Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Choudhury

There is no need for such a binary distinction on every single player/position. We have a squad, we get injuries, certain situations are best served with alternate personnel. Mendy covers well for Wilf in most situations, Hamza in others. Whilst I am at it, once we are start talking about one of our own then objectivity is at risk. 

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

I do wonder if his confidence and development has been chopped by Klopp's unwarranted and vitriolic attack on him purely to deflect from the inadequacies of Liverpool that day.

Let's be honest, it probably makes fvck all difference and people only really keep bringing this up because they've got a chip on their shoulder and it's a chance to moan about Klopp.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

There is no need for such a binary distinction on every single player/position. We have a squad, we get injuries, certain situations are best served with alternate personnel. Mendy covers well for Wilf in most situations, Hamza in others. Whilst I am at it, once we are start talking about one of our then objectivity is at risk. 

Objectivity :hamza: Foxestalk?

6 minutes ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

I do wonder if his confidence and development has been chopped by Klopp's unwarranted and vitriolic attack on him purely to deflect from the inadequacies of Liverpool that day.

Why would anyone care what Klopp thinks? About anything really.

Mendy would be fine if he played alongside athletic players but Maddison and Tielemans are two of our key players. Neither of them are particularly strong runners so they need a monstrous player in Ndidi to cover their shortcomings. The first and third we conceded against Leeds showed up Mendy's weaknesses badly - he's not a bad player but I don't think he suits the balance of our side at all. We need an Ibrahim Sangare/Anguissa/Cheick Doucoure type as our second choice DM who can play in a box to box role too. Man City's hegemony of Fernandinho, KDB and Silva was disrupted by Liverpool's midfield physicality and they've since become more physical at the cost of some refinement by adding Rodri into the mix. Mendy, Tielemans and Maddison absolutely have to dominate possession of the ball for us to be in contention of winning a game otherwise we can't apply pressure centrally.

As for Mendy being better on the ball than Ndidi, I don't totally agree. Looking at FBref Mendy is a higher volume passer so his stats are generally better but they're not too far clear of Ndidi - who three years ago the consensus was barely let him have the ball at all. Mendy keeps things ticking over but Ndidi often injects a bit speed into our play in a way Mendy doesn't.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Why would anyone care what Klopp thinks? About anything really.

Bit of an insular comment.  I and you don't care - but our thoughts we can be avoided.  Klopp's thoughts were back page headlines and still get dragged up even now - reference Hamza's proposed move to Newcastle.  Every report nearly made reference to either the tackle or Klopp.  The name Klopp sells papers, whatever our thoughts are on the tw*t

14 hours ago, shailen said:

I don't see this personally. He's good at playing the ball sideways but I've never seen him drive with the ball and make a forward telling pass. Against teams like Fulham we lose a creative player in this regards whereas Hamza has better stability imo in attack and defence. 

One that sticks out in my head was the build up for the penalty for our first goal away at Man City.

10 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Mendy would be fine if he played alongside athletic players but Maddison and Tielemans are two of our key players.

This is a totally fair comment, but it only takes someone unreasonable (and for clarity, not suggesting that's you in any way) to twist that and make every error the two players named to be the fault of Mendy. So I agree about the need for balance for the reason you stated, totally, but am just showing how easily that can be used against a blameless player. It's a little bit like games where a striker has been said to have had a stinker, when in actual fact the ball never went anywhere near him - and that has happened to Vardy often enough.

• Like 2

My view is that they’re different players with different strengths. Mendy is better on the ball, where as Hamza has better physicality. Therefore I think the decision to start Hamza yesterday was the right one to combat Fulham’s more physical players ie. Anguissa and RLC. Similarly in hindsight I feel Hamza would have been a better bet for the Leeds game as well as he has a bit more physicality and Leeds play a very aggressive game and with Maddison and Tielemans neither being particularly physical we got bullied somewhat with Mendy there. 

However, Hamza can be a bit positionally suspect and Mendy is tidier on the ball so i feel we could get away with Mendy alongside Youri and Maddison against wolves as they will likely be up against Neves and Moutinho who are unlikely to dominate us physically in midfield. So they are both decent players and both have their uses depending on the opposition or setup. But that said neither come close to Wilf who provides a much better overall balance to our midfield. Saw a stat after yesterday’s game that we have won only 6/22 games without Wilf since he signed which just highlights his importance to the side. And similarly our win percentage when all 3 of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison have started is far superior to when we have started with the 3 of them. 

• Like 4

Choudhury definitely suits our normal system more than Mendy imo, he's more athletic and presses better.

The problem is Choudhury has an absolute howler in his locker, he nearly had one against Fulham but was bailed out by the defence when he attempted a lovely through ball to one of their players in our own box.

Mendy is clearly the better player but Choudhury is better as an out and out Wilf deputy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

Bit of an insular comment.  I and you don't care - but our thoughts we can be avoided.  Klopp's thoughts were back page headlines and still get dragged up even now - reference Hamza's proposed move to Newcastle.  Every report nearly made reference to either the tackle or Klopp.  The name Klopp sells papers, whatever our thoughts are on the tw*t

"insular" I looked it up and now know what it means:). If Hamza gives two Sxxts about what Klopp said about him and its holding him back then he needs to find a new career. If anything he should have used it as incentive.

7 hours ago, Stadt said:

Mendy would be fine if he played alongside athletic players but Maddison and Tielemans are two of our key players. Neither of them are particularly strong runners so they need a monstrous player in Ndidi to cover their shortcomings. The first and third we conceded against Leeds showed up Mendy's weaknesses badly - he's not a bad player but I don't think he suits the balance of our side at all. We need an Ibrahim Sangare/Anguissa/Cheick Doucoure type as our second choice DM who can play in a box to box role too. Man City's hegemony of Fernandinho, KDB and Silva was disrupted by Liverpool's midfield physicality and they've since become more physical at the cost of some refinement by adding Rodri into the mix. Mendy, Tielemans and Maddison absolutely have to dominate possession of the ball for us to be in contention of winning a game otherwise we can't apply pressure centrally.

As for Mendy being better on the ball than Ndidi, I don't totally agree. Looking at FBref Mendy is a higher volume passer so his stats are generally better but they're not too far clear of Ndidi - who three years ago the consensus was barely let him have the ball at all. Mendy keeps things ticking over but Ndidi often injects a bit speed into our play in a way Mendy doesn't.

Very good post and the only one I agree with.

Anyone who says Mendy is better on the ball than Ndidi is absolutely clueless 🤣. Ndidi over the last 2 seasons has been absolutely fantastic on the ball and is not worth even mentioning in the same breath.

As for the Hamza Mendy debate, It’s quite obvious whose the better player.

There both limited as such, And both of them get over run in midfield due to different reasons(Mendy because he’s too weak and not athletic enough, Hamza because his positional awareness goes wayward as times). Obviously this is why Wilf is on another planet.

However if Wilf is out, Hamza is the better bet. His limitations could cost us to be caught out but at least he has the engine to run back and cause mayhem and presses.
I thought Hamza was very very good yesterday on the whole, maybe not world class as stringer said, but certainly a massive improvement on Mendy.

Tielemens and Madders always play poorly with Mendy too because there not physical either so they need a more physical player next to them.

The biggest factor that BR clearly know too, is that whenever Mendy plays, we HAVE to go 5 atb or we get over run.

Our record with Mendy in a 433 is awful and so we have to then go 5 atb which in turn makes us play worse and not to our teams strengths, then we wonder why the rest of the team ‘struggle’ in them situations.

Simple thing is , we have to play 433 100% of the time! And because of this Hamza is the best option when Wilf is out. I fully expect him to start at Wolves now and gives us a much better chance to win.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

Personally I think it’s more the sending off at Wolves. Basically everything that was said about by him from arses like Klopp and Bruce became true in the eyes of the public and media. 

37 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Anyone who says Mendy is better on the ball than Ndidi is absolutely clueless 🤣. Ndidi over the last 2 seasons has been absolutely fantastic on the ball and is not worth even mentioning in the same breath.

There both limited as such, And both of them get over run in midfield due to different reasons(Mendy because he’s too weak and not athletic enough, Hamza because his positional awareness goes wayward as times). Obviously this is why Wilf is on another planet.

However if Wilf is out, Hamza is the better bet. His limitations could cost us to be caught out but at least he has the engine to run back and cause mayhem and presses.
I thought Hamza was very very good yesterday on the whole, maybe not world class as stringer said, but certainly a massive improvement on Mendy.

Tielemens and Madders always play poorly with Mendy too because there not physical either so they need a more physical player next to them.

The biggest factor that BR clearly know too, is that whenever Mendy plays, we HAVE to go 5 atb or we get over run.

Our record with Mendy in a 433 is awful and so we have to then go 5 atb which in turn makes us play worse and not to our teams strengths, then we wonder why the rest of the team ‘struggle’ in them situations.

Simple thing is , we have to play 433 100% of the time! And because of this Hamza is the best option when Wilf is out. I fully expect him to start at Wolves now and gives us a much better chance to win.

You’re so blinkered by your dislike of Mendy that you’ve lost all sense of reason, He was fine early season whilst filling in for Wilf, and he gained a lot of plaudits. 
Yes Wilf is better than both Mendy and Hamza but your personal campaign against him is just odd.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Completely ignoring the stats that prove Mendy is a better player with the ball?

Your obsession with Mendy is a bit weird, even more so than Graeme Souness with Pogba

Edited by moore_94

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

I don't see how you can conitnue to keep blaming Mendy when we are sitting 3rd in the table?!!?

We lose games because 80% off the team have a shit game or it could simply be down to fatigue.

We are 3rd in the table despite Mendy.

Like I said if I think Mendy is not good enough, it’s no different than others slating Nacho, Albrighton, Hamza, Perez or even Vardy people slated in 2013. It’s my opinion.

This is a thread about Hamza. I think Hamza played very well last night, maybe not world class(stringer way over the top) but still very good performance and we were worse without him in the last 30 minutes.

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Completely ignoring the stats that prove Mendy is a better player for attacking play with the ball?

Your obsession with Mendy is a bit weird, even more so than Graeme Souness with Pogba

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

You’re so blinkered by your dislike of Mendy that you’ve lost all sense of reason, He was fine early season whilst filling in for Wilf, and he gained a lot of plaudits. 
Yes Wilf is better than both Mendy and Hamza but your personal campaign against him is just odd.

To both of these messages..it’s nothing personal to Mendy. This is a thread about Hamza and I think he was very good last night , compliments us better and a better replacement for Wilf.

I don’t want to go round in circles talking about Mendy. We know I don’t rate him so there’s no point going on about him.

I’m on here for my opinion on Hamza and I was impressed and proud of his performance last night.
He’s a Leicester boy and he’s done really well to come in from the cold and play like that last night and I hope he starts again vs Wolves.

Edited by deanolegend1989

10 hours ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

He received a lot of vitriol on social media too, including racist stuff, I believe.  Of course, he would have been wise to have ignored social media altogether, but modern day footballers seem to be magnetised by it.

• Like 1