Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
st albans fox

Arsenal Home Pre match Sunday 28th at 12.00 on BT1 @ 11.30am

13 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

True. Also not happy with my suggestion of moving Barnes more centrally when he's done so we out wide.

3rd alternative which amalgamates both those formations to a degree while trying to get players into their best positions (Richardo possibly the exception) is maybe this

Kasper

Castagne      Evans    Soyuncu    Thomas

Ndidi        Tielemans

Richardo                                       Barnes

Inheachio 

Vardy

Also think it was interesting to see BR try Richardo more centrally when he came on. While I feel this is a bit like fitting  square pegs into round holes its maybe something he's considering trying for the Arsenal game ...

If we were to put Castagne and Ricardo both in on the right, wouldn't it be marginally better to switch them in the formation above.  That would allow Ricardo to be in his natural fullback position, from where he can be so damaging going forward (and when he does that, Timmy will know how and when to drop back and cover the gap). Whilst Castagne is equally a natural fullback, he has shown good abilty when in the advanced position to cross and contribute offensively in other ways. 

Although Thomas had one of his poorer displays on Thursday (who didn't) i think he must retain his position on the left because of his good interplay with Barnes. 

This then looks a good team in the current circumstances, but as someone pointed out earlier our bench looks very underwhelming.  That shows to what extent we've been devastated by continual injury problems.  Go back a couple of months and fans were remarking what an amazingly good bench we had, and how far we've come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Barnes has had some of his best performances playing with Thomas though, who seems to know when to stay back and leave Barnes to turn thr opposition inside and out on his own.

I like the set up with Castagne and Richardo on one wing and Thomas and Barnes on the other even if its playing Richardo out of position (and yes I  know he's played there in the past).

I think it gives us a lot of attacking play going through the wings.

Problem we have is filling the Maddison role with the players available.

• Like 2

I think it's too simple to say we rested players for the arsenal game. We rested players for the next period of games up until the next international break. There is a difference.

After the disappointing loss on Thursday it does become a bigger game, more for confidence but as long it's an improved performance I'll be happy, even if we don't win the game. When the last time we played well but lost? 

The bigger picture is, 9 points this week outstanding, 7 points excellent, 6 points good, 5 points ok but don't any less than that. 

• Like 1

Just now, foxfan92 said:

I like the set up with Castagne and Richardo on one wing and Thomas and Barnes on the other even if its playing Richardo out of position (and yes I  know he's played there in the past).

I think it gives us a lot of attacking play going through the wings.

Problem we have is filling the Maddison role with the players available.

It's just Ricardo mate, no H :)

I'm not a big fan of him on the wing to be honest. I'd rather have him and castagne in their strongest positions as full back.

it just weakens Ricardos overall game. Id much rather play an actual winger on the right whether it be albrighton or under

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, deep blue said:

If we were to put Castagne and Ricardo both in on the right, wouldn't it be marginally better to switch them in the formation above.  That would allow Ricardo to be in his natural fullback position, from where he can be so damaging going forward (and when he does that, Timmy will know how and when to drop back and cover the gap). Whilst Castagne is equally a natural fullback, he has shown good abilty when in the advanced position to cross and contribute offensively in other ways. 

Although Thomas had one of his poorer displays on Thursday (who didn't) i think he must retain his position on the left because of his good interplay with Barnes. 

This then looks a good team in the current circumstances, but as someone pointed out earlier our bench looks very underwhelming.  That shows to what extent we've been devastated by continual injury problems.  Go back a couple of months and fans were remarking what an amazingly good bench we had, and how far we've come.

Shows how many injuries we have presently. But we had nearly this many towards the start of the season  (think of the makeshift defence we played in a number of games). BR keeps talking about the importance in players being flexible. Hopefully they show they can be again.

6 minutes ago, Dan Gliballs said:

I think we rested players out of necessity for the rest of the season taken as a whole, not for one game.

