Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

5 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hot take. Will depend on whether someone pays over the odds for one of our players. It's not the active strategy it's made out to be.

Exactly, we've never sold a 1st team player we wanted to keep who didn't ask to leave. We sell because we know it allows us to progress more in the long term but only if that player no longer wants to be here and we can then drive up the value by playing hard ball.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Exactly, we've never sold a 1st team player we wanted to keep who didn't ask to leave. We sell because we know it allows us to progress more in the long term but only if that player no longer wants to be here and we can then drive up the value by playing hard ball.

If any of our bigger names miss out on internationals due to selections I can see them asking Praet etc. But other than that I cant see many being off yet.

27 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

If any of our bigger names miss out on internationals due to selections I can see them asking Praet etc. But other than that I cant see many being off yet.

I think Choudhury will be off and Praet you could see might want to move on. We may well get huge bids for Soyuncu or Fofana as well, the former I think we could be tempted with if the fee is sub £60m, as he's due a huge pay rise and only has 2 years left on his deal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Might be time to make a big sale and reinvest to improve the squad overall.

It all depends on who it is and the interested party.

I look down the squad and the player most replaceable is Soyuncu. I'd have said Maddison a year ago but he has proven himself to be exceptional at times and really progressed into a big game player. I also don't think there will be the interest and therefore price reached that we'd need to agree to sell him.

Many teams want a quality CB and although it would be nuts for us to sell one of ours, the emergence of Fofana and the fact Soyuncu only has 2 years left on his deal could mean we are open to that possibility if he didn't want to sign a new deal. £50-60m allows us to buy a replacement and another quality player in another area of the team.

We don't need much overhaul of this squad. I want to see us bring in 2-3 more 18-20 year old players who will be onnthe fringes competing with the squad and then get a striker, right winger and a left sided centre half and that's about all we need.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I look down the squad and the player most replaceable is Soyuncu. I'd have said Maddison a year ago but he has proven himself to be exceptional at times and really progressed into a big game player. I also don't think there will be the interest and therefore price reached that we'd need to agree to sell him.

Many teams want a quality CB and although it would be nuts for us to sell one of ours, the emergence of Fofana and the fact Soyuncu only has 2 years left on his deal could mean we are open to that possibility if he didn't want to sign a new deal. £50-60m allows us to buy a replacement and another quality player in another area of the team.

We don't need much overhaul of this squad. I want to see us bring in 2-3 more 18-20 year old players who will be onnthe fringes competing with the squad and then get a striker, right winger and a left sided centre half and that's about all we need.

Yeah Soyuncu looks the most dispensible for sure. Decent centre back's are much easier and typically far less expensive to find than say a creative midfielder were someone like Maddison be the one to go.

Just now, pmcla26 said:

I’d rather keep the best 14/15 players and sign a young prospect or bargain deal or two.

Sell Choudhury and possibly Ward (I think he has one year left on contract after this season) then promote Iverson to the bench with Stolarczyk waiting in the wings.

That should give us somewhere between £15-20m to maybe buy Edouard (sorry) or someone else. 

Maybe Ricardo or Soyuncu go, but there’s not much noise around them at the moment, and I don’t see who would buy them. Maybe with just those two sales mentioned above and Champions League money we could be okay to get a couple players in to supplement the squad. 

Henry and Sowah might both be able to step up, might be cheaper to get them in and sign two players for Leuven at less than £5m to develop there. 

Wait until late on in August and Edouard could be available for even less. Not that I want that to happen of course but I fear that's what will happen.

47 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Wait until late on in August and Edouard could be available for even less. Not that I want that to happen of course but I fear that's what will happen.

Looks like very much a buyers market in the summer, a lot of teams in France, etc are struggling financially and if the PL clubs tighten their belts it's going to drive prices down even further as money is very much at a premium.

Bad news for clubs like Celtic who have an asset like Edouard that really needs to be sold this summer to the highest bidder. Cash rich clubs will have a few easy pickings.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I get what you’re saying about Soyuncu (even more so if we’re going 3 at the back long term as it doesn’t really suit him) but, look at how makeshift our back line has been at times during this season.

I think it’s a bit risky to let him go as Evans ain’t getting any younger and the real big clubs will be circling for Fofana in a year or two. 

Personally, I think Ricardo is more dispensable due to the abundance of talented wing backs in world football at the moment, along with Castagne and JJ as two solid options, although I suspect it will take the latter some time to get back to form after his injury.

But then again, before his injury I would say that Ricardo was the one true world class player in our starting 11 before he done his ligaments. 

Also have Thomas and Flynn waiting in the wings on the left, neither are ready to play every week yet, but maybe we keep Ricardo for one more year then who knows? 

I don't want him to go, I love Soyuncu but just looking at around at the rest of our squad and there's no way we will sell Ndidi or Barnes. Maddison I feel is now influential but also his injuries and the pandemic means I don't see anyone coming in with the sort of fee it would take to sell him. Ricardo has injury question marks and teams will rather hope to wait another year where if he hasn't signed a new deal will mean he's available on the cheap.

Other than Soyuncu, Fofana will be courted for a huge fee but I think we wouldn't sell him yet, the other one I'm very fearful of is Tielemans but I'm confident he'll sign a new deal and that will be kicked down the road for another year or two.

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Looks like very much a buyers market in the summer, a lot of teams in France, etc are struggling financially and if the PL clubs tighten their belts it's going to drive prices down even further as money is very much at a premium.

Bad news for clubs like Celtic who have an asset like Edouard that really needs to be sold this summer to the highest bidder. Cash rich clubs will have a few easy pickings.

Burnley will clear up this summer 😂

21 minutes ago, maddisonenthusiast said:

We should do everything we can to sign Ivan Toney, he will be a monster in the Premier League and does suit our style of play.

Given the quotes about tightening belts in the other thread and the re-birth of Iheanacho I'm not sure it'd be wise to spend £30m+ on Toney as that's what it'll probably take to get him.

Celtic could have had him for 7 fckin million in the fckin summer as well. Fckin lawell.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Plenty of the fringe players will be off. Fuchs, Morgan, Jakupovic and James all out of contract. Ghezzal will probably depart permanently for a small fee. Choudhury might be off. The likes of Dewsbury-Hall, Tavares, Leshabela could fill their places and we add higher up in the squad.

Possibly one big player going but that's tough this year, I think we were comfortable losing Maguire and Chilwell, now it's a difficult choice.

Leicester City and Leeds United could make a summer move for Feyenoord midfielder Orkun Kokcu, with Arsenal and Sevilla also linked with the Turkish 20-year-old, who may be made available for the reduced fee of £10m. (La Razon)

• Like 1

Genuinely don’t see any of our main players leaving this summer. Ricardo hasn’t yet proved he can get back to his best, Soyuncu arguably the same. Fofana we wouldn’t see after one season for less than stupid money. Tielemans is here for the medium to long term. Ndidi is worth over £100M and who could/would pay that in this climate? Maddison needs an injury free season, Barnes needs to come back as strong or stronger. So I think they all stay for next season.

We let Morgan, Fuchs, Benkovic, Jakupovic, James, Ghezzal & Choudhury go. Maybe there’s £15M or so to be had there.

We then invest that and maybe another £20-25M if we get CL football, £10-15M if we don’t.

As others have said, priorities in my opinion are a RW/RF, ST & another CM to provide cover for/rotate with Wilf & Youri.

It’d be great to get another CB who can play LCB/LB if required (which makes me doubt Tarkowski coming) and another no 10 or WF to cover/compete with Madders, Perez & Praet. Those, and another winger, might have to wait another year.

Edited by Steve Earle

I think Edouard is most likely to come here. He's already said he want's to team up with Brendan again. The fly in the ointment is Arsenal who are trying to entice him there.

There could be as many as 8 or 9 leaving, including Choudhury and possibly Praet  in the list. Though Praet might need to prove he's over his injury before someone will buy him.

I'm sure he doesn't want to warm the Bench for another year. Plus we have Dewsbury Hall etc to provide backup. that should bring in 30 mil  with Salaries saved.

A Cup final and top 4 would greatly ease things financially,  Then we can then pick up a few bargains in Europe as a lot of Clubs need to sell.   

We'll be better off than most. plus we have some big Assets if we needed to cash in on some of our stars.                  .

It's quite clear we need 2-3 signings, possibly more if any players leave that have played 10+ games for us this season as its highly likely we are going to be in Europe again. 

We so badly need CL qualification and we'll then get to develop this squad how we'd really like to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Might be time to make a big sale and reinvest to improve the squad overall.

...can't see the market justifying such a move this summer, even though it will all be relative, in respect of the market!!!

A new striker, a Winger on a free and a return to a healthier roster would see us fine. We obviously have insufficient funds for what we would like to bring in, but we have a very good and diverse squad.

Ideal summer for me would be:

In: 

Eduoard £15m-£20m

Olise (potentially with KDH in part exchange)

Winger on free transfer 

New contract for Tavares

New contract for Knight

Sowah to return on loan

Improved terms for Barnes, Tielemans, Justin & Fofana 

Out:

Choudhury £15m-£20m

Morgan, Fuchs, James, Jakupovic end of contract 

Ghezzal - anything we can get

Benkovic - anything we can get

Under back to Roma

That would effectively increase our 1st team squad by 4 with a small net spend. Wage bill would be stable taking into account wages of those leaving added to Gray and Slimani wages already saved 

Just now, happy85 said:

wow KDH to leave ???  no chance 

I'd not be that surprised, if an ambitious Championship club (likely one of the relegated PL clubs going down this season) were to offer £10m or so then we might be tempted. All depends how much Rodgers needs to strengthen the squad and what available funds we have. 

Hopefully he gets a chance here next season, needs to end the season in the form he built up earlier in the season. Would be a great bonus to have an additional central midfielder with his skillset.

1 hour ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Ideal summer for me would be:

In: 

Eduoard £15m-£20m

Olise (potentially with KDH in part exchange)

Winger on free transfer 

New contract for Tavares

New contract for Knight

Sowah to return on loan

Improved terms for Barnes, Tielemans, Justin & Fofana 

Out:

Choudhury £15m-£20m

Morgan, Fuchs, James, Jakupovic end of contract 

Ghezzal - anything we can get

Benkovic - anything we can get

Under back to Roma

That would effectively increase our 1st team squad by 4 with a small net spend. Wage bill would be stable taking into account wages of those leaving added to Gray and Slimani wages already saved 

No chance we get 15m-20m for hamza in a buyers market.

I'm pretty sure Knight will be surplus to requirements.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1