Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Gray joins Bayer Leverkusen

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown
5 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

I bet even Steve Walsh himself was surprised with how good he actually was.

I spent a couple of minutes wondering why on earth you thought Walshy was such a great judge of players.

Then I remembered the other Steve Walsh!

13 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

How many of us fans had heard of Kante before we signed him? We were more annoyed we’d lost Cambiasso. Nobody could have predicted the season we had... I read somewhere Kante didn’t really want to sign for us but didn’t get any other offers and was advised to come to play in the prem. So if no one was interested then why would they be a year later? We also offered Kante a new contract (to remove the release clause) after we won the league so this also shows we didn’t want/expect him to leave after one season. 

I remember when Tevez and Mascherano signed for West Ham... everyone knew they weren’t staying long and would become world class players... no one knew that would be the case with Kante. I bet even Steve Walsh himself was surprised with how good he actually was.

...probably a good point to start is why was a buy out clause inserted in his contract!!!

True there was not another option on the table for him and as the window was coming to a close, we were the last offer on the table. It therefore seems that he was not too enthused to be coming to our club and had to fulfil his obligation, playing the season for us. The fact that he left at the end of the season only serves to prove he only considered one season to be his term here.

I also believe like a lot of African players he was sending money back to support his family, and he was extremely frugal in what he spent his money on, and coming into training in a beat up car and scooter perhaps emphasised that money was a big influence to his move and not just for his own sake. I am sure I have read that he still drives an understated car to training, and is held in high esteem by his previous club mates.

On 07/02/2021 at 17:00, sacreblueits442 said:

...probably a good point to start is why was a buy out clause inserted in his contract!!!

True there was not another option on the table for him and as the window was coming to a close, we were the last offer on the table. It therefore seems that he was not too enthused to be coming to our club and had to fulfil his obligation, playing the season for us. The fact that he left at the end of the season only serves to prove he only considered one season to be his term here.

I also believe like a lot of African players he was sending money back to support his family, and he was extremely frugal in what he spent his money on, and coming into training in a beat up car and scooter perhaps emphasised that money was a big influence to his move and not just for his own sake. I am sure I have read that he still drives an understated car to training, and is held in high esteem by his previous club mates.

I thought it was a fairly well known fact- he agreed to come on the  proviso that if a top club came in for him, he could go. The club always knew this. Had he not been allowed that clause, he was prepared to wait it out another season such was his trajectory, he thought he’d be able to get a big club one season later anyway.

Turns out that we benefited massively even having him for just one season.

On 08/02/2021 at 03:46, dylanlegend said:

I dunno why the love in so much for Kante. He was one of the least loyal players we’ve ever had. One great season yes but jumped ship at first opportunity, I’m still annoyed he left before our UCL year to be honest. 

yes - but we got good money for him

He is a pale shadow of his glory years. I mean who has heard of/from Kante of late.  he is very quiet in Chelski.

Same with Chilwell , Drinkwater - sold all for decent amount of $$$.

Gray is good value for money

Just now, erlee said:

that;s your opinion.

noticed how many time Albrighton gave the ball away today - just piss poor until he was subbed off. just piss poor.

Gotta disagree there - statistically we are a much better team with him in, and forget the objective, subjectively for me he is mr consistent, has such a good understanding and relationship with so many players and works his balls off every game. Yes not the most technically blessed player, but he does what he does and he does it fvckin well

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, erlee said:

image.png.e8e17814518562cf89e928e92d02c423.png

Similarly, what would you find if you dredged up Gray's ratings from the last 2 seasons (18-19, 19-20)?

edit: having looked at 18-19, Gray was consistently the lowest rated player for matches alongside Ghezzal and Kels... and considerably lower than Albrighton's 5.6 on occasions

Edited by JR99
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, erlee said:

that;s your opinion.

noticed how many times Albrighton gave the ball away today - just piss poor until he was subbed off. just piss poor.

Albrighton didn’t have a good game against Liverpool, but that was unusual. He’s been consistently solid this season.

Edited by LanguedocFox

6 hours ago, erlee said:

that;s your opinion.

noticed how many times Albrighton gave the ball away today - just piss poor until he was subbed off. just piss poor.

Because Marc is usually ok to good, Demi is usually poor and he cannot help the team defensively unlike Marc