I'm not so sure. If tomorrow's game had been against say, Fulham or Sheffield Utd I think our starting lineup on Thursday would have been stronger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's just Ricardo mate, no H :)

I'm not a big fan of him on the wing to be honest. I'd rather have him and castagne in their strongest positions as full back.

it just weakens Ricardos overall game. Id much rather play an actual winger on the right whether it be albrighton or under

Lol. I normally read back my messages before sending them.

My issue is .... while I'm Albrighton's biggest fan normally I think he's going through a poor spell and Under on the wing doesn't inspire me much although I keep willing him to put in a good game. 

Since the first few sub appearance where he showed glimpses of potential he's gone backwards on the pitch and never played well in a game he's started.

22 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

Kasper

Ricardo    Evans    Cags       Castagne

Ndidi      Tielemans

Albrighton         Nacho           Barnes

Vardy                     

Given the injury situation this is about as good as we are going to get.

On paper at least Arsenal are strong going forward so we need our most experienced back line playing in the positions they are most comfortable with.  They also have two attacking fullbacks, Harvey has got better at tracking back and I trust Kevin to do the same more than anyone else on the RW.

Youri is an 8 and must play as an 8.  With him and Wilf we have as good a CM pair as anyone in the league so it is madness to nullify this by playing them 30 yards apart which is what happens if we push Youri higher up.

This is a season where we seem to be getting results we don't normally get and we haven't done the double over Arsenal for half a century or more. Therefore we'll win, chill out.

It's that horrid game vs Burnley on Wednesday I can see us having more trouble with.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

This is a season where we seem to be getting results we don't normally get and we haven't done the double over Arsenal for half a century or more. Therefore we'll win, chill out.

It's that horrid game vs Burnley on Wednesday I can see us having more trouble with.

But on the other hand.... Mark Lawrence has predicted a Leicester win...

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Genuine question Bert, not having a pop.

Last night you told Bert you hadn't been a face at the club for some time.

If that's the case is this something you've heard from inside the club or a guess?

It’s not a guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

I think this Ricardo as a winger lunacy has to end.  He’s clearly far more effective as a fullback, and Thomas isn’t worth playing Ricardo out of position to shoehorn in.  Play Pereira and Timmy, whichever sided you like.

At this point I think Kelechi in the Maddison role is worth trying.  Not remotely convinced it’ll work but the alternatives aren’t attractive.

...I  feel the problem in this situation is the lack of faith Rodgers has in Ünder, and would rather have Ricardo in that position than risk a no show from Ünder.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...cannot recall the situation that he was being  used by Puel as, at best an Inside Right!!!

As I recall he was always used wide and did not venture inside.

Ricardo regularly makes forays into the box, whether he's deployed on the wing or rb - arguably that's what modern FBs are expected to do as opposed to pinging the ball in from the by-line. 

17 minutes ago, sdb said:

Just had a look at our fixture run in after this week. Not as easy as I remembered. 

Massive 7 days ahead. Boys are gonna have to dig very deep.

I'll be glad for the breaks in between fixtures for the rest of March though! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Ricardo regularly makes forays into the box, whether he's deployed on the wing or rb - arguably that's what modern FBs are expected to do as opposed to pinging the ball in from the by-line. 

...totally aware of that, but canot recall him making forays into the box in 18/19 season!!!

I would say it is more something that he has been encouraged recently to do, than something that has been part of his game for sometime. I remember his goal against Villa in the league but there is a difference between driving into the box and drifting centrally in open play.

Edited by sacreblueits442

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...totally aware of that, but canot recall him making forays into the box in 18/19 season!!!

I would say it is more something that he has been encouraged recently to do as something that has been part of his game for sometime. I remember his goal against Villa in the league but there is a difference between driving into the box and drifting centrally in open play.

I wasn't by any means suggesting that it was a hallmark of his game, but you'll often see him run at/beat his man and cut into the inside right channel. Something that Chillwell was at time unfairly criticised for not being able to do on the left - or when he did, it was at the expense of Barnes.