Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve Earle

Stoke (a) pre-match thread

1 hour ago, Nick said:

FA Cup or top four finish... Sorry, it’s a top four finish right now for me because that’s where the money is, it’s how we grow and get to win lots of FA Cups. Would I like to win the FA Cup, hell yeah - but I can wait. It’s not an either or question of course but rotating and resting players when the schedule is tight would be my preference. *Goes off to get tin hat.

FA Cup for me, football in my eyes is all about winning things. Look at Spurs 6 top 4 finishes in the last 10 seasons.

They are having one of the best periods in their clubs history and what do they have to show for it???

Nothing!!! They have won the same in the last 20 as Wigan, Birmingham City and Swansea.

We know as Leicester fans we are in a glory period for our club, and we know we are owners walking away, or a poor management appointment from it all ending just like when MON walked away.

Whilst we are hot, do we want to remember those 4th place finishes or actual trophies in the cabinet?

As a supporter of Leicester City I want to see us successful and winning trophies. That starts tomorrow against Stoke. 
Liverpool and Manchester City are the only teams I think have a better chance of winning this competition than us.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Mate, in another post you say Spurs are desperate to win a trophy. Let’s be frank, we should be just as desperate. 

We have four major trophies in our cabinet. Our last major final was in 2000. We made it to our first semi final after yonks just last year. 

Any major trophy that we can get our hands on cannot be looked down on. We have no right as a club to belittle any major trophy. 

If we make the champions league - fabulous. However, this is arguably one of our best periods as a football club. If you tell me we keep this side together and add to it for 5 years and at the end, we do not have signal bit of silverware to show for it, we’ll be as laughable as Spurs who we enjoy jesting. 

I’ll admit it happily, Arsenal had a shit season last year but I was jealous of them. They had one of their worse seasons for many years but still brought home a trophy. 

This club needs trophies to establish a legacy. 

The fact you are even directly comparing us to Spurs shows how far we have come.

Forest haven't even played in the Premier League this millennium. 

I think a covid hit FA Cup pales in comparison to more nights in the Champions League.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 16:52, Nalis said:

I'd go the same way but I'd put Perez where you have Barnes and give Iheanacho one last chance up front.

The flip side with your side is that we could test Perez up front and if he does well he can be Vardy's understudy instead of Nacho.

Nacho IS a Championship forward.  He should have this lot for breakfast.

If not, BIN- we CANNOT keep a forward with a worse goal rate than Akinbadbuy

Edited by filthyfox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

The fact you are even directly comparing us to Spurs shows how far we have come.

I think a covid hit FA Cup pales in comparison to more nights in the Champions League.

I just don't understand this way of thinking.  How can entering a competition be worth more than winning a competition, unless pound signs is all that matters?

Trophies are in the bank forever.

• Like 2

With Vardy and Mads out play Nacho in a hope he can take the chance. I don't think he HAS to score (though it is ideal) but I just want to see him make an impact and disrupt their defense so we create changes for other players (as Vardy does). He has to be a danger for the opposition. Even Benteke makes a positive impact for Palace. If he doesn't it will be another good bit of evidence that BR can use to ask for a new striker (hopefully in this winter transfer window but definitely in the summer). 

I don't think for a second the team will go out with anything but the mindset to win. I'm certain BR will also demand it. It's whether they can perform and do what is expected of them. People can argue we shouldn't risk it and play our main players but what if they get injured, what if the extra playing time tires them for games in the PL and Europe. They're all probably running around with small injuries and issues that need monitoring. BR is managing the squad. Semi's, sure play our best players. But not Stoke in the third round. If a mix of our first team and second can't beat them then we need to address it. 

Edited by Hoopla10

23 minutes ago, murphy said:

I just don't understand this way of thinking.  How can entering a competition be worth more than winning a competition, unless pound signs is all that matters?

Trophies are in the bank forever.

Unfortunatly pound signs do matter and getting in the champions league regularly moves your club to the next bracket, we have apparently looked at wingers in the last few years who turned us down but jumped at the chance to join Chelsea and Tottenham. It's all well and good to sell players on for high value but where does that get you if good players don't want to come. I'd sooner we continue in the direction we're going and be able to compete regularly in every copetition rather than derail the plan and become a team who once won the FA cup.

2 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Unfortunatly pound signs do matter and getting in the champions league regularly moves your club to the next bracket, we have apparently looked at wingers in the last few years who turned us down but jumped at the chance to join Chelsea and Tottenham. It's all well and good to sell players on for high value but where does that get you if good players don't want to come. I'd sooner we continue in the direction we're going and be able to compete regularly in every copetition rather than derail the plan and become a team who once won the FA cup.

Yeah, they do, which is why I was so disappointed that we collapsed last year and it matters in attracting players as you say.  I do think that 'regular' Champions League football is a bit optimistic though and not realistic for a club like ours.  I would just ask that if we turn our noses up at trophies, then what is it all for?

Glory over growth for me any day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

Yeah, they do, which is why I was so disappointed that we collapsed last year and it matters in attracting players as you say.  I do think that 'regular' Champions League football is a bit optimistic though and not realistic for a club like ours.  I would just ask that if we turn our noses up at trophies, then what is it all for?

I dissagree, I think the club see qualifying for the champions league to be realsitic for a club like ours, wev'e just built one of the best training facilities in europe and reportedly our manager is the third highest paid in the prem.

36 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I dissagree, I think the club see qualifying for the champions league to be realsitic for a club like ours, wev'e just built one of the best training facilities in europe and reportedly our manager is the third highest paid in the prem.

Fair enough, we can agree to differ but there are at least half a dozen clubs that operate n a completely different financial league to us and there are only four CL places.  We are punching above our weight but it isn't sustainable in the long term, nor a realistic expectation imo.  Remember, we have never qualified for CL except for the title win which was a miracle. 

I should also add that we are a team that is heavily reliant on a certain Jamie Vardy.  When he goes, things could look very different for us.

Edited by murphy

On 07/01/2021 at 00:14, weller54 said:

Play the U23's..

We've bigger fish to fry than worrying about winning a Mickey mouse domestic cup.

:dunno:

This is football, you Dont get to chose... Please also note...its the cup competitions,

where  the top teams usually find or keep their form and players start to make their names...I

Plus so far,  We Haven t been Good enough to win that Mickey Mouse cup....I

Its the Domestic competitions, that most fans want First chalked up....not...

Donald Duck European thingy-me-bob cups...

4 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

I’m not saying we haven’t come a long way. We certainly have. Our discussion is what means more, the champions league or winning trophies. We certainly were not having that convo ten years ago. 

What I am saying is, to get to the next level. The club we want to be, we need a trophy cabinet that takes more then 5 minutes to look at on the stadium tour. Adding to that cabinet enhances us as a club as much as champions league qualification. 

Ive always said it, Sevilla are a club we should look up to. They’ve made themselves a big club by dominating Europe’s second tournament. They’ve not won the Champions League but can attract a higher Calibre of player then us. It’s because after many years, they sit potential signings down and say, we are now able to qualify for the CL, we win things and we have decent facilities. 

If we make the top 6 this year and add a trophy, that is a highly successful season. We’ll be more appealing as a result. I also think we have the squad to concentrate on two competitions. 

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I totally agree with your overall sentiment that a club of our size and silverware history shouldn't be turning our noses up at trophies. 

However, I don't understand this mindset at all. Growth can result in glory. If we, as you said, keep this side largely together over the next 3-5 years, that's what gives us the best chance of competing at the top of the table and getting further and further in each competition. 

The good thing of course, is that it's not a binary finish top 6 OR win a cup, anyhow. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nick said:

FA Cup or top four finish... Sorry, it’s a top four finish right now for me because that’s where the money is, it’s how we grow and get to win lots of FA Cups. Would I like to win the FA Cup, hell yeah - but I can wait. It’s not an either or question of course but rotating and resting players when the schedule is tight would be my preference. *Goes off to get tin hat.

It’s a tough one to answer as we have seen with the mixed replies, I guess we really need to ask Portsmouth, Wigan & Wimbledon fans for an honest opinion.

I’m on the fence personally, win the FA cup it’s in the “bank of history” and I’d love us to complete the set but the downside being who really cares outside of our fan base v’s continued Champions Lge places which heightens the club profile which leads to a bigger fan base, better players and more revenue.
Globally were Spurs raved about prior to champions Lge spots despite winning a clutch of FA cups in the early 80s, same with Chelsea and Man C more recently, a club has to start somewhere to become a giant and I’d like to think we have moved a couple of rungs up the ladder with the title win and our recent Lge positioning

Maybe not so much on the fence after all, get continued top 4 spots and history shows you are more likely to win the FA cup anyway, just picking the past 30yrs only 3 clubs have won the FA cup outside of the clubs that normally get the top 4 positions and could go back further it doesn’t change much.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Top 4 is not happening. FA Cup should be our number one priority this season whilst we are still in it.

More so than the Europe League? We are averaging just under 2 points a game which will have us in and around the top 4, its going to be very hard to get top 4 but so is winning either cup. I wouldn't prioritise the FA Cup though just yet, the first few rounds are prior to the restart of the EL so we can still take it very seriously anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I totally agree with your overall sentiment that a club of our size and silverware history shouldn't be turning our noses up at trophies. 

However, I don't understand this mindset at all. Growth can result in glory. If we, as you said, keep this side largely together over the next 3-5 years, that's what gives us the best chance of competing at the top of the table and getting further and further in each competition. 

The good thing of course, is that it's not a binary finish top 6 OR win a cup, anyhow. 

True, I agree with all of that.  What I am saying I suppose is if I were given a choice between finishing 7th or 8th and winning the cup or finish 4th and qualify for CL, I would choose the former but of course, I want both.  I would like to see us take the cup seriously rather than dismissing it by playing weakened teams in order to protect our league position.

I admire the thinker's and tactician's who rightly go through stats and what if's etc etc.

But I cant help thinking we should approach every single match with the mindset of winning, including a potential FA Cup, to devalue any game or Cup competition in favour of other maybe's and what if's is setting the wrong mindset, there is only one message try as hard as anything to win everything, surely that's all we can ask.