental for a club of our size. 

Finishing in the top 4 and getting CL football is a much bigger prize and priority... winning the F A Cup is not monumental these days.

Our squad is strong enough to compete against both Stoke and Southampton whilst allowing certain players to recover and getting serious game time for those that haven’t featured majorly this season so far yet would want to.

Ward

Amartey

Soy

Morgan

Thomas

Praet

Mendy

Chowdhury

Barnes

Iheanacho

Perez

Edited by Fox42

You could qualify for the Champions League and get knocked out in the first round. Win the FA Cup and it's on the honours list for eternity. 

A club like us, who have never won the FA Cup, shouldn't get all sniffy about it. This attitude actually started with entitled fans of elite clubs to justify the times when they were unexpectedly beaten in it. The kind of fans we generally despise. 

The best clubs put trophies in the cabinet and qualify for Europe. That's why teams like Spurs, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are so desperate to win it when they can't win league titles or Champions League. It goes someway to maintaining their status.

Sensible rotation by all means, but let's drop this small club mentality that we can't challenge for both trophies and European competition. That attitude is a sure fire recipe to achieve neither. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nick said:

FA Cup or top four finish... Sorry, it’s a top four finish right now for me because that’s where the money is, it’s how we grow and get to win lots of FA Cups. Would I like to win the FA Cup, hell yeah - but I can wait. It’s not an either or question of course but rotating and resting players when the schedule is tight would be my preference. *Goes off to get tin hat.

I would take winning the FA Cup and finishing eighth this season.

Trophy on the board, European football guaranteed next season.

Yes the UEL isn't as glam or financially good as UCL but we're building, we're a process, Rome wasn't built in a day etc.

• Like 4