Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Rodgers: warns players not to seek validation for performances on social media

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I'd hazard  a guess that quite a few players read the forum. It's only human nature. 

I felt Madders' fascinating post match interviews hinted at it earlier this season, when he was getting pelters from some on here.  

I think v Sheff utd he felt the need to explain why his no.10 job meant having to take risks- which included an higher chance of being dispossessed or a pass not coming off. Basically addressing comments that had been raised on here.

His corners improved in fairness 😁

1 minute ago, wokinghamfox said:

You laugh. I worked with an ex pro after he retired and he once told me that he would never go on fans forums as he said it could destroy a player mentally.

They’re prepped to deal with social media/their online presence fairly well but curiosity will take over some players. 

48 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

You laugh. I worked with an ex pro after he retired and he once told me that he would never go on fans forums as he said it could destroy a player mentally.

I wasn't laughing I was serious. 

Anyone sending any sort of abuse to any footballer or any other famous people online is immature and nasty and in the majority of cases you can bet they're acting out at their own inadequacies and insecurities.

I sometimes remember saying some mean things to someone at my school when I was about 14 and still feel bad for being a little shit. How any adult can say things these people do is unconscionable.

• Like 1

It’s surely our right to give our opinion on a player who is playing rubbish and suggesting they get replaced, but to personally insult & threaten them on social media is just beyond the boundaries. Some professional footballers must have massive lists of blocked posters on their accounts... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I'd hazard  a guess that quite a few players read the forum. It's only human nature. 

I felt Madders' fascinating post match interviews hinted at it earlier this season, when he was getting pelters from some on here.  

I think v Sheff utd he felt the need to explain why his no.10 job meant having to take risks- which included an higher chance of being dispossessed or a pass not coming off. Basically addressing comments that had been raised on here.

There's 2 in our current first team squad who definitely do.

Kasper made some excellent points about this in a recent interview.

If people have nothing nice to say and wouldn't say it to their face then don't be a coward and hide behind social media! I'm sure players have training in media and social media but many many people are struggling at the moment so things that potentially wouldn't effect you normally now do. It's a shame as social media is a fantastic way to interact with fans especially in lockdown but sadly it is tainted and ruined by a few.

Well said, Brendan.

Life, let alone football, is about taking the rough with the smooth. And dealing with it.

Too many people feel entitled to an easy ride these days - and whimper and moan about being ‘hurt’, ‘offended’ or even ‘abused’ at the slightest hint of criticism.

On this forum I imagine everyone wants Leicester to do well - which in some cases, in terms of supporting the club and the team as a whole, means calling out and criticising individual players if they give substandard performances (as well of course as showering excellent displays with praise). If it was all a protective, cheerleading love-in for everyone concerned, with no negativity allowed, Foxes Talk would be a boring waste of time.

If players, or even the manager, come on here - and, let’s be honest, why wouldn’t they want to see what the fans think? - then they have to be able to take the rough with the smooth.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I found that Garry Taylor-Fletcher article upsetting when he opened up about how people going on about his weight screwed him up big time. I have certainly made a joke or two at his expense in the past and regret it very much now. 

It’s weird that, seeing as 99% of people were probably in worse shape than Taylor Fletcher anyway 😂

23 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Well said, Brendan.

Life, let alone football, is about taking the rough with the smooth. And dealing with it.

Too many people feel entitled to an easy ride these days - and whimper and moan about being ‘hurt’, ‘offended’ or even ‘abused’ at the slightest hint of criticism.

On this forum I imagine everyone wants Leicester to do well - which in some cases, in terms of supporting the club and the team as a whole, means calling out and criticising individual players if they give substandard performances (as well of course as showering excellent displays with praise). If it was all a protective, cheerleading love-in for everyone concerned, with no negativity allowed, Foxes Talk would be a boring waste of time.

If players, or even the manager, come on here - and, let’s be honest, why wouldn’t they want to see what the fans think? - then they have to be able to take the rough with the smooth.

Well that was depressing.

4 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

He seems a genuinely nice guy who interacts daily with fans on social media, nobody deserves the hammering he gets on here and Twitter 

absoultely. When youre behind a keyboard you forget theres a human at the other end. 

I think many dont even think there messages will reach the person. 

By all means hammer a player on here, if they are looking for an ego boost than thats on them. But sending personal messages is just too far imo

2 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

They’re prepped to deal with social media/their online presence fairly well but curiosity will take over some players. 

I'm sure that no amount of prepping can shield you from the rubbish that some people think is their 'right' to express.

• Like 4

Ultimately, many posters won’t have played football at a high level, so won’t understand the small 1% intrinsic gains in a game of football. 

Many of the forum are just fans, so as a player, you surely take that with a pinch of salt. 

It’s like someone writing about how you undertake your daily work, who has no real understanding and knowledge of the current situation. Some people would take it to heart, some would brush it off. 

When scouting is undertaken now, these are traits that are looked into as well. How does a player handle the torrent of abuse they receive online.

Can you imagine what it would have been like for Beckham in 1998 against Argentina, if Twitter had been around then? 

Ultimately we’re all human. We’re all the same inside and deserve to be treat with respect, or at bare minimal how you expect to be treated by others.

• Like 1