Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Rodgers: warns players not to seek validation for performances on social media

I liked what Kasper said in the high performance podcast. He doesn't actively look for people's comments on social media, he has his trusted people that he will discuss his performance with and also knows himself how well he's performed.

Obviously the younger lads have been on social media since they could hold a phone so it's just the norm to them. I'll happily criticise or praise a performance on here and try to remain constructive (unless I'm in the match thread, then it's a shoot out haha). To actively message a player or their account and send them abuse isn't on though. It's a trash move and says a lot about that person. 

• Like 4

I know certain players used to read this forum, it has been mentioned many a time in the past. Even one of our managers wives used to read read it!

Some people will criticise a players performance no matter what. We all have players that we like / dislike.

More fool the player for taking note of what comments are made.

Saying that it's one thing to criticise the performance, quite another to be abusive in any way shape or form.

I cannot understand why some people feel that it's ok to be abusive, I'm sure that they would not like to be treated in that way so why do they bother?

I'm sure some do have a nosy on here! Constructive criticism and discussions are one thing but abusive comments are quite another. It's easy to say don't let it affect you or don't post but they are young lads and social media is massive today. We all use it in one form or another.  Concerning Perez he is one of the few that interact positively with fans on social media, for example if he is tagged to wish someone happy birthday he always does which makes it even more sad the rubbish he gets. He seems a lovely guy. Chilwell clearly suffered from it and now posts but has comments limited so only friends can comment. Maybe that's the way forward for some players? Abuse in any form is never ok.  From fans too it is really sad. They play for our team.  Discuss points but don't abuse them. Twitter is the worse!

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I'd hazard  a guess that quite a few players read the forum. It's only human nature. 

I felt Madders' fascinating post match interviews hinted at it earlier this season, when he was getting pelters from some on here.  

I think v Sheff utd he felt the need to explain why his no.10 job meant having to take risks- which included an higher chance of being dispossessed or a pass not coming off. Basically addressing comments that had been raised on here.

I can't think any City players would read what is put on this Forum. Obviously Twitter etc but I'd be too busy staying fit, training and getting prepared for te next game both mentally and physically. 

15 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Accountability. If people are allowed anonymity on their platforms, they'll continue to abuse the privilege. 

Don't see why this need continue. If people had to identify themselves, or their identity was public knowledge, they'd necessarily give more thought to what they said. 

Agreed.  At the very least, it ought to be understand that if the police make a request to social media platforms for the identity of a poster, then it will be given to them in exactly the same way as if the police come round to your house asking if you can identify a person in a photo.  You wouldn't get away with a letter making death threats or racist abuse in a newspaper, because the newspaper wouldn't publish it and wouldn't accept that you had a right to anonymity for public comments. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Accountability. If people are allowed anonymity on their platforms, they'll continue to abuse the privilege. 

Don't see why this need continue. If people had to identify themselves, or their identity was public knowledge, they'd necessarily give more thought to what they said. 

Exactly. Ayoze and his posse are coming to your house first. :D

2 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I can't think any City players would read what is put on this Forum. Obviously Twitter etc but I'd be too busy staying fit, training and getting prepared for te next game both mentally and physically. 

I dunno. I'm fairly sure if I had a thread devoted to me, I'd read it. And one way or the other, feel the need to right the occasional wrong.

That maybe down to my own narcissism but I'm pretty sure there's plenty of others who'd be the same 

I noted that one of our admins referred to a youngster who may play on Wednesday as being 'horse-manure'. I started a reply, but gave up, assuming I'd be dubbed a snowflake for objecting. But it did strike me as strange that a Leicester fan would refer to a young player, who hasn't even played for the first team, as 'horse-manure'. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I dunno. I'm fairly sure if I had a thread devoted to me, I'd read it. And one way or the other, feel the need to right the occasional wrong.

That maybe down to my own narcissism but I'm pretty sure there's plenty of others who'd be the same 

Seriously. To think that you, I or anyone on this forum might actually know something more about football than these kids and those who support them is crazy talk. Foxestalk is entertainment and very rarely education.....at least about football.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..lots of down time in this sport..idle hands and all that!!!

Pretty sure quite a few players have read this forum at one time. 

Alan Sheehan had a bit of a thing with Manwell Pablo if I remember